• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Treasure Found

Federic

I have always been intrigued by Isaiah 45:3 "I will give you treasures hidden in the darkness..." and frequently prayed about it. Then one day I made friends with an old Mennonite. The way I met him would be too long to explain, but it was mysterious, even miraculous, from the start. After a few days of Bible lessons he introduced me to polygyny. In it I found a part of Christian life's puzzle solved: a hidden treasure was uncovered for me!
I love my wife and family. I would never want to loose them or hurt them. I am by nature a family man. There was a time when my wife's best friend was left by her husband: I remember I loved her and her children, and we all wished we could live together. My wife and I, and her, and all the children struggled with some very deep feelings as they parted and went away to live with her parents in Europe. It was very sad and confusing. I longed to keep them all under my roof; my wife felt the same way. Not that I have any prospects for another wife now, but this is beautiful: We dont have to feel weird about wishing for another wife. The truth has set me free after so many years...!
Now I find Biblical Families...wow! so nice to share with you. Thank-you.
Federic

Thank you for sharing this. As we come from such diverse backgrounds, it is nice to hear how we all came along this path of understanding. One thing I have found far too uncommon is a man whose primary desire was to provide for and care for a woman, and whether correctly or incorrectly understanding the issue of plural marriage, would do what they believed was right.

This also brings me again to the issue of how to approach this topic with others. We do not wish to cause anyone to stumble, yet those who already have more than one wife as we have in this group are wrongfully cast out in most churches, denied fellowship, and so the body of Christ is divided further and further which should never be at all! How great is the grace of God shown in our lives, that though we may also have wrongfully harmed others and refused to fellowship with them, that if we repent (change our mind) and reconcile with those we have sinned against, we can be reconciled to one another as we reconcile with the Lord.

Glad to have you here, Federic. I hope you will find lots of information and encouragement as you begin your journey.

It's great to have you here.

I am sorry to hear that you were unaware polygyny was an option when it could have been a great way for you to support a friend, but not surprised, even though I have seen it as scripturally acceptable for many years it is only relatively recently that I too realised it was actually an option in our society. I suspect there are many, many people in similar situations every year around the world who fail to see this solution because they have been only ever taught that it is evil. Hopefully over time we can raise awareness at least in the Christian community so that more people will be able to see this way of supporting the "widows and fatherless" in our midst.

Welcome! I enjoyed reading your story and hope to get to know you more through the boards.

Back