• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Thinking about a passage in Romans 7

Here you are conflating the Word - the third person of the Trinity - with the words that he speaks. The Word has spoken the Torah. The Word also said "stand up and walk" and things of that nature. But the words spoken by the One who is called the Word are not himself.

Are you the words that you speak?
The way I see it - the Creator is the Law-Giver. It’s His Creation. His Rules.

He came down in the body of a man - and taught them the rules himself - because those that were trusted to teach were adding leaven - which he wasn’t very fond of.

And there’s no one better to explain something than the Architect himself. And he was the walking Architect. A person can come to that conclusion even without John 1:14. He was teaching people in the synagogues as young as 12 - and the people were astounded by his teaching. So he was indeed the Torah made flesh. Just like he is also the Bread of Life. The Bread of Affliction (Deuteronomy 16:3). The Door. The Lamb of Yahuah (Genesis 22:8). The Tree of Life (grafted into the Olive Tree). The True Vine. The Good Shepherd.

Last edited:
The way I see it - the Creator is the Law-Giver. It’s His Creation. His Rules.

He came down in the body of a man - and taught them the rules himself - because those that were trusted to teach were adding leaven - which he wasn’t very fond of.

And there’s no one better to explain something than the Architect himself. And he was the walking Architect. A person can come to that conclusion even without John 1:14. He was teaching people in the synagogues as young as 12 - and the people were astounded by his teaching.
Yes, agreed.
So he was indeed the Torah made flesh.
No, he was the giver of the Torah. The phrase "Torah made flesh" is a fabrication that does not appear in scripture.
Just like he is also the Bread of Life. The Bread of Affliction (Deuteronomy 16:3). The Door. The Lamb of Yahuah (Genesis 22:8). The Tree of Life (grafted into the Olive Tree). The True Vine. The Good Shepherd.
While yes, he is all of these, as they are in scripture.

You cannot make up a new name for Him, add it to a list of names that do appear in scripture, and think that gives it credibility.

I really must stress that, for me, this discussion has nothing much to do with Torah - that is just one point that is stimulating the discussion. For me it is all fundamentally about the nature of Jesus and God himself. To keep this on track I will remind you all of the comment that kicked off this whole line of discussion:
Consider in regards to this if Messiah must follow and keep Torah, and Torah is of the Father, and the Father is above Messiah in authority, why would we being below Messiah not be bound by the same laws? Why is that so often overlooked?
The hierarchy proposed by @BiblicalLiteralist was Father > Torah > Son. This has very serious ramifications for the nature of God. When you run through the train of logic carefully, you find that if it is true, then Jesus is not God. Because it makes Jesus a subordinate creation underneath the Father and subject to the laws made by the Father, just as humans are. Now, that does not necessarily mean someone is not saved if they believe that - I am controversially ecumenical on this point and don't consider the divinity of Christ to be an essential for salvation (although I believe it is true). But we have to be honest that this is what is being proposed, because it does have serious implications.

Although @Earth_is- initially appeared to agree with this hierarchy, he and @Mark C have actually been proposing a slightly less extreme but nevertheless still problematic hierarchy: Father > Torah = Son. The problem with this hierarchy is that it equates Jesus with the Torah - He is no longer in authority over God's laws / instructions, but just is a personification of those laws. This completely changes how we view Him, and severely diminishes His authority and role. Ultimately, if you take this logic too far, you could minimise Him to the point that you are just left with Judaism.

If either of these controversial positions was supported by clear scripture, I would have to accept them. But the more I question those promoting them, the more I find that they are not scriptural at all, and appear to be simply heresies invented by man.

This could obviously be a very long discussion. I just want to make it very clear what my concern actually is - it is about the nature of Jesus, and the nature of God himself. I'm not debating what laws people should follow, I'm looking far more fundamentally than this and seeing a far more serious issue.

The true hierarchy of the Godhead is Father > Son > all instructions of God (Torah + Gospels). The Father is the head, but both Father and Son are God. And God has given instructions to mankind, delivered by the Word, the Son - He gave the Torah to Moses, and gave further teachings in Matthew - John through his earthly ministry. The Son is not subordinate to these instructions, nor is he equal to them - He is in authority over them, the one who actually gave them to us, he is God himself in the flesh. This is why He is described as the "Lord of the Sabbath" for instance - he is not subject to the Sabbath, he is in authority over it as he is the one who defines it in the first place.

Any theology that diminishes the Son must be viewed with great suspicion.

And the fact that while I click my fingers no elephants are near me proves that clicking my fingers keeps elephants away.
I would have hoped, Samuel, that you understood the difference between PROOF, and the absence of proof.

Based on that illogic (and we've all heard it!) you can't prove 'God exists' or that any text means anything. Much less that they are " original." My point has consistently been the opposite.

There is evidence, which does not constitute mathematical proof, but which IS compelling. And the fact that is CONSISTENT, and I have cited many such, is what makes it ultimately overwhelming.

OTOH, the 'evidence' that "jesus did away with the law" is flatulence, and transparently falsifiable -- an aspect of "clear and convincing evidence" you tend to overlook. But it has, nevertheless, driven many from faith in a falsehod.

Are you willing to drive people from the "Salvation of Yah" [literally, Yahuah] because you can't see a single verse that says He is the "Torah Made Flesh" in a Greek rendering?

I really must stress that, for me, this discussion has nothing much to do with Torah - that is just one point that is stimulating the discussion. For me it is all fundamentally about the nature of Jesus and God himself. To keep this on track I will remind you all of the comment that kicked off this whole line of discussion:

The hierarchy proposed by @BiblicalLiteralist was Father > Torah > Son. This has very serious ramifications for the nature of God. When you run through the train of logic carefully, you find that if it is true, then Jesus is not God. Because it makes Jesus a subordinate creation underneath the Father and subject to the laws made by the Father, just as humans are. Now, that does not necessarily mean someone is not saved if they believe that - I am controversially ecumenical on this point and don't consider the divinity of Christ to be an essential for salvation (although I believe it is true). But we have to be honest that this is what is being proposed, because it does have serious implications.

You were doing fine up until this point. And I, too, was inclined to remind readers that the original question was a good one, and resulted in "iron sharpening iron," which is beneficial.

Although @Earth_is- initially appeared to agree with this hierarchy, he and @Mark C have actually been proposing a slightly less extreme but nevertheless still problematic hierarchy: Father > Torah = Son.
Oh, MAN! Is that a bad twisting!

(And I've already said I wasn't going "metaphysical"!)

BUT THIS YOU CAN LOOK UP!

Deuteronomy chapter 6, in what the Messiah Himself called the "most important commandment" in Scripture!

“Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is echad!

But, whether you think I can "prove" it or not, I can all but guarantee that every one of His earthly disciples knew and could quote that verse IN HEBREW, and that it begins, "Shema Israel, YHVH Elohenu, YHVH echad..."

And here's why that matters. (But, thanks, BTW, for the reminder - this should have been discussed in that "other thread" not long ago!)

The Hebrew word "shema"

שָׁמַע​

(sometimes rendered 'hear,' or 'guard,' or even 'obey' in English) is actually in this case best rendered, IMHO, in the AKJV: "hearken". Which means "Hear AND Obey." It's not enough just to "hear," as Yahushua, the teacher (can we even agree on that?!) pointed out so well in the parable of the father with the two sons, one of whom did in fact, 'shemar'.

But the second part of that phrase is just as important, and is at the heart of a "theological" (and this is why I HATE that word!) dispute that has waged for centuries, if not longer.

The Hebrew word "echad" means "a unity," perhaps even (my paraphrase, admittedly - take it or leave it) an "all-encompassing Whole." It can, depending on context, and there are even masculine and feminine forms, mean a cardinal number, "one". And there is where the metaphysical "rub" is.

I often say, "I can handle calculus, eigenvalues, and differential equations, but can't explain the math that says, 'three is equal to one.' "

But "unity" is a bit easier, and less problematic. He is a [even THE] "Unity". (And, for doubters, even a herd of cattle, or a flock of sheep are "echad." For some here, my contention is that this is how are wives are to be, in our house, and "in Him." Through us as covering. But I can't PROVE that from Scripture either - I just try to make a convincing case. ;) )

So - and this is as "metaphysical" as I will get, and, yes, it is pure "Markology" - my own understanding. Your mileage may vary:

Father, and 'Son,' and 'Ruach' are echad. Aspects of a Unity, a whole. No one can "see" the face of the 'Father'. But that one is "outside the time-space continuum as we know it anyway. Can He project Himself (or - here it comes - at least an "aspect" of Himself) into a Universe of His creation, subject to the laws of spacetime, so as to even project Himself there and interact in the reality of His own creation?

(Try this: Could He even appear as "a prophet like unto Moshe" if He chose?)

Could He even teach His own Instruction, which He Himself Wrote anyway, as He intended? But in the process perhaps even correct what men had said He should'a said? (Matthew 5:21+, repeatedly?)

NOTE: I have linked this before, but I wrote a series of articles, years ago, and have taught on a topic the topic - sometimes called "God as Game Designer" (and, no, it was not original, but I have adapted the concept to teach it as it makes the most sense to me) - for quite a few years now. Here are just two of the earliest, in text form:

"And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.

Now, if you can't see the answer to your issue in here, I guess I can't help you. He, Yahushua, already PROVED that point, to my satisfaction, in Matthew chapter 5!

But, if you can't see that He was His own Instruction, taking the form of man, and projected into THIS 'time-space continuum' as "fully god and fully man," and then teaching His Instruction (not only by Word, but by Action, in "hearing and obeying") I can't cite a single verse in a rendering from Greek to 'prove' it. But, I can't help but note in that sense that He, Himself, never actually claimed, in a single verse, while He walked among them, to be the 'promised Messiah,' either! But I submit that He proved it. You have to read the Scripture as "echad," though, to see that.

The Son is not subordinate to these instructions, nor is he equal to them - He is in authority over them, the one who actually gave them to us, he is God himself in the flesh. This is why He is described as the "Lord of the Sabbath" for instance - he is not subject to the Sabbath, he is in authority over it as he is the one who defines it in the first place.

Amen.

PS> And, regarding this twisting, while I REALLY hate the formulation, I will suggest that this is "less awful":

His 'Name' is approximately equal to His 'Word' is approximately equal to His 'Torah' [Instruction]

They all describe, in slightly different ways, His 'character', and tell us how and why we can trust that His Word "does not return void," and that He "will do" what He says He will. They inspire trust.

Can I 'prove' that from one verse? I guess that depends on context, and whether you understand whatever the 'original was, and whether the copies are accurate. But I contend we can "connect the dots."

(And if we CAN'T - we have no business being critical of those who can't understand Yakov's wives, or the two witnesses for YHVH's multiple wives in Exodus 23 and Jeremiah 3, much less why Peter's dream in Acts 10 isn't a 'proof' about pork sandwiches.)

Although @Earth_is- initially appeared to agree with this hierarchy, he and @Mark C have actually been proposing a slightly less extreme but nevertheless still problematic hierarchy: Father > Torah = Son. The problem with this hierarchy is that it equates Jesus with the Torah - He is no longer in authority over God's laws / instructions, but just is a personification of those laws. This completely changes how we view Him, and severely diminishes His authority and role. Ultimately, if you take this logic too far, you could minimise Him to the point that you are just left with Judaism.

If either of these controversial positions was supported by clear scripture, I would have to accept them. But the more I question those promoting them, the more I find that they are not scriptural at all, and appear to be simply heresies invented by man.

This could obviously be a very long discussion. I just want to make it very clear what my concern actually is - it is about the nature of Jesus, and the nature of God himself. I'm not debating what laws people should follow, I'm looking far more fundamentally than this and seeing a far more serious issue.

The true hierarchy of the Godhead is Father > Son > all instructions of God (Torah + Gospels). The Father is the head, but both Father and Son are God. And God has given instructions to mankind, delivered by the Word, the Son - He gave the Torah to Moses, and gave further teachings in Matthew - John through his earthly ministry. The Son is not subordinate to these instructions, nor is he equal to them - He is in authority over them, the one who actually gave them to us, he is God himself in the flesh. This is why He is described as the "Lord of the Sabbath" for instance - he is not subject to the Sabbath, he is in authority over it as he is the one who defines it in the first place.

I should clarify here that I am not saying the Torah < Messiah, because we know he is the Lord over it. What I am stating is if Torah is a direct expression of his character then it would be hypocritical of him to break Torah because it would break his character. Rules for thee but not for me does not make sense after coming down to correctly teach those rules then to say to disregard them after finishing the lesson. We know Torah is for this world but we also know that it is in the kingdom to come as it shall be written on our hearts. To cast it aside when he never told us to, and even said the opposite does not make sense.

Amein. Starting with "jesus nailed the 'law' to the cross."

And HERE we can cite a 'proof text' (actually, MANY)...starting with II Chronicles 11:4 --

"For if he who comes preaches another jesus whom we
not preached..."
said Paul, well, I'm afraid you might just put up with it. Right again.

Back to the original premise of the thread, I will now suggest that Paul has in fact "shed a little light" himself on this:

"Therefore, my brethren, you also were made to die to the [nomos] through the body of [Messiah] , so that you might be joined to another, to Him [the "Salvation of Yah", literally] who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit for God."
Emphasis added for clarity.

Consider this:

We must 'die to the paganism' of "another jesus" who allegedly "did away with" His own Written Instruction so that we might "bear fruit" for the Real One, Who is echad, and didn't change "one yod or tiddle" of His Word.

That is a clear meaning of to be "born again," in Him, Yahushua, the literal "Salvation of Yah," His earthly 'job description.'

His very Name says that!

Amein. Starting with "jesus nailed the 'law' to the cross."

And HERE we can cite a 'proof te have
ext' (actually, MANY)...starting with II Chronicles 11:4

"For if he who comes preaches another jesus whom we
not preached..."
said Paul, well, I'm afraid you might just put up with it. Right again.

Back to the original premise of the thread, I will now suggest that Paul has in fact "shed a little light" himself on this:

Emphasis added for clarity.

Consider this:

We must 'die to the paganism' of "another jesus" who allegedly "did away with" His own Written Instruction so that we might "bear fruit" for the Real One, Who is echad, and didn't change "one yod or tiddle" of His Word.

That is a clear meaning of to be "born again," in Him, Yahushua, the literal "Salvation of Yah," His earthly 'job description.'

His very Name says that!
In this verse Paul isn't saying we died to an "antinomian view of Christ" in order to be joined to the true "Torah centric" Christ.

He seems to be saying we have already died to the Torah, through the death of Christ and are now joined to the risen Christ personally, and will therefore produce the good fruit of godliness.

He seems to be saying we have already died to the Torah, through the death of Christ and are now joined to the risen Christ personally, and will therefore produce the good fruit of godliness.
Paul's own words:

Romans 3:31 Berean Literal Bible
Do we, then, nullify the Law through faith? Never may it be! Instead, we uphold Law.

Once again - the puzzle pieces don't fit - especially in full context:

Does it make sense that on his 1st coming - he rebuked harshly those that violated his Torah (your worship of me is in vain because you nullify the commandments of the Most High), and then allegedly did exactly what he accused some of the Pharisees of doing - which is nullifying the commandments - but when he returns back the Torah will be once again preached to all the nations? Now - he was speaking to the Jews that knew the law, and should had known better. We gentiles go through sanctification process - by the washing of his Word - but we're not to behave like the rebuked pharisees. What's an example of a good wife?

Proverbs 31:26 - Brenton Septuagint Translation
But she opens her mouth wisely, and according to law (Torah in Hebrew).

If the church is being married to the Risen Messiah - are we not to behave according to what his Word says is an example of a good wife?

The Torah is light.

Those in Christ have died to the world and the paganism. See:

Galatians 5:24
And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.

What is the flesh?

Galatians 5:19
19 Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, 21 envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like. Let me tell you again, as I have before, that anyone living that sort of life will not inherit the Kingdom of God.

Btw - that list in Galatians 5:19 - is a heck a lot more than the few commandments issued in Acts 15; which was for the gentiles just beginning to turn to the Risen Messiah.

Last edited:
Paul's own words:

Romans 3:31 Berean Literal Bible
Do we, then, nullify the Law through faith? Never may it be! Instead, we uphold Law.

Once again - the puzzle pieces don't fit - especially in full context:

Does it make sense that on his 1st coming - he rebuked harshly those that violated his Torah (your worship of me is in vain because you nullify the commandments of the Most High), and then allegedly did exactly what he accused some of the Pharisees of doing - which is nullifying the commandments - but when he returns back the Torah will be once again preached to all the nations? Now - he was speaking to the Jews that knew the law, and should had known better. We gentiles go through sanctification process - by the washing of his Word - but we're not to behave like the rebuked pharisees. What's an example of a good wife?

Proverbs 31:26 - Brenton Septuagint Translation
But she opens her mouth wisely, and according to law (Torah in Hebrew).

If the church is being married to the Risen Messiah - are we not to behave according to what his Word says is an example of a good wife?

The Torah is light.

Those in Christ have died to the world and the paganism. See:

Galatians 5:24
And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.

What is the flesh?

Galatians 5:19
19 Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, 21 envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like. Let me tell you again, as I have before, that anyone living that sort of life will not inherit the Kingdom of God.

Btw - that list in Galatians 5:19 - is a heck a lot more than the few commandments issued in Acts 15; which was for the gentiles just beginning to turn to the Risen Messiah.
For you, Torah seems to be the primary focus, and measure of all things. I believe that is an error.

For the Christian, Christ Himself should now be the Primary Focus, and Measure of all things.

You quoted these passages:

"Galatians 5:24
And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires."

Yes, the believer has been born again to a new and living hope. He does not live to gratify the flesh, but now bears good fruit to God instead.

"Galatians 5:19
19 Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, 21 envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like. Let me tell you again, as I have before, that anyone living that sort of life will not inherit the Kingdom of God."

Yes, and what is your point? We all understand that the bondslaves of Christ must not (and do not) not live that way.

Would you like to add "eats shrimp, and pork, celebrates the incarnation and resurrection of Christ, and goes to church on Sunday" to this list? Paul didn't.

Here we agree:
But the second part of that phrase is just as important, and is at the heart of a "theological" (and this is why I HATE that word!) dispute that has waged for centuries, if not longer.

The Hebrew word "echad" means "a unity," perhaps even (my paraphrase, admittedly - take it or leave it) an "all-encompassing Whole." It can, depending on context, and there are even masculine and feminine forms, mean a cardinal number, "one". And there is where the metaphysical "rub" is.

I often say, "I can handle calculus, eigenvalues, and differential equations, but can't explain the math that says, 'three is equal to one.' "

But "unity" is a bit easier, and less problematic. He is a [even THE] "Unity". (And, for doubters, even a herd of cattle, or a flock of sheep are "echad." For some here, my contention is that this is how are wives are to be, in our house, and "in Him." Through us as covering. But I can't PROVE that from Scripture either - I just try to make a convincing case. ;) )
In other words, on the one hand you have a fairly standard understanding of the nature of the Father and Son as a unity. So do I.

But that means He is not the "Torah made flesh", because that phrase describes something quite different as I have already explained. That phrase is an invention that is designed to shoehorn Torah into Jesus in a manner that is incorrect.

I appreciate you may not mean it that strongly, hence this:
PS> And, regarding this twisting, while I REALLY hate the formulation, I will suggest that this is "less awful":

His 'Name' is approximately equal to His 'Word' is approximately equal to His 'Torah' [Instruction]
That is still problematic. The reason being that the word "Torah" is used specifically to refer to the Mosaic Law, and not to the whole body of instructions of God (including those in the New Testament). If the word "Torah" was truly being used simply as a synonym for ALL of God's instructions to us regardless of where they appear, I'd have less problem with it (I'd still have a technical objection to it but it wouldn't be an error with serious consequences). But that is not how the word is used.

So in practice, saying He is the "Torah made flesh" is both a limiting phrase that reduces Him to just part of his commands, and a theological error that elevates Torah above all other commands of God. It is this phrase itself, which does not appear in scripture, that is "twisting" the scripture.

That's the New Covenant, and I'm already living in it. Millions of us have been for the past two millennia. 👍
Fine - on PART of that. But I refer explicitly to Jer. 31:34 to answer your question on the REST of it. To wit:

"And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know YHVH: for they shall all know Me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith YHVH."
I contend that "all" certainly do NOT. And it IS still necessary to 'teach,' for reasons outlined here.

And I will contend that the full, detailed answer to your question is contained in the 'parameters' of the RE-newed Covenant ('brit', even briti - MY brit, which they broke) and those parts that are, IMHO, without question, NOT in place:

"Behold, the days come, saith YHVH, that I will make a new covenant [brit chadasha] with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah..."

BOTH 'whoring wives,' and both, now, still in exile...and still not reconciled...
("even though I was a husband to them," He reminds...)

And read the rest. Note the reference to BOTH whoring houses, but then specifics to 'beit Israel' (aka, Aholah, the "ten lost tribes", etc) and how He could not POSSIBLY forget His 'chukat' - sometimes rendered "statutes," sometimes "ordinances," but always a specific meaning in the Hebrew: Do this simply because I TELL YOU TO. You won't necessarily understand it...do it anyway!

(Do a study on the Hebrew word, and the uses. Fascinating. Like the 'chuq' of the Red Heiffer. And well over a hundred other uses. Look at the irony of the 'first use' in Genesis 47 (twice, in regard to Pharoah, even!) and then in Exodus 12:24 for the FIRST time by YHVH, with regard to the blood over the doorposts. "Law" again, is a bad rendering; this is far more involved and specific.)

This is my response to the preterist/70 AD claim, too. Jeremiah 13 is NOT, repeat NOT, yet 'fulfilled.'

This may be 'the rub,' although it admittedly surprises me, Samuel, since I have clarified this so often: (I would even say, as Zec no doubt would, to excess...)

That is still problematic. The reason being that the word "Torah" is used specifically to refer to the Mosaic Law, and not to the whole body of instructions of God (including those in the New Testament).
Oh, so wrong. The word "Torah', CAPITALIZED, can, and often is, used to refer to the First Five Books of Scripture, aka 'THE Torah' (and you no doubt prefer the 'Pentateuch') but the word 'torah' - used well over 200 times in that form alone in His Word, look it up - means "instruction". His 'teaching and instruction.' Again, for the thousandth time, translating (and conflating) it as "law" (or via "nomos") is misleading, VERY incomplete at bare minimum, and is WRONG.

Let me FIX that:

The word "torah" [small-t] is used specifically to refer to the whole body of instructions of God (including those in the New Testament).
It is precisely what the Hebrew word MEANS. And THAT is why it is NOT, repeat NOT, equivalent to the word "nomos," or to the word "law."

So, since the rest of your comment emphasizes the error that I have tried to correct more times than I can count, let me try it THIS way:

He, Yahushua, the "Salvation of Yah" (which is what His Name means, literally, in Hebrew) is the Mighty Counselor, THE Teacher of ALL Teachers, the Author of His Own Word, THE INSTRUCTOR of What He Wrote, Who came in the Flesh to TEACH His Instruction.

One more time: He is, was, and will be -- THE Way, the Life, THE Truth, The Word, THE Instruction AND Instructor, and THE Creator, Who is 'echad' AND, Who came to us in the flesh.

But that is not what is communicated to the hearer when they hear the word "Torah". As such, the statement "the Torah made flesh", as it will be heard by the listener, is misleading to the listener.

Back