• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Torah keepers and sacred name.

^_^

Since I didn't know where else to put this, I'll put it here. It's sort of an introductory thing I guess

I've come a long way, baby. Out of christianity, out of should be monogamy, out of lots of repressive ways of thinking.
So, to make a long story short, I attempt to keep the 7th day sabbath, the bibilical feasts as best I know, avoiding to the best of my knowledge the unclean critters scripture says not to eat and that sort of thing.
Yes, I know it's not my righteousness that saves me, but I figure if the God of heaven and earth bothered to come down to give instructions to us, we might as well listen, after all, he's smarter.
I see nothing in the so called new testament that contradicts or overturns any of this stuff unless it's been twisted and tampered with.
I also tend not to use the term 'the Lord' as I have discovered that he revealed his name to the patriarchs many years ago. I figure if it was good enough for them, it's good enough for me. No problems though, I don't bash other people's heads if they do.
So, Halleluyah, I'm glad to see people living patriarchal lifestyles.
Looks to me to be the best for eveyone involved.

Welcome to our forum and thanks for writing. We are all believers but we all have various beliefs in General. Hope you enjoy the people and the topics on the discussion board.

Lissa

Our family has learned a lot during the past 18 months or so about the Sabbath, feasts, the place of the law in the believer's life, and more. We've been so blessed as we walk in what God is showing us and have had many questions answered as God helps us to understand more.

We have known several people in this group for several years (in person) and met several more at the retreat in Charlotte last fall. It is a great group of people to hang out with.

Joe

Haag S'meah to all, have a blessed Pesach.

"God will provide Himself a Lamb..." Gen. 22:8

May the true Lamb of God bless your understanding, all of your house, and guide you in His way.

^_^ said:
Since I didn't know where else to put this, I'll put it here. It's sort of an introductory thing I guess

I've come a long way, baby. Out of christianity, out of should be monogamy, out of lots of repressive ways of thinking.
So, to make a long story short, I attempt to keep the 7th day sabbath, the bibilical feasts as best I know, avoiding to the best of my knowledge the unclean critters scripture says not to eat and that sort of thing.
Yes, I know it's not my righteousness that saves me, but I figure if the God of heaven and earth bothered to come down to give instructions to us, we might as well listen, after all, he's smarter.
I see nothing in the so called new testament that contradicts or overturns any of this stuff unless it's been twisted and tampered with.
I also tend not to use the term 'the Lord' as I have discovered that he revealed his name to the patriarchs many years ago. I figure if it was good enough for them, it's good enough for me. No problems though, I don't bash other people's heads if they do.

^_^,
Wow, that's weird calling someone by a symbol. Is there a name that we can call you or refer to you as?

Shalom! I myself am much in the same situation as you. In January I got into some intense Scriptural study and now my beliefs fall more in line with the Messianics although I'll never again associate myself with a denomination. I as well keep the 7th day sabbath(which is different from the 12 - 12 day) and abstain from eating unclean foods. I think that was the hardest of all. There ain't no one on earth that liked salt-cured country ham fried up with extra salt as much as I did. (yes, I'm working on my 3rd heart attack, jk) Lobster and crab legs were good too. And when it came to Cordon Bleau, you'd better hope you were in line before me. All of that changed for me though. I'd like to get into the scriptural feasts/sabbaths, but I'm not really sure where to start. I reckon it'll come to me though.

It's nice to have you on-"board" though. I look forward to your posts. Take care.

Shalom Todd, welcome to the forum
I find much information about feast keeping at karaites-korner.org. They aren't messianic in the sense that they don't believe Yahushua to be messiah, or they consider him a failed messiah, but they do well at the feasts and and much studies.
Shavuot (Pentecost) is coming up on the 15th of June on the roman calendar, you might wish to know that. It's a feast day celebrating both the giving of Torah and the pouring out of the holy spirit on the apostles. Funny, eh, it was promised that the law would be written on the heart, and it was on the anniversary of the day it was given on stone..... we do serve a God with a sense of humor. That, and he's trying to tell us something.
I also study with some people on chat at eliyah.com, not that I endorse all doctrine that is taught there, but some really nice people go there.
BTW, most folks call me face, I'm a face without a name.

^_^ said:

Hi Face

1. What do you mean that you have come out of "Christianity"?
2. What do you mean that you have come out of "repressive ways of thinking"?
3. Do you know that even Jesus referred to the Father in the generic "theos"?

Joe said:
Our family has learned a lot during the past 18 months or so about the Sabbath, feasts, the place of the law in the believer's life, and more. We've been so blessed as we walk in what God is showing us and have had many questions answered as God helps us to understand more.

We have known several people in this group for several years (in person) and met several more at the retreat in Charlotte last fall. It is a great group of people to hang out with.

Joe

Hello Joe,

1. So, why do you believe that the feasts are still to be followed?
2. Do you have any passages that show that the Sabbath was for worship?

Pastor Randy, you say Jesus used Theos for the father's name.
Now, I guess you assume he spoke Greek? Most Jews, especially the tzadok (observant or righteous ones) did not speak Greek. Even Josephus the historian admitted that he tried hard to learn it, but was difficult to speak it correctly, as the custom was to speak their own language. That language would have been Hebrew or an Aramaic version of it. It certainly didn't contain a word 'theos'. Nor was any messiah named Jesus as the J wasn't invented until about 150 years ago or so. Heck, look at how you pronounce Halleluiah, that's clue enough to know that i sound in the greek iesous wasn't a J sound. Now another thing, Hebrew names didn't typically end with an s or and s sound, so why does the Joshua used in Heb 4:8. Funny that the Greek text there is the same name usually rendered Jesus, and some versions of KJV actually have Jesus in the text there, but it's quite obvious who they were speaking of. So, go look up how to pronounce Joshua's name phonetically corrected without the J sound, and you'll have a pretty good idea how the angel who announced the conception to Mary sounded. Except her name wasn't Mary, it was Miryam..... the fun goes on....

Anyway, this Yahushua the messiah, while on earth made it pretty clear in quite a few places that not a bit of Torah would pass away, in fact, the command to love Elohim with our whole heart, and our neighbor as our self is what all of Torah and the prophets hangs on. You learn Torah, it teaches how to love Elohim and your neighbor. Good thing too, because we tend pretty quickly to serve ourselves, and we have been given instructions on how to better treat both ourselves and our neighbor. In fact, it is impossible to love your neighbor as yourself until you first love yourself. Furthermore, it's impossible to love Yahweh while hating your neighbor or yourself. All that's in Torah, and as the Psalmist said, it's beautiful. Unless it's twisted by wicked men to serve themselves, but evil men can turn anything beautiful into ugliness.

^_^ said:
BTW, most folks call me face, I'm a face without a name.

"Face"? I feel like asking for an "A-Team" autograph. Anyone get that?

Our family has kept the biblical feasts for about 10 years now. We are not strict about it and do not follow the letter of the law, we do it the best we can and as close to godly principles as we can. A good website that has helpful information is http://www.MessianicLinks.com.
Rooty

DaPastor said:
1. So, why do you believe that the feasts are still to be followed?

Growing up I was always taught that we should be more like Jesus. From what I remember the Messiah at least kept the Passover which stands to reason that He also kept the other feasts as well. After all, WWJD?

DaPastor said:
2. Do you have any passages that show that the Sabbath was for worship?

Aaahh, Definately a good point for both the seventh day observers and the sunday observers. The sabbath was never meant as a day of worship, but rather as a day of rest and from the Messiah's example, another day of teaching and education. So what day should we worship our heavenly father? All seven.

^_^ said:
That language would have been Hebrew or an Aramaic version of it. It certainly didn't contain a word 'theos'. Nor was any messiah named Jesus as the J wasn't invented until about 150 years ago or so.

Randy,
This reminded me of the brief conversation we had at the retreat about the theory that the Messianic scriptures were originally written in Aramaic. I just wanted to post that Wikipedia link I mentioned.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aramaic_primacy

We've learned a lot on our journey of learning of the Jewish roots of Chrisitanity (there is so much Greek and Roman influence in the "church" which most of us here in this group know due to our research into godly polygny and church history regarding the monogamy only doctrines)...... but, I would say the MOST IMPORTANT thing we have learned is that never should any knowledge take priority over relationship - most specifically our relationship we have with God through our Lord and Savior - His Son (no matter what "name" one knows Him by -- there is a lot of controversy out there regarding this - but like Paul states in Rom 14 it is before his own master a man will stand or fall). It is when we let knowledge - and our "keeping" of what we learn to the point of strict adherence ("letter of the law") that our relationship begins to suffer. God's Torah (actually meaning "instruction" rather than "law" - at least our use of the word "law") has not changed -- but, when we become legalistic about it we have lost sight of the purpose that God gave it to us. It was given as a "schoolteacher" - to show us things like of God's holy and righteous character - to show us our fallen state in and of ourselves -- to point us to Christ because we need a Saviour. In no way does this ever make God's law not important -- but, Paul did clearly say that those who choose to be justified by the law will be judged by the law. Our Messiah also clearly stated that ALL the law and the prophets were hung on the greatest law - of Love (Loving God first and then all others second), and Hebrews tells us that God's Law is now written on our hearts (by means of His Holy Spirit). Also important to remember is that to do anything out of the "flesh" (our own carnal nature) is "death" - but that the Spirit gives "life". If we are keeping his Torah, including the feasts, as a means of gaining God's approval or for other such reward - this will lead only to "death" --- but, if we follow His teachings as He leads - and do so out of a love for Him an what He has already given us in the Messiah - then it will lead to "life".

I know this is all very condensed - each point mentioned above contains much more to it than time allows to express. But, I hope as we all seek to walk in all of God's ways - that we keep our relationship (personal time spent with Him - in prayer, praise, worship, bible study, etc) at the center of all we do! (I share this because we have at times fallen into the trap of putting knowledge above relationship in the past - and so have learned this by experience)

Don & Shari
(Although I am the one submitting this - Don & I discussed and wrote this together)

Hi everyone,

I want to say that I appreciate the post from Don and Shari(given Mercy). Actually right now where i am with this, since I am a pretrerist (woops, should I not have said that??) Is that the whole entire Bible points to Jesus Christ as the savior. The Sabbath, feasts, sacrificial laws etc. all point to him and therefore since the whole bible is fulfilled then there need not be feasts or days celebrated above others. I do not believe in communion either. This does not mean that the keeping of the sabbath does not bring blessings. All the laws were wise and had a purpose but the truth of the Holy Ghost within us is what hte law was all about. David was saved not only because he delighted in the lord and kept the sabbath but because he was awaiting and believed God about the saviour to come. Anyway, I don't have all the answers. If you want to ask me about birth, babies, breastfeeding or maternity I can be definitive but as far as this goes I am learning like everyone else. I am posting this as a kind of request for opinions or other perspectives on mine. Thanks

Mari,

Would you consider yourself a full or partial preterist? Or, would you consider yourself a duplicative preterist, that is, you see end time events fulfilled in the past, but also another fulfillment in the future?

I see truth in preterism, so I was just curious....

Mari, you are like a parfait. You have so many layers. Plus, I like parfaits. :D

Doc

I understand, I think, what you are saying, GivenMercy, and actually I suspect I'm quite close to that same 'take' myself.

No, I don't see 'the law', Torah, as a hard legalistic thing, it's more of an 'if, then' sort of thing. A very flexible, powerful set of guidelines to help us through this life. Actually, I believe most of what lots of people who hate oral torah (they almost spit the word talmud out in disgust) call written Torah is actually oral torah written down. It shows practical applications to the written Torah, both the rewards for keeping, and the negative effects of abandoning this set of principles. But if you read the writing, you can see that most of what is written was given orally.
OK, 'nuff of this hornet's nest :cool:

OK Doc,
You got me on this one. Never heard of the word "preterist". Can you or someone else give me a little background or definition of what this is all about.

GivenMercy...I agree with your statement, "..........(there is so much Greek and Roman influence in the "church" which most of us here in this group know due to our research into godly polygny and church history regarding the monogamy only doctrines).........". As you have stated, through my and the wife's study of Yahweh's word and through what our Pastor is trying to teach at our home church........we have learned that through the Greek and Roman influence and ( no offense here )the policies of the Catholic church.....things went from how the Lord had instructed the nation of Israel to do thing and in turn us Christians....to what MAN decided God really meant and wanted us as believers to do, say and act.

eeeyyaa, what's up, Doc? ;)

I am a full preterist. I don't see a second end time. I do believe that there is some weird one world governemt stuff going on and I believe that history repeats itself and goes in cycles, you know? I don't know, actually I'm just a girl and my children sucked the brain power out of me years ago via their placentas so I think now I am just a soggy eclair as opposed to a parfait (whatever that is!)

Face you are very smart and have lots of good info, keep it up! I Pity The Fool... :cool:

Back