• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Paulsen

Real Person
Male
My current understanding of the parable of the ten virgins from Matthew 25 is that the 10 virgins are all betrothed to the groom they await (who represents Jesus).

I am willing to have that understanding challenged but I would really like to hear from someone who understands the original language better than I.

For instance recently I was challenged by someone claiming that the virgins are actually bridesmaids. Can anyone with more linguistic background confirm or deny this for me?

Also I have never hear of bridesmaids in traditional Hebrew weddings. Was that even a thing during or before Jesus' time?

Also if someone can confirm that the language supports the interpretation of virgins as brides in waiting then does that have implications for the virgins in Song Of Solomon?

I am going to do my own research into the language, but can't escape that I am kind of a noob since I am just learning that Strongs was never intended as a dictionary.

My current understanding of the parable of the ten virgins from Matthew 25 is that the 10 virgins are all betrothed to the groom they await (who represents Jesus).

I am willing to have that understanding challenged but I would really like to hear from someone who understands the original language better than I.

For instance recently I was challenged by someone claiming that the virgins are actually bridesmaids. Can anyone with more linguistic background confirm or deny this for me?

Also I have never hear of bridesmaids in traditional Hebrew weddings. Was that even a thing during or before Jesus' time?

Also if someone can confirm that the language supports the interpretation of virgins as brides in waiting then does that have implications for the virgins in Song Of Solomon?

I am going to do my own research into the language, but can't escape that I am kind of a noob since I am just learning that Strongs was never intended as a dictionary.

The ten virgins are the lost ten tribes it’s prophetic that about half of them won’t be ready when Yeshua returns. So clearly they are brides not bridesmaids.

Do bridesmaids get locked in with the groom?

Matthew 25:10-11 (KJV) 10 And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut. 11 Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us.

The ten virgins are the lost ten tribes it’s prophetic that about half of them won’t be ready when Yeshua returns. So clearly they are brides not bridesmaids.

All 12 tribes are lost. (That's my view)

And the question I have is, if these are the bridesmaids, who is the bride? And who are the guests?

Last edited by a moderator:
If they decided jump sides and join the other bride(s), there wouldn't be any problem. ;) :D
Sorry, I’m a bit slow, but I have no clue what you mean.

Sorry, I’m a bit slow, but I have no clue what you mean.
Sorry, kiwi humour. If they were bridesmaids (which I certainly don't believe) and decided to marry the groom, they would become brides which wouldn't be a problem in getting locked up with the groom and other bride(s).
I've been having a hard time so trying to interject something a little lighter. Peace and warm fuzzies.

Could you please clarify, I believe verse 14 is the key verse that you are referring to.
That whole section is incredible re this discussion and may be what Christ was referring to (albeit obliquely) in Matthew.
Especially as it appears that the king listed is Christ himself in the earlier part of the chapter

The king already has a queen and other honorable women who apparently were princesses themselves. He appears to be adding the princess of Tyre to his household as well as her maidens.

He appears to be adding the princess of Tyre to his household as well as her maidens.
Team Tyre?

Without allowing our imaginations to wander too far.

I cannot find any solid ancient references to bridesmaids. There are lots of popular modern articles, but few cite any sound references. Here's a good example. The basic consensus is that bridesmaids are linked to: Royal court traditions around really extravagent weddings with lots of people to show support for the king & queen, ancient Roman rules around requiring 10 witnesses to a wedding, the use of extra women as decoys to distract potential wife-thieves or evil spirits (nobody references this at all though, they just say it), and Leah and Rachel bringing maids with them. There's nothing to actually show ancient bridesmaid traditions at the time of Christ, that I've seen.

But the idea these are bridesmaids is written in Matthew Henry's commentary of 1705, so is an old one, and he does cite two of the above ideas (Roman witnesses, and Leah + Rachel), so some of this logic goes back a while. But still isn't that ancient.

In plain language, these are all brides.

The only biblical reference to maids is Leah & Rachel's maids, and they ended up as brides anyway...

I cannot find any solid ancient references to bridesmaids. There are lots of popular modern articles, but few cite any sound references. Here's a good example. The basic consensus is that bridesmaids are linked to: Royal court traditions around really extravagent weddings with lots of people to show support for the king & queen, ancient Roman rules around requiring 10 witnesses to a wedding, the use of extra women as decoys to distract potential wife-thieves or evil spirits (nobody references this at all though, they just say it), and Leah and Rachel bringing maids with them. There's nothing to actually show ancient bridesmaid traditions at the time of Christ, that I've seen.

But the idea these are bridesmaids is written in Matthew Henry's commentary of 1705, so is an old one, and he does cite two of the above ideas (Roman witnesses, and Leah + Rachel), so some of this logic goes back a while. But still isn't that ancient.

In plain language, these are all brides.

The only biblical reference to maids is Leah & Rachel's maids, and they ended up as brides anyway...
Very helpful thank you!

Ya those are literal maids: servants, slaves. They're not 'bridesmaids' in the modern sense of the word.
So I think the next step would be to figure out if the word "parthenois" (virgins) is usually used to indicate a bride or if it is ever used to indicate another office. Or if it indicates anything at all other than being a literal virgin.

So far I haven't found anything saying it was used to indicate something more than being a virgin.

So I think the next step would be to figure out if the word "parthenois" (virgins) is usually used to indicate a bride or if it is ever used to indicate another office. Or if it indicates anything at all other than being a literal virgin.

So far I haven't found anything saying it was used to indicate something more than being a virgin.

When virgins go to meet a groom and upon missing him are wailing and gnashing their teeth, you know they weren't just some random girl off the street going to a marriage feast. There isn't any other office. In their cultural context it is virgins who get married.

Back