• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Thought for the Day: Polygyny Does not Make One a Patriarch

Dr. K.R. Allen

Real Person
Be on the look out for a backwards idea that has flooded the polygyny circles. Some erroneously believe the thrust of the Bible is on polygyny. That is terribly wrong headed. The thrust of the Bible in regard to the family is on patriarchal or headship leadership as the man leads like Christ leads his people. Quality and strength are the issues not the numbers per se. A godly home and mature home that has Christ-like qualities in it can be done with or without polygyny. In fact Polygyny is only one small element or extension of the doctrine and not even the main point at that.

Just because someone embraces polygyny does not mean the person is a truly a mature or wise or capable leader. A godly leader has the maturity to guide, lead, govern, and rule over his household. Some people in male bodies discover polygyny but are still not yet wise or capable men. I know some men who want another lady and they still have not yet taken the reigns of leadership over the heart of their first lady. Yet even so they are aggressively pursuing to find another lady to add to their family. Then to make matters worse they indeed do sometimes add or stumble upon another lady and she comes into the family and then the ladies are still without a godly head and are still untaught, unguided, and its every person for themselves in a household of anarchy. Or at other times the man is so passive and so weak he does not lead and one of the women begins to govern the home and she becomes the unofficial head with the man being only a figurehead.

The Bible emphasizes the role of godly leadership and polygyny is only one small element of the whole. Be careful for those who make that the emphasis and get the doctrine backwards.

Re: Thought for the Day: Polygyny Does not Make One a Patria

Some erroneously believe the thrust of the Bible is on polygyny. That is terribly wrong headed. The thrust of the Bible iin regard to the family is on patriarchal or headship leadership as the man leads like Christ leads his people Quality and strength are the issues not the numbers per se. A godly home and mature home that has Christ-like qualities in it can be done with or without polygyny. In fact Polygyny is only one small element or extension of the doctrine and not even the main point at that.
Absolutely!!! Right on target!!!! AMEN!!!!

Dr. K.R. Allen said:
Be on the look out for a backwards idea that has flooded the polygyny circles. Some erroneously believe the thrust of the Bible is on polygyny. That is terribly wrong headed. The thrust of the Bible in regard to the family is on patriarchal or headship leadership as the man leads like Christ leads his people. Quality and strength are the issues not the numbers per se. A godly home and mature home that has Christ-like qualities in it can be done with or without polygyny. In fact Polygyny is only one small element or extension of the doctrine and not even the main point at that.

Just because someone embraces polygyny does not mean the person is a truly a mature or wise or capable leader. A godly leader has the maturity to guide, lead, govern, and rule over his household. Some people in male bodies discover polygyny but are still not yet wise or capable men. I know some men who want another lady and they still have not yet taken the reigns of leadership over the heart of their first lady. Yet even so they are aggressively pursuing to find another lady to add to their family. Then to make matters worse they indeed do sometimes add or stumble upon another lady and she comes into the family and then the ladies are still without a godly head and are still untaught, unguided, and its every person for themselves in a household of anarchy. Or at other times the man is so passive and so weak he does not lead and one of the women begins to govern the home and she becomes the unofficial head with the man being only a figurehead.

The Bible emphasizes the role of godly leadership and polygyny is only one small element of the whole. Be careful for those who make that the emphasis and get the doctrine backwards.

Dr. Keith.....you totally nailed it with this one! :D

This very simple quote was brought to my mind in reading your post and you are absolutely correct in your statement.....1 Corinthians 13:11 "When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things." In so many matters in today's world, we all, (both men and women in many instances), seem to think the ability to do something like marry, or have children, or start a home means that we were truly prepared for the task. To lead is a duty and a privilege to be taken seriously and with honor, it is something one needs to ready for. Just because one can do something doesn't mean one should do something. To me it is like putting the cart before the horse. Being a leader means being responsible for the welfare of others, that is a very important task in God's eyes and should never be rushed into. Thank you for this message!!! Amen

Jen M

Back