• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Titus?

marleneang4

I was reading my Bible and maybe i am misunderstanding this or maybe not. If you have more insight on this please feel free to let me know. :geek: Titus 1:5-1:9 The reason I left you in in Crete was that you might straighten out what was left unfinished and appoint elders in every town, as I directed you. An elder must be blameless, the husband of but one wife, a man whose children believe and are not open to the change of being wild and disobedient.Since an overseer is entrusted with God's work , he mus be blameless- not overbearing, not quick-tempered, not given to drunkenness, not violent, not pursuing dishones gain. Rather good who is self-controlled, upright, holy and disiplined He must hold firmly to the trust worthy message as it has been taught, so that he can encourage others b sound doctrine and refute those who oppose it. God Bless!

go to this blog and read their stories. both the husband and wifes. you might find your answer there. They mention that verse. They were in the same place as your are not long ago.

http://www.3rsfor1.blogspot.com/

marleneang4 said:
An elder must be blameless, the husband of but one wife

That particular translation is even a bit more blatant than most, by adding in the editorial "but"... ;)

Much has been written about this one, but the short answer is this:

The Greek word "mia" used in this phrase is an article which can mean either "a", "first", or "one". There is no way to tell which one a given author intended, other than by context. ("mia" day, for example, is elsewhere translated as "first day", as opposed to "one day".)

This passage might have been translated as "first wife husband", or "husband of his first wife", or even "husband of A wife", with equal integrity to the language.

I often cite thess passages (including Timothy) as an example of a potential "cultural bias" translation. It is easy to note, however, that this verse is far less problematic in modern Amerika than a less politically-correct interpretation which implied that an elder cannot be divorced, or must still be married to the "wife of his youth".

Blessings,

Mark

Thank you! The blog you gave me was wonderful. What an amazing story! I am greatful to learn from all of you. Since you all seem to be well versed with the Bible I'd like to ask another question. What do you think of mono. marriages? Are all people called eventually to polygamy? God Bless,Angie

What do you think of mono. marriages? Are all people called eventually to polygamy?

Not at all, Angie. As both our Savior and Paul made clear, not all men are called to marry at all.

But what is important to remember is that "monogamy" and "poly..." are completely Greek-based concepts. There simply is no such concept in the original Biblical Hebrew -- only marriage.

Blessings,
Mark

Thank you for the insight. I have another question. Why are there not more positive polygamist speaking out in the public, since the terrible situation in Colorodo City? That puts such a negative aspect on polygamy. Many people only believe that is what polygamy is(sad to say). God Bless, Angie

Why are there not more positive polygamist speaking out in the public...?

I can give you several answers to that one, Angie...perhaps others here can add others as well.

Fear is probably number one -- even though the most-repeated commandment in all of Scripture is "Fear NOT!" This is, I contend, by design. The 'adversary' HATES those things that are of God, and patriarchy is no doubt close to the top of that list. It's amazing what the kidnapping of a bunch of innocent children will do to spread fear of those who "come but to" steal, destroy, and kill. (I know the effect that mass kidnapping had on the mindset of my own wife. Even though that does not tell the whole story - which is elsewhere on this site, under prayer requests - such psych attacks are intended to be cumulative.)

Number two, very much related, has to do with the "mass media" itself. Since it obviously serves that same 'master', and hates the same things, it is not surprising what gets TV coverage, and what does NOT*. Look no further than to realize that "marriage" which God calls "abomination" is now PC, but patriarchal, Biblical marriage is demonized.

Number three is, all too often, the 'Church' itself. Ultimately, I'd again argue that the State-approved, Romans 13-twisting, "faith-based" leach serves the same master in far too many cases. Willingness to reject Scripture in favor of the "traditions of men" sounds far more like "friendship with the world" than a willingness to speak the Truth "boldly"...but perhaps I repeat the same argument about "which master we serve" yet again.

I guess ultimately it all boils down to a single answer, Angie.

Blessings in Him,

Mark

----------------------------
* There is a note on this site about a potential counter-example. Perhaps that will turn out to be a blessing.

Back