• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

This may give you a good laugh

Rose of Sharon

Real Person
Female
My 13 yr old daughter is working on her history and answering problems. 7 yr old son is taking a break from his work and turned on the TV. I took my 5 yr old outside to hang towels on the line to dry. I then hear my 13 yr old yelling at her brother. She opens the door and tells me that he is watching something he is not supposed to. I look up on the clothes line and find a locust shell. Hmmm. :) He has no clue what it is and I carry it in the house. He freaks out. I place it in the jar and put a lid on it. He cannot tell if it is dead or alive. I told him that I will open the lid if I catch him watching anything not appropriate. It seems to be working. :)

That is funny.....but it wouldn't work here. Our kids love to collect cicadas that are ready to hatch and put them on the window screens inside. They watch them come out, then let them go the next day.

That is funny.....but it wouldn't work here. Our kids love to collect cicadas that are ready to hatch and put them on the window screens inside. They watch them come out, then let them go the next day.
That's good. We live somewhat out in the country but we rarely get to see things here. This is the first year that I have seen locust. We have plenty of birds here so I have empty nest in my home.

I wish something like that would work with my boys.. lol but when they're catching and putting garden snakes on each other.. ugh.. a locust will do nothing..

On an off note, the nearest thing we've ever seen regarding cicadas @Joleneakamama was watching one shed it's outer shell. Super random happenstance...

I wish something like that would work with my boys.. lol but when they're catching and putting garden snakes on each other.. ugh.. a locust will do nothing..

On an off note, the nearest thing we've ever seen regarding cicadas @Joleneakamama was watching one shed it's outer shell. Super random happenstance...
It's not exactly random, they crawl up out of the ground onto trees and such when they are ready to hatch/shed, so out with a flashlight at night our children would often bring in a dozen or more.

Ugh that was supposed to be neatest not nearest.. stupid phone.. and random being we weren't making an effort but it showed up on a stump at our campfire.. we never did look for them. There was one summer it was a mass hatch of cicadas.. they were EVERYWHERE and hurting my fruit trees too. It was so very loud that year lol You could find 5 or 6 of the buggers on any given bush practically!

I haven't seen cicadas in years. Where I grew up there were thousands of them every summer. My mother was terrified of them, and it was the strangest thing because they would always attack her. We'd be walking along and they wouldn't come anywhere near us, but they'd be divebombing her and bouncing off her head and getting stuck in her hair. They never touched the rest of us.
Where I live now there are some in the public gardens in the city, but none out in the country where we are.

There was one summer it was a mass hatch of cicadas..
It's called a mast year when they do this, I think. It's every 13 years or so.

You are nailing it as a parent!

I’m always looking for choice bits of parenting advice but, sadly, it wouldn't work with my kids. Mine try to find the biggest, scariest bugs to take in and give to our friends at the local cooperative extension. Let’s just say we have a large bug index here in our little town. Hahaha

This year we are having a grasshopper migration. Or so we are told. I feel like they might just be settling here. :( It’s crazy amounts of grasshoppers. Take a step you are likely to kill one and hundreds jump out of the way. All summer it has been a competition to see who can catch the biggest one. My youngest son found one that was 3 inches long and almost 5 inches across with wings extended. We were sure it was dead. He scooped it up on a shovel to make sure. It didn’t move at all. He picked it up in his hands and took it inside so we could finish our work. Well, when we came inside it’s wings were no longer out and it was climbing the window sill!!! :eek: That was a fun adventure. Hahaha

Back