• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Till Death

sweetlissa

Real Person
Female
Each of you needs to have a will. You should also have living wills and powers of attorney for medical purposes so that each wife has the same rights to go to him in the hospital if he were incapacitated. There needs to be life insurance policies for each wife so that each is provided for in the event of hubby's untimely death. You can get more complicated if you want to and you can do a family trust and that sort of thing. I think, unless we are very wealthy or very complicated, that simple is best.

In TX for example, we found out that we cannot have three names on a piece of property that we purchase together. So if the time ever comes for us to buy a house here for all of us, we will have to incorporate into a family trust.

SweetLissa

I would also point out that if you have life insurance benefits, you can have multiple beneficiaries. If a husband has more than one wife, it would be wise to make sure that both are taken care of there.

In regards to property, it can vary from state to state, but in most areas any number of people can join together on a common contract. In that way, should anything happen to any of the adult partners, the claims can revert to the remaining, or to their assigned heir.

Any lawyers out there that believe in plural marriage? We could sure use you at the next retreat! :lol:

The one issue that I have yet to figure out is regarding social security. Current social security will recognize previous marriage partners from divorce, and current partners upon death. However, if you had multiple wives at the time of death, social security would only authorize payments to the one designated as the primary partner. I would think that in this case, an additional life policy would be appropriate.

Each family situation will be different, however, whether you are in a plural marriage or not, it is not just a good idea, but really a responsibility to make sure that you have a will, and that your funeral expenses are covered through policies, and that your family is provided for on your death. You need to be a good steward of what the Father has trusted you with....that doesnt end at your death!

If you haven't done this, don't wait.

Back