• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Two Kinds of Leading in Psalm 23

ABlessedMan

Staff member
Real Person
Male
So, here is an interesting note about Psalm 23 that drew me deeper into worship with God and challenged me to think about what it means to lead as a shepherd. I hope it might be helpful to you.

From vs. 1 the Psalm speaks simultaneously of the Divine and Majestic (by invoking the divine name) as well as the homely and mundane (by comparing him with a shepherd). Then, the Psalm blends Kingship metaphor from Psalms 18,21, and 22 with the daily life of the shepherd which then is perfectly embodied in the person of the Messiah.

The thing that drove this home to me was the two DIFFERENT verbs that are translated as “lead” in English. The first verb, “he leads me beside quiet waters” ( עַל־מֵ֖י מְנֻח֣וֹת יְנַהֲלֵֽנִי׃ )(23:2b) is nahal. The verb is almost universally used in Tanakh to describe leading little ones and the elderly together. (Complete list: Gen. 33:14; 47:17; Exod. 15:13; 2 Chr. 28:15; 32:22; Ps. 23:2; 31:4; Isa. 40:11; 49:10; 51:18). It normally shows tender leading. Consider Gen 33:14 when Jacob is speaking to Esau:

“So let my lord go on ahead of his servant, while I move along slowly at the pace of the flocks and herds before me and the pace of the children, until I come to my lord in Seir." (Sorry this use is Hithpa’el, but it still conforms to overall usage).

Another beautiful use of the verb is in Isa 40:11:

“He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young. “

So, the first use of the “lead” verb means . . .tenderly leading. The second verb for “lead” (nḥh) is translated as “guide” in NIV. “He guides me along the right paths for his name's sake.” יַֽנְחֵ֥נִי בְמַעְגְּלֵי־צֶ֗֜דֶק (לְמַ֣עַן שְׁמֽוֹ׃ ) (23:3b) The subject of this verb, 27 out of 39 times in Tanakh is the LORD. It is used of the LORD leading Abraham’s servant to find a wife for Isaac. It is used for the LORD leading Israel in the wilderness. It is used of the LORD’s direction of the path of the believer in Psalms. Of the remaining 12 appearances, it frequently is used to describe the actions of kings. (Here is the complete list: Gen. 24:27, 48; Exod. 13:17, 21; 15:13; 32:34; Num. 23:7; Deut. 32:12; 1 Sam. 22:4; 1 Ki. 10:26; 2 Ki. 18:11; Neh. 9:12, 19; Job 12:23; 31:18; 38:32; Ps. 5:9; 23:3; 27:11; 31:4; 43:3; 60:11; 61:3; 67:5; 73:24; 77:21; 78:14, 53, 72; 107:30; 108:11; 139:10, 24; 143:10; Prov. 6:22; 11:3; 18:16; Isa. 7:2; 57:18; 58:11)

Consider these usages in Job:

“He makes nations great, and he destroys them; he enlarges nations, and leads them away.” (Job 12:23 ESV)

“Can you lead forth the Pleiades in their season, or can you guide the Bear with its children?” (Job 38:32 ESV)

The picture is of the transcendent LORD, directing the nations and guiding the constellations. And yet, he is so concerned with us as little ones, frail and weak in the previous verse. In summary, the LORD tenderly leads us in our weakness and provides for our needs and even comfort. At the same time, he moves us as a king, even into our own peril and discomfort in pursuit of His righteousness and for His Name’s sake.

So, as I think about shepherding my family; I can’t guide the Pleiades. I don’t move nations, but should I not be willing to choose discomfort for us in following the LORD’s guidance? At the same time, if the LORD so condescends to lead me so gently in my weakness, should I not just as tenderly lead those entrusted to my care?

Sometimes it seems like the “leadership” I read about does one or the other of these things, but not both. If we really are following the good shepherd, shouldn’t our leadership echo the elements of His? To say it another way, Psalm 23 shows the ministerial authority of a shepherd and caretaker, while at the same time describing the majesterial authority of King and God. Shouldn’t our following/leadership mirror these same elements? In practice, what does that look like? What does that NOT look like?

So, here is an interesting note about Psalm 23 that drew me deeper into worship with God and challenged me to think about what it means to lead as a shepherd. I hope it might be helpful to you.

From vs. 1 the Psalm speaks simultaneously of the Divine and Majestic (by invoking the divine name) as well as the homely and mundane (by comparing him with a shepherd). Then, the Psalm blends Kingship metaphor from Psalms 18,21, and 22 with the daily life of the shepherd which then is perfectly embodied in the person of the Messiah.

The thing that drove this home to me was the two DIFFERENT verbs that are translated as “lead” in English. The first verb, “he leads me beside quiet waters” ( עַל־מֵ֖י מְנֻח֣וֹת יְנַהֲלֵֽנִי׃ )(23:2b) is nahal. The verb is almost universally used in Tanakh to describe leading little ones and the elderly together. (Complete list: Gen. 33:14; 47:17; Exod. 15:13; 2 Chr. 28:15; 32:22; Ps. 23:2; 31:4; Isa. 40:11; 49:10; 51:18). It normally shows tender leading. Consider Gen 33:14 when Jacob is speaking to Esau:

“So let my lord go on ahead of his servant, while I move along slowly at the pace of the flocks and herds before me and the pace of the children, until I come to my lord in Seir." (Sorry this use is Hithpa’el, but it still conforms to overall usage).

Another beautiful use of the verb is in Isa 40:11:

“He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young. “

So, the first use of the “lead” verb means . . .tenderly leading. The second verb for “lead” (nḥh) is translated as “guide” in NIV. “He guides me along the right paths for his name's sake.” יַֽנְחֵ֥נִי בְמַעְגְּלֵי־צֶ֗֜דֶק (לְמַ֣עַן שְׁמֽוֹ׃ ) (23:3b) The subject of this verb, 27 out of 39 times in Tanakh is the LORD. It is used of the LORD leading Abraham’s servant to find a wife for Isaac. It is used for the LORD leading Israel in the wilderness. It is used of the LORD’s direction of the path of the believer in Psalms. Of the remaining 12 appearances, it frequently is used to describe the actions of kings. (Here is the complete list: Gen. 24:27, 48; Exod. 13:17, 21; 15:13; 32:34; Num. 23:7; Deut. 32:12; 1 Sam. 22:4; 1 Ki. 10:26; 2 Ki. 18:11; Neh. 9:12, 19; Job 12:23; 31:18; 38:32; Ps. 5:9; 23:3; 27:11; 31:4; 43:3; 60:11; 61:3; 67:5; 73:24; 77:21; 78:14, 53, 72; 107:30; 108:11; 139:10, 24; 143:10; Prov. 6:22; 11:3; 18:16; Isa. 7:2; 57:18; 58:11)

Consider these usages in Job:

“He makes nations great, and he destroys them; he enlarges nations, and leads them away.” (Job 12:23 ESV)

“Can you lead forth the Pleiades in their season, or can you guide the Bear with its children?” (Job 38:32 ESV)

The picture is of the transcendent LORD, directing the nations and guiding the constellations. And yet, he is so concerned with us as little ones, frail and weak in the previous verse. In summary, the LORD tenderly leads us in our weakness and provides for our needs and even comfort. At the same time, he moves us as a king, even into our own peril and discomfort in pursuit of His righteousness and for His Name’s sake.

So, as I think about shepherding my family; I can’t guide the Pleiades. I don’t move nations, but should I not be willing to choose discomfort for us in following the LORD’s guidance? At the same time, if the LORD so condescends to lead me so gently in my weakness, should I not just as tenderly lead those entrusted to my care?

Sometimes it seems like the “leadership” I read about does one or the other of these things, but not both. If we really are following the good shepherd, shouldn’t our leadership echo the elements of His? To say it another way, Psalm 23 shows the ministerial authority of a shepherd and caretaker, while at the same time describing the majesterial authority of King and God. Shouldn’t our following/leadership mirror these same elements? In practice, what does that look like? What does that NOT look like?
That's a great insight, thanks. I've not studied this Psalm in detail so appreciate what you've posted. Shalom

Can't argue with one bit of this @ABlessedMan. I believe you've honed in on something essential about patriarchal leadership, because it's essential to lead one's family in both manners -- sometimes at the same times but other times strictly limited to one or the other approach -- in order to have blessed outcomes.

Thanks!

Back