• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Weekly recipe

My family loves when I make these sourdough chocolate chip scones.

This week I made muscadine preserves.
1 gallon muscadines
4 cups swerve
1 cup fruit pectin
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
Enough water to cover the berries
Step 1
prepare the grapes by cutting in half and removing the seeds.
Step 2
Put grapes into a pot and cover with water and bring to a boil. (This will soften the hulls)
Step 3
Blend everything up together or leave chunky, your preference.
Step 4 add pectin and bring to a boil.
Step 5 add sweetener and spices. (The spices are optional) and mix until sweetener is devolved. Once it starts to thicken its ready.

I canned mine and gave a community in my area a large jar. They said it was really good.

This is my adaptation of my grandmother's recipe for a spice cake or a cake with fruit (but not a 'Fruitcake'!!)

It is my favorite fall/winter recipe!

2 cups seedless raisins, dried cranberries, or diced dried apricots
2 1/4 cups water (you can substitute 1/4 cup of brandy for 1/4 cup of water to get a brandy taste)
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups sugar
2 egss, beaten
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground clove
2 tsp all spice
2 tsp nutmeg (optional because it gives some people heartburn)
3 1/2 cups of flour. (Whole wheat unbleached flour works really well with this recipe.)
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda

Combine the raisins, spices, and water and simmer to a light boil and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat and add oil, then the sugar, and then the eggs followed by the salt and baking soda. Sift in the flour and stir until smooth.

Pour the mixture into a greased 13x9 glass pan. I do not recommend using a larger pan for double recipes, it never ends well. Just use another 13x9.

Bake at 375F in a regular oven or at 350F in a convection oven for around 35-40 minutes (check it at around 30 minutes).

WARNING: Cooking this will make your house smell AWESOME!!! :)

Last edited:
It's been years since our daughter found this recipe for PEACH UPSIDE_DOWN CAKE online and we made it for her birthday.
The link is
The following screen shots may live longer then the link.

I like almond extract better then vanilla, but both are good. This cake is always a hit and leftovers? ....nonexistant!

Screenshot_20221003-205921_Brave.jpg
Screenshot_20221003-205936_Brave.jpg

Another yummy cake is this one that I make every week for our Saturday coffee and conversation hosting. I top it with chocolate whipped cream....or sometimes coconut pecan frosting.

I use butter instead of coconut oil. And usually do two rounds, or a triple batch in a huge commercial pan. It gets eaten.

Self-saucing chocolate pudding

Dry ingredients

125g plain flour

1 pinch salt

60g sugar

2 teaspoons baking powder

2 tablespoons cocoa powder

Wet ingredients

40g melted butter or oil

120ml milk

Few drops vanilla

1 egg

Topping

180g soft brown sugar (Or white sugar for lighter sauce)

2 tablespoons cocoa powder

250ml Boiling water

Recipe

Sieve dry ingredients into pyrex bowl (Suitable for baking in oven)

Combine wet ingredients in a jug then mix into dry to make cake mixture

Mix sugar and cocoa then sprinkle on top of cake mixture. Gently pour water on top to form a puddle. Do not mix in.

Cook at 180C for about 45 mins

Recipe may be doubled or tripled up into larger bowl if needed. Comes out with cake on top and a rich choc sauce underneath.

Best coffee cake I’ve ever made! Possibly the best I’ve ever had…it’s an older recipe I found in a recipe index from the 50’s! I hope you can read my handwriting, as I can’t be bothered to dig out the actual recipe card.

Attachments

• 1A82CEA2-0CC0-4DBF-8193-ED3F98D6A4D9.jpeg
    1A82CEA2-0CC0-4DBF-8193-ED3F98D6A4D9.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
Back