• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Thoughts on synthetic fertilizers?

Are you familiar with Ruth Stout's method of gardening? It is very similar. She is long dead, but you would probably really like her. She was a character.
I've seen this before. It reminded me then and reminds me still of my mother's mother. She was raised a city girl in Cleveland and then moved out to very remote Montana as a young teenager with her new stepfather. She left a few years later in the face of stepdad sexually abusing her and her sisters -- and on the cusp of becoming schizophrenic and bipolar. Moving to Madison WI, she put herself through 12 master's degrees and 7 bachelor's degrees in the early 1900s by engaging in prostitution. Remaining in that 'career' without ever making professional use of her extensive education, at age 35 she married one of her monthly customers, a 65-year-old farmer, with whom she later had two more children. Never having lived on a farm, my grandmother and my mother moved in with Drew, so he taught her some farming techniques, but she took to it and was soon prolific, like Ruth Stout producing enough of a variety of vegetables to provide her family with delicious meals year-round. She worked longer hours than Mrs. Stout (including milking 40 cows daily, keeping up the expansive house and cooking three elaborate meals each day), and one could never tell that she had previously been a streetwalking city girl.

Most of what I do growing-stuff-wise I learned from her and my stepgrandfather.

I've seen this before. It reminded me then and reminds me still of my mother's mother. She was raised a city girl in Cleveland and then moved out to very remote Montana as a young teenager with her new stepfather. She left a few years later in the face of stepdad sexually abusing her and her sisters -- and on the cusp of becoming schizophrenic and bipolar. Moving to Madison WI, she put herself through 12 master's degrees and 7 bachelor's degrees in the early 1900s by engaging in prostitution. Remaining in that 'career' without ever making professional use of her extensive education, at age 35 she married one of her monthly customers, a 65-year-old farmer, with whom she later had two more children. Never having lived on a farm, my grandmother and my mother moved in with Drew, so he taught her some farming techniques, but she took to it and was soon prolific, like Ruth Stout producing enough of a variety of vegetables to provide her family with delicious meals year-round. She worked longer hours than Mrs. Stout (including milking 40 cows daily, keeping up the expansive house and cooking three elaborate meals each day), and one could never tell that she had previously been a streetwalking city girl.

What a fascinating life!

Somehow that story is less surprising coming from you than it would be coming from most others. ☺️

Somehow that story is less surprising coming from you than it would be coming from most others. ☺️
Or perhaps there's a bit of making who I am less surprising once one hears about my history . . .

My thoughts tonight?

Just spray some of that synthetic junk on your 30+ yr old prospective next wife....or add some to her bottle of body wash on the sly.
Maybe instead of opting for cats in her golden years she'll get crazy....decide she would love to be a domestic goddess in your home as a second or maybe fifteenth wife and instead of difficulty conceiving, she'll pop out a few sets of twins before settling into granny gear.

One can imagine most anything.
Synthetic fertilizer that self identifies as an aphrodisiac crossed with Clomid?

Yeah! Why not?? :cool:

My thoughts tonight?

Just spray some of that synthetic junk on your 30+ yr old prospective next wife....or add some to her bottle of body wash on the sly.
Maybe instead of opting for cats in her golden years she'll get crazy....decide she would love to be a domestic goddess in your home as a second or maybe fifteenth wife and instead of difficulty conceiving, she'll pop out a few sets of twins before settling into granny gear.

One can imagine most anything.
Synthetic fertilizer that self identifies as an aphrodisiac crossed with Clomid?

Yeah! Why not?? :cool:
I'll take that as ab indication that you aren't a huge fan of synthetic fertilizer 👍

I'll take that as ab indication that you aren't a huge fan of synthetic fertilizer 👍
Never used it. We like using grass or hay ala post sheep...or cow....or mule. Ideally we will soon have a supply of the previously mentioned substance put through a vermiculture system.
At the moment we have some high nitrogen liquid coming out of a bio gas digester.

We also have mountains of mulch and soil that was already rich and dark.

No need for chemicals here.

Armchair farmer here so I have more answers than questions like the typical plebe: if we pay attention to the diet of the fertilizer PRODUCER rather than the fertilizer, wouldnt we be smarter? Case in point regarding eating animals- in my repeated repeated reading of the scriptures it seams we ought NOT to eat any critter that is generally carnivore and by rearward extension any of its by-product. I.E. pig, dog, vulture, shark, etc poop.
I don't see why you wouldn't want to use the manure from a carnivore as fertiliser.

If you're NOT going to use it as fertiliser, then what do you do with it? Make sure you don't put dog poop in the compost and carefully wrap it in plastic and landfill it instead?

And how could you avoid it? How could you possibly stop hawks and owls from pooping in your fields? Or spiders?

Why even try to avoid carnivore poop? What is the problem you are trying to solve?

I remember reading a while back about food that had been fertilized with human waste. The folks that ate the produce got sick. Don't know much more than that.

I remember reading a while back about food that had been fertilized with human waste. The folks that ate the produce got sick. Don't know much more than that.
That accusation has been made, but it’s a bit more likely that it was field workers that didn’t sanitize their hands after using the portables.
In my opinion.

That accusation has been made, but it’s a bit more likely that it was field workers that didn’t sanitize their hands after using the portables.
In my opinion.
Steve's opinion is part of the reason why this myth gets perpetuated. The bigger part of the picture is that human waste takes longer to 'season' than does that of many other animals, but it's excellent when properly dealt with.

The third house I bought in my life was a wonderful two-story, three-bedroom loft cabin in Nacogdoches with mostly stained-glass windows and an all-tile kitchen situated on 2 acres with a small barn that had formerly been the studio for the artist I purchased it all from who had moved to Austin to be a museum curator. Why am I telling y'all all this? Well, I just like telling stories, but there is a point to it. The house had running water and a fine clawfoot tub, but it also had no indoor toilet. Instead, just northwest of the western side door (there's a reason for this) was a large two-seater outhouse, with a raised walkway back to the house (my eventual plan was to enclose the walkway, because, even in Nacogdoches, some winter days and nights can be brutal when one is awoken in the middle of the night by a strong urge to recycle one's diet caffeine-free chocolate soda). Anyway, the seats were both located over a massive round drum closed on all sides that was divided into four quadrants, each of which had a large door that could be opened to the outside. Every 3 months, the ritual was to dump a quart of lime down one of the open holes inside, then go outside to the back to turn a large crank 90 degrees clockwise. Next, one went to the north side, opened the wooden door on the side of the outhouse, where one opened the locked metal door on the side of the drum. Once opened, it was time to shovel the contents out, all of which effectively had been seasoned for 6-9 months. The property itself was part of a former free-range chicken farm and had two active gardens on it, the first of which I had an agreement with the guy who sold me the place to leave to its own devices and which was located where chickens had previously deposited their gifts other than eggs. Everything planted or volunteered there grew so fast I couldn't keep up with it. Okra was especially problematic, because within a couple weeks of breaking the ground the plants got too tall for me to harvest from and would produce okra shoots in excess of four feet long, probably each one enough to produce not only enough daily gumbo for a New Orleans restaurant but sufficient strands to braid indestructible rope. None of this mattered, because the primary purpose of the ex-owner's garden was to hide the large crop of marijuana plants both the garden and the scattered overhead pine canopy hid from anyone's spying eyes.

But again I have veered from the point.

The human manure was used in the other garden I planted on the site of a defunct utility building where the chickens had never scratched. Nothing there grew quite like the pot patch, but it was still one of the easiest gardens I've ever had. The soil was just rich, and digging in the dirt felt something like getting back to myself -- or maybe an experience reminiscent of childhood times playing with mud pies.

And no one ever complained about the food I served them or mentioned any unpleasant after-effects.

They make little black speck poops.
Yes, but when you find those don't automatically assume that it's spider caca, because something similar is the same residue from bedbugs . . .

But when bedbugs don’t live in my windows outside exactly where the spiders have taken over like the FREAKIN LAIR OF SHELOB! Sorry. I don’t like living on a lake… the spiders are unrelenting and don’t balance out the beautiful sunsets…

Ok maybe they do…

But when bedbugs don’t live in my windows outside exactly where the spiders have taken over like the FREAKIN LAIR OF SHELOB! Sorry. I don’t like living on a lake… the spiders are unrelenting and don’t balance out the beautiful sunsets…

Ok maybe they do…
You need a pet gecko.

That's probably a NZ thing IDK.

You need a pet chameleon.

Or white tails lol. That's also probably a NZ thing....

I'm going to have to explain all this aren't I?

That may have dealt with treated municipal sewage waste, which is sometimes applied to farmland.

I know a wheat farmer in my area that has applied this composted sewage from the city of Seattle. I believe Seattle paid him to use it (plus it is a good source of natural nutrients).

I think the odds of human pathogens surviving the whole process and making someone sick from this material is very low.

The trouble is that municipal sewage can also have a lot of other nasty stuff in it. Look at some of the people in Seattle. 🤯 A lot of pharmaceuticals make their way into the sewage Industrial wastes including heavy metals might also enter the waste stream.

All in all, I wouldn't want municipal sewage. The waste from my own household, I would be willing to use, under certain conditions.

Back