• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Ungodly polygamists in the Bible

My understanding is the maidservants of Rachel and Leah were given to Jacob to give him sons FOR Rachel and Leah. Rachel started it because her womb was not open and she wanted to give Jacob sons. Thus the sons born to them would have the same status because they would be considered sons of his wives.
That's what I was thinking too

Was Esau ungodly? I see a lot of myself in his rash emoting and consistently melodramatic over-reacting but he didn’t seem like an incredibly immoral man. He certainly greeted Jacob well when he finally returned.
Since I see that nobody else has referenced this (other than a secondarily, such as the reference in Hebrews) - here goes:

Yes, Esau "despised his birthright," and traded it away for a 'cup of pottage.' (Much like AmierKans today...)

Malachai 1:2-3 (quoted by Paul in Romans 9 as well) says, "Yakov I have loved...Esau I have hated."

People can and will argue about nuance of the wording. But if there's a better illustration of "ungodly" in His Word, with the possible exception of folks like Jezebel, that, too, must be subjective.

Since I see that nobody else has referenced this (other than a secondarily, such as the reference in Hebrews) - here goes:

Yes, Esau "despised his birthright," and traded it away for a 'cup of pottage.' (Much like AmierKans today...)

Malachai 1:2-3 (quoted by Paul in Romans 9 as well) says, "Yakov I have loved...Esau I have hated."

People can and will argue about nuance of the wording. But if there's a better illustration of "ungodly" in His Word, with the possible exception of folks like Jezebel, that, too, must be subjective.
Again, is that a case of Esau being a stand in for Edom?

Back