• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Weapons of Mass Reduction (c'mon, it's funny)

Andria

Ok, y'all...this is NOT fun, but here goes ;)

*5 minutes later*

I mean it this time! lol..
I've just been sitting here staring at the blank space asking myself if I'm sure I want to open this up, because I know asking for prayer means I better be prepared for what comes my way. I do want to open this up because it's time for change.

For a long time I've been "trying" to become more physically healthy. I guess the more appropriate terms would be "thinking about trying" because I've never really gotten more than a couple weeks into it. I used to be very active and a bit of an athlete, but as I got into junior high and high school I became less and less active and starting putting on weight. I also believed awful things about myself, and saw what I believed was 'fat' every time I looked into the mirror (with a much more healthy mind I realize now that was absolutely not the case). I also had an older brother who perpetuated those feelings by calling me ugly or fat almost any chance he got. (He has since apologized and I love him more than words can say). Essentially I feel like I became what I thought I was. It's really sad to think about, I wish I could reach out to my younger self and speak in truth and love about who I really was, especially in God's eyes, and that I had a great purpose ahead of me.

Since I can't do that and change who I've become, the best thing I can do is to make a choice to daily walk in the truth and love that God wants to speak to me. I'm not at all a lukewarm person, I'm either all in or all out, and I think that's ultimately been the reason behind my lack of success in getting healthy....my whole heart hasn't been in it. I would consider this to be my biggest flaw...that I don't take care of the body I've been given. I feel like I'm trapped in someone else's body because the heart in me is active and energetic and not lazy, yet I am in a body that states the opposite. It's not fun to admit and I really hate that I've gotten to this place. I want to go for a run without wanting to keel over and die. I want to have the energy I need to keep up with my nieces and nephews. I want to enjoy the idea of meeting a bunch of the BF family on a retreat without being self conscious so I can just give of myself and get the most out of the experience. Most importantly, I want my whole being, inside and out, to be a testament to the work God has done in my life. I want it to be His temple.

Please please pray with and for me in this. I'm asking because I have realized that I need a community in this matter. I'm too used to figuring stuff out on my own and working through my problems by myself. I don't want to do that anymore. Please pray specifically that I wake up daily making a conscious choice to make healthy decisions. I am EASILY distracted and scatter-brained and I will go the whole day forgetting to do what I wanted to do. I need to be more aware. I have a lot of the head knowledge about how to get physically fit and what kind of foods to eat, the biggest problem I'm facing is willpower! Also, if you could pray that, in His timing, God would reveal to me who He has in mind for me to have as a mentor (and that He would reveal it to this woman, as well). I think this would be very helpful in this journey.

If any women (or men) have experience in this matter and have any kind of advice or wisdom to pass along, I would so appreciate it. I've been truly blessed by the BF forums, you all have such great insights and kind words. I only hope that I can somehow give back what I feel I've been given.

And I'm sorry that I write epic novels practically every time I post!!! I will *TRY* to condense them in the future lol.

i will be praying, being fit is one of my goals also :)

With the thin frame that I have I found that even 5 lbs extra was uncomfortable. I never gave a gym the opportunity to see me as I thought it a waste of time and money...then I cam across a video game...yes a video game, and the only one approved by the American Heart Association! It is the Wii and a program called Wii Fit plus. There are numerous exercises available and even a somewhat annoying personal trainer (you get to chose male or female). There are are also balance games that you could enjoy with the kids. I also got a Wii Sports game that has golf, tennis, bowling, boxing, and baseball. I got into the habit of working out every day for about an hour doing the strength training exercises...what a difference it makes! You can make a customized workout to do the exercises you chose if you want or you can follow a routine all ready to go. The convenience of being able to work out in your own home with a minimal expense/investment is awesome.

http://wiifit.com/

Andria,

My heart goes out to you and your battle with the weight. I have been big most of my life but in 2007 I decided I had to do something. Having support really does help in losing weight. I decided I needed to lose weight so I signed up with a doctor who put me on a 1200 calorie, no carb diet. In 17 months I lost 155 pounds but I had a friend who was a really good support buddy. I have gained back 65 pounds but now I am working to get it off. I will pray as I work on losing mine and I will ask God to give you the inner strength to handle your weight loss journey. Don't give up. People who are overweight are not ugly, just unhealthy. Regardless of a person's size, we are all beautiful in Gods eyes. Now we have to begin to love our body as God loves us. Take it one day at a time.

God Bless,

James & Lacey

Good one, Ylop-olis :p :lol:

Andria, boy, howdy can I relate to your dilemma. Being active all my life and then dealing with this, uh, pesky meno-pouch that feels like a fanny pack attached to the front of me that I can't take off at night.....AAARGH. Me no likey!

I will be praying for you, as this is my struggle as well. Wanting my temple to glorify God in fact and in deed without legalism or craziness, I'm with ya! ;)

But let me speak to your fears re: the conference. First of all, many of the folks that will be there are in the same boat, and I don't know of a one of them that would look askance at you and say "Hmmmmmm, she has a touch of avoir du pois, (french for fat, babes, :eek: ) is she worthy of my attention?" Quite frankly, most of us could stand to lighten our load a bit, ya know?

What makes Bib Fam conferences such a delight to me is walking in the truth that we are indeed a motley crew, (the way I envision David's mighty men-in-training when he was running from Saul,) and for some reason that none of us can figure out we have been entrusted with the restoration of a lost truth that threatens Western civilization as it has been structured for hundreds of years. Who'd a thunk it? :shock:

You will find, depending on who attends, folks from law enforcement, medicine, education, IT fancy pants guys, a truck driver, a newspaper publisher,a Marine who served in Iraq, brilliant and lovely stay at home moms who completely rock, people who have it together in some ways and are a train wreck in others, people who have several degrees and people who did well to finish high school. I proly have left someone out, sawree, but you get my drift.

If we are going to be properly PC, and again depending on who comes, representatives from all people groups, types and stripes show up. Round that out with kids who at times are angels and at times give their folks fits, and you have us. Homo sapiens, that be us'ns.

But where we peg the meters in the diversity department is spiritually. You will be amongst Baptists, Charismatics, Messianics, 7th Day Adventists, Presbyterians, Non-denoms, Brethren, Church of Christ folks, and God knows who and what else. While we wrangle and tangle on the board, we agree on one thing: we are all washed in the blood of the resurrected Lamb, and just like it was in the homeschool movement, are hopefully falling forward re: PM and getting back up again.

I just want to thank you for being so vulnerable here on the board with people you don't know about a topic that I know from personal experience is ow-ey. I find that whether I am at my "fighting weight" and in good shape or if I am squishy, I still haven't gotten to the place where I can sigh with peace re: my temple and what really constitutes glorifying God with it. Perhaps we'll discover it together! ;)

Hope you'll be on the gals' chat tomorrow, and see ya at the conference!!!

Yeah, THAT, AliT!

Wish you well, Andria, and ignore the fears. We got other things on our minds than someone else's BMI (Body Mass Index). Our own are giving us fits. :lol:

lol, AliT that was great, thank you. Thanks to all of you for your support. Don't worry, I'm not that much of a chicken to skip a retreat for that reason ;) I got word of the retreat just a bit too late to know for sure if I will be able to budget it or not, so it comes down to that. If this one doesn't work out, I'd really like to make it to the women's retreat in October.

On the subject of the thread though, I was thinking more on it last night. I can't help but notice and appreciate how God used a 'bad thing' for a good purpose. When I started putting on weight, I was at a very crucial point in my life that would determine a lot about who I turned out to be. I grew up in a home where we went to church, but we didn't experience God in our home as a family. Because of that, I was very much subject to the influence of my friends in school. I'm not positive that if I had kept the weight off and had a positive self esteem that I would have 'stayed out of trouble'. Because of the weight, I was a lot more reserved and didn't put myself out there. I'd put more money on me being a bit more rebellious than not if it had gone the other way. Weighing out the two choices, I'd rather battle the physical weight that I know I can overcome than imagine what kind of mess my life might have turned out to be.

I hear ya, Chica, re: how God uses our messes to keep us out of messes. For my part, I never dropped acid because I was experiencing some pretty phenomenal things just with smoking dope.....

I would not be at all surprised if the angels assigned to me are getting treated for PTSD. :roll: :lol: :D Thank God that grace is indeed amazing and that the blood will never lose its power!

Back