• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Virgin in Hebrew

In our society we have rampant teenage promiscuity specifically because marriage is discouraged and delayed.
In addition, girls were much more protected in ancient Israeli culture. Schools were not co-Ed and the girls were not allowed to be unchaperoned. What happened with Dinah was an anomaly, and there was a terrible price paid, whether she was seduced or actually raped.
If a man did manage to seduce or rape a non-betrothed female, she was his wife if her father signed off on it. The perpetrator had to pay the bride price whether he got to keep her or not. If he couldn’t pay it he was sold as a servant to cover the debt. Pretty good incentive to keep things righteous.

And then there were the rules for betrothed girls. If she lay with another man whilst in the city it was assumed to be adultery (because her screams should have been heard) and they both were to be stoned. But if it happened out in the fields, where no one could hear her screaming, it was assumed rape and only the guy was stoned.
Just a tad bit different than how things are today.

Yup, just want to reverse-engineer the lost definitions, just for the sake of wanting to restore anything that was lost. I'm not hoping or expecting to learn anything super interesting as a result. Though that would be a nice bonus.
OK, to get back on track, that is why I addressed the differing assumptions based on looking at 2000 or 3000 years ago through a modern lens that has so many distorted filters inserted into the process in the interim (and I won't waste additional time refuting the assertion that it is only I who is looking at things through a modern morés prism). Can we all acknowledge that the translations have, in fact in many cases purposefully, introduced pollution into God's Word (while not as egregiously as the Vulgate or the Authorized Version, didn't even the Septuagint Project purposefully alter some passages of Scripture with the intent of currying favor with the Greeks into whose language they were bastardizing the Hebrew)? Studying the English word 'virgin' as it pertains to Scripture is just one of hundreds of examples ('rib' is another; and then if you're really ready to blow your mind, study the etymology of 'Hell' in regard to how that word and concept was introduced hundreds of years post-Christ and thus post-the-completion-of-Scripture).

To reverse-engineer (I love that phraseology) the word 'virgin,' or any other term, especially when one discovers that translators unnecessarily combined three words into one when English or any other language has the capability of representing the three original words, one can approach such an endeavor from many angles.

One is to just discover the three other words and go, "Huh! That's cool," and move on to one's midnight snack.

Another angle is to contemplate the superficial contexts of the passages and wonder what difference in our understanding of those passages might be inspired if we consider the specific meanings of the three words in those contexts -- and then leave it at that.

A further angle would be to take one's study to the point of not just wondering but contemplating and determining what the motivations likely were for introducing pollution into The Word on the part of the translators -- who, I might add, were in almost all cases part of highly-organized Church-sanctioned group efforts to produce what they considered to be a more acceptable version of Scripture.

If one took that angle to a more thorough approach, one would question not only the motivations but what was behind those motivations.

We could have massive fights here about whether or not 1st-Century B.C. Israelites were predominantly successful in preventing their youngsters from fooling around before reaching marrying age, but we'd likely get nowhere, given that everyone can haul out their favorite historical documents buttressing their own points of view -- just as last night's debate on FNC about how grade-school kids watching a cartoon in which a little cartoon boy talks about how his cartoon penis gets hard when he plays with it is going to lead to mass cultural degradation will never convince the vast majority of people who have any knowledge about what almost all 4-year-olds initiate and experience if they're not watched like hawks every waking moment -- so we should probably not waste any more time demonstrating that we have differing conclusions about what kinds of sex are bad or good. However, no matter how much you disagree with me (and no matter how convinced you are that you're not predominantly hypnotized by Catholicism because you're a Protestant) that the vast majority of how those in 2021 America view sexuality flows not from anything in Scripture but instead from the paganism and anti-sexuality introduced by Constantine in the 4th Century as part of his faux-conversion and takeover of the Roman Catholic Church, getting to the nub of whose agendas were furthered by scriptural pollution is of value to anyone seeking the actual truth about Scripture.

So I'm going to ask @Philip a question in a minute, to drill down on his original post, but I will assert that I do so because these are literally life-and-death concerns. We all say we are part of the Body of Christ. We all say we believe in the One True God. We all say we believe that Scripture is God's Word and that we believe it is all true. But even just a cursory read of any three random English Bible translations will demonstrate that 'truth' is fungible. Originally, only one thing was written down in the case of every word, verse, passage, chapter or book of Scripture. One thing. It's unlikely that what Moses transcribed from our Creator was considered open for interpretation as far as either he or YHWH were concerned. Therefore, it should be incumbent upon all of us to seek out the most accurate rendering of the entire Word of God. This should be especially true for those of us who support Biblical polygyny, because the truth about the legitimacy of polygyny has been purposefully obscured by the translators and the Big Church organizations that funded them. @andrew has pointed out on repeated occasions that discovering the truth about biblical polygamy is just one of a number of 'gateway drugs' into what should be a comprehensive inquiry into the extent to which we've all been lied to by churches, organized religions and the very people we've been led to believe we should most trust: pastors, priests and theologians. The Adversary uses these people to distract us from the actual messages our LORD intended for us to receive; he perhaps most perniciously uses the tactic of falsely elevating such matters as sex or dancing or food or drugs above the key messages of Scripture, creating the impression (start paying attention to sermon content) that, for example, if we just very strictly follow the guidelines we've received from church authorities about how to properly use our penises we will get a prime seat on the dais next to the Throne of Christ (and thus denigrating the intended primacy of Torah and the Gospels). However, what we are far more likely to accomplish is just validating the old saw about how the most accurate definition for 'promiscuity' is anyone who's getting more than I am. I swear that 'promiscuity' is one of the most ill-defined and abused words used to justify chest-beating about human sexuality related to Scripture -- although it doesn't hold a candle to the rampant misinterpretation of the term 'fornication,' which apparently was a word invented so that any individual human being can use it to condemn any sex of which s/he disapproves.

So back to the topic at hand . . . first off, Philip, I was at first wondering if you were some kind of wolf in sheep's clothing when you showed up here at Biblical Families, but at this point I'm very much looking forward to meeting you later this month at the conference. I always appreciate people who have a heart for digging beneath the surface.

Secondly, here's my question: after you discover the true meanings behind the words that translators saw fit to boil down into 'virgin,' what, if anything, will be your additional purpose to doing so beyond discovering true definitions? Where will your curiosity take you? What function does an accurate definition of 'virgin' serve for you in your life? That is, what difference might it make to you to discover that your understanding has been skewed up until now?

What's the point of such reverse engineering?

@andrew has pointed out on repeated occasions that discovering the truth about biblical polygamy is just one of a number of 'gateway drugs' into what should be a comprehensive inquiry into the extent to which we've all been lied to by churches, organized religions and the very people we've been led to believe we should most trust: pastors, priests and theologians.
That is very true. And that inquiry can end up taking you in many interesting directions - all of which are profitable to the extent that you are trying to seek the truth of the Word and are not going to jump to believing something for insufficient reasons.
- Evolution vs Creation
- The flat / globe earth.
- The identity of the Jews.
- The nature of God (the Trinity or alternative viewpoints).
- The present-day relevance of the Law of Moses.
And so forth. In some cases the correct conclusion is that the church had it right all along - but now your faith is strengthened, and you have the knowledge to actually defend that view when challenged. In other cases the correct conclusion may be different to what you were taught in your church - in which case you have also grown in your understanding of God.

Secondly, here's my question: after you discover the true meanings behind the words that translators saw fit to boil down into 'virgin,' what, if anything, will be your additional purpose to doing so beyond discovering true definitions? Where will your curiosity take you? What function does an accurate definition of 'virgin' serve for you in your life? That is, what difference might it make to you to discover that your understanding has been skewed up until now?

What's the point of such reverse engineering?
You are proposing that I am a normal human who studies to prove something, or master a topic, or present a thesis and see if it validates. But my approach is all about discovery. I'm an explorer. I'm not looking for anything except the unknown. If that unknown becomes knowable, will it have an effect on my theology and behavior? Maybe! But it is really hard to make that prediction while still completely in the dark!
The older I get the more I despise the approach of "I have an idea, let's see if scripture backs it up." I much prefer "oh wow, scripture seems to be saying this, that gives me an idea." I dig first, and theorize second.
Now, if no one else has done this comparative word study yet, I'll just do it myself as I was already planning to, in time. My best guess is that it will be a dead end. But I have to give it another try!

What function does an accurate definition of 'virgin' serve for you in your life?
Just in case it wasn't clear, I'm not trying to get a more accurate definition of virgin, but rather the 3 sub types of virgin, if indeed there are 3 sub types. It could just be that there are 3 words for the exact same thing and no sub-types.

There's a bit of red herring in your response, @Philip, because I don't remember asserting that one of the points of such an exploration would be to prove what one already believed. You and I certainly are two different representatives, though, of the elephant's blind men, because I rarely research just for the purpose of knowing something. I'm right there with you on not being prejudiced in advance about what I will find, but I don't go looking just to know; I have to have at least an intuition that the knowing will lead to some kind of transformation in being, for myself or others. That you would do that almost seems unreal for me, as if you need no reward for your efforts.

I await you responding in a way that enlightens me that you don't seek a payoff. (See, even my writing this is me making an effort to explore with you for the purpose of learning something I can use to help myself or others.)

For the explorer, the payoff is a possible discovery, kind of like panning for gold. Probably won't find anything. But there is a small chance! And not knowing what will be found, I find rather exciting. Might just be a personality difference between us, @Keith Martin

p.s. I did not mean to imply that you study for confirmation bias.

I think we're saying the same thing, for the most part; yes, a personality difference.

But you've identified a pay-off, anyway, because, for you, it's the possible discovery of something new. And if you can accomplish making that a pay-off without having to tell anyone else about it, then I highly applaud you for being that grounded in intrinsic motivation. If, on the other hand, your pay-off amounts to getting recognized for your discovery, Cortez, then be prepared for the fact that I'm going to come back with one of the same questions: Now what do we do with that information, because, personally, I consider trivia to be a waste of time. If we can't further our understanding of something else, the etymology of a word remains for me just a bottomless rabbit hole.

I, for one, am now curious about something that I hadn’t considered before.
Go Philip!

Sometimes 12.

I do need to stop derailing this thread, but if you could just point out to me where a greater sacrifice is asked for. Exodus 13 only says to sanctify (dedicate) the firstborn to Yah, for they belong to Him. Later He says to redeem them, but He doesn’t say how. Only for an ass does He require a lamb, and if you don’t want to redeem it you must break its neck. Everything else you actually sacrifice the firstborn. That wouldn’t apply to human firstborn, those would be dedicated to Yah.

Lev 12 is the applicable passage here @steve and yes the turtle doves or pigeons is the offering of a poor woman.

While I agree that it is possible, it seems like quite a stretch. With the fact that all the men in Jericho died, does it automatically follow that every man she had ever been with was dead?
Very good point. Especially considering the context - two travellers (spies) who go to her establishment to hide. It is almost certain that she would have been servicing travellers, not just locals. Or even more travellers than locals - think about it, is a man more likely to sleep with a prostitute in his home town, or while he's away on a business trip?

Very good point. Especially considering the context - two travellers (spies) who go to her establishment to hide. It is almost certain that she would have been servicing travellers, not just locals. Or even more travellers than locals - think about it, is a man more likely to sleep with a prostitute in his home town, or while he's away on a business trip?
But it wasn't just Jericho. There were to be no survivors in all the promised land. And most of the visitors to Jericho were from other towns in the land. So it is still quite likely that everyone she had ever been with, died. But yes it isn't definite, just likely.

But it wasn't just Jericho. There were to be no survivors in all the promised land. And most of the visitors to Jericho were from other towns in the land. So it is still quite likely that everyone she had ever been with, died. But yes it isn't definite, just likely.
There was the group that faked out the Israelites and pretended to have come from a great distance to make a peace treaty.

There were to be no survivors in all the promised land.
But there were survivors, because the Israelites didn't finish the job properly, leaving survivors who caused ongoing problems for them for the remainder of their history. Furthermore, Jericho was the first city they came to when entering Canaan, it can therefore have been expected to have been a major border town on a trade route, and her clients could well have included travellers from far beyond Canaan.

Far simpler to just say that God forgave her and wiped the past clean, freeing her up to marry.

If not, then there's no prospect for any prostitute to marry, unless their prospective husband systematically goes through their client records and carefully murders every one of her former clients, leaving no survivors...

If not, then there's no prospect for any prostitute to marry, unless their prospective husband systematically goes through their client records and carefully murders every one of her former clients, leaving no survivors...
Sounds like an interesting movie plot!
"Pretty woman, punisher edition."

Somehow, maybe it’s just me, but somehow getting her free of restrictions by signing up for multiple murders seems counterproductive.

It’s probably my legalism showing. :D

Back