• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Well, that happened a lot sooner than I'd thought...

DeathIsNotTheEnd

Real Person
Male
And not in a good way :\

A few of you know that I have a brother who has generally been super supportive and understanding. A few weeks ago, out of the blue, he approached me about the whole PM issue. Now, I am not currently practicing PM as the wife is not on board, and that's fine. For me, at the moment, it is simply an issue of belief and understanding.

But, sadly, my brother did not approach it this way, could not agree to disagree, etc. Uncharacteristically, I felt that I actually answered every objection he raised, but he didn't care and ignored me. The conversation did not really end (well or otherwise), and eventually I had to just ask him to drop it and for us to not discuss it, unless he really desired to learn and hear my thoughts.

That was about two weeks ago now, maybe a bit more. At the time I was upset, but let it go. I have a sister who I would never bother discussing this stuff with (she's a hardcore feminist), and only a few friends (besides the wife, obviously :) that I have mentioned this to and took it well. I had not intended to really raise the issue with the rest of my family, because I assumed (correctly) what their thoughts would be. That is, traditional/typical American response. I suppose I had over-optimistically assumed, though, that should such a thing ever actually BECOME a reality, that talking with them would go more like a gentle, slow introduction of the idea and such.

Instead, my brother broke my trust and decided to share this with the family. So three days ago I received a rather angry phone call from my father, who was...displeased, to say the least. I tried to mention some of the same points I'd made to my brother, but he didn't care. In fact at one point I said 'if you'd like to discuss what the Bible says about it...' to which he cut me off and said "I don't care what the Bible says about it". :/

Welp. That's that. I got him to hang up by letting him know that my wife and I are not currently IN the practice, and that we are for all intents and purposes perfectly happy together, and no, this does not mean there is something 'wrong' or 'going on' in our marriage. That seemed to satisfy him enough that I was able to get off the phone, but it was not really 'closure' of any sort. There's a rift and a wall there now, and sadly, I'm supposed to see them all soon when they come out to visit for my wife's end-of-Residency celebration. I have...no idea what I'm supposed to say, or how to approach them.

Anyway. Just wanted to share with folks who get it :(
I would appreciate prayer.

If nothing else...this really solidified for me the reality of, as some have said, needing to 'count the cost' of this lifestyle if my wife and I choose to pursue it. I haven't even DONE anything, but just the idea was enough to make everyone have a meltdown :(

I dunno why people can't just leave me alone. I don't go calling them up and complaining about stuff I disagree with THEM on. :/

Welcome to the Club!

This just shows how much the enemy of our souls hates and fears this truth.

Hang in there, @EternalDreamer! We have relatives that took years to come around, but they came around (sadly, there were a couple that never did). Just keep doing the Jesus stuff (bless and pray for your enemies) and trust Him for the outcome.

That is rough, brother. I’ll keep you in my prayers. I think with time, the shock may wear off a bit for them. At least i hope so, for your sake.

The Lord Jesus said that he did not come to bring peace, but a sword. I know he wasn’t speaking specifically about PM, but any truth of G-d can have that effect.

Matthew 10:34-39 KJV
[34] Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. [35] For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. [36] And a man's foes shall be they of his own household. [37] He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. [38] And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me. [39] He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.

I am really sorry to read this. You are in my prayers.

"I don't care what the Bible says about it". :/

Ha! I've gotten that one! So has the wife, actually.

I will be praying for you. If it helps, remember that rubbing them the wrong way by merely assenting to what the bible teaches is actually rubbing them the exact way that they need to be rubbed.

(Your father may not have come to grips with the fact that he values his own opinion over God's, but since you got him to barf that up, he might actually have to deal with it now)

That is rough, brother. I’ll keep you in my prayers. I think with time, the shock may wear off a bit for them. At least i hope so, for your sake.

The Lord Jesus said that he did not come to bring peace, but a sword. I know he wasn’t speaking specifically about PM, but any truth of G-d can have that effect.

Yeah, very true. I guess...in general, I haven't encountered it much. I tend to be the most 'open minded' one in my family, and so generally am seen positively (accepting and gentle). This is the first serious issue where that has not been the case :(

Thanks @Slumberfreeze . Appreciate you bro :)

I'm so sorry this has happened. Steve has it on point, it's really a spiritual thing, Satan has a great anger over PM. I don't understand why, but it makes me want to do it even more just to piss him off ;).
You're not the first here, and you won't be the last, that this has happened to. That doesn't help much I'm sure, but it's sort of nice to know you're not alone.
One of the most important things to do right now is to keep very close with your wife. What you don't want right now is family (hers or yours) going to her behind your back and bringing her to the conclusion that you might commit adultery and she should leave to save you all the bother. It has happened before, however unbiblical it seems. The interesting thing about how many Christians react to PM is that is isn't in any way biblical or Christian at all.

I'm so sorry this has happened. Steve has it on point, it's really a spiritual thing, Satan has a great anger over PM. I don't understand why, but it makes me want to do it even more just to piss him off ;).
You're not the first here, and you won't be the last, that this has happened to. That doesn't help much I'm sure, but it's sort of nice to know you're not alone.
One of the most important things to do right now is to keep very close with your wife. What you don't want right now is family (hers or yours) going to her behind your back and bringing her to the conclusion that you might commit adultery and she should leave to save you all the bother. It has happened before, however unbiblical it seems. The interesting thing about how many Christians react to PM is that is isn't in any way biblical or Christian at all.

Yeah, I of course did mention it to her. She got angry at them and her 'momma bear' came out haha. She was and is very encouraging. But yes, it definitely crossed my mind. I asked my father not to go complaining to her and he sort of agreed, but then, my brother did too so...we shall see :/

Thank you again all :)

... i wonder what 'mom' thinks ... she seems kinda quiet, in the wake of dads outburst ...
I think it is possible dad hasnt shared it with mom. But I imagine her response would be the same.

I'm just glad, in the moment, that the wife's parents are not involved...cus that would be even tougher I think.

Hey, well I can fully feel your frustration and discouragement! My wife reminds me we will be persecuted for our faith so I pass that on to you. PM is not unbiblical, it's not a command either but we're not wronging anyone, especially God by following the practices of many great men in the bible. I'm very sorry to read your post but glad we have each others support on here. I got overwhelmed with the negative feedback from family also, even to the point I considered changing my choices and questioning them, even though I was prepared for the attacks. Push forward, don't give up!

Personally, I didn't have my wife's support entering into PM however she is God fearing and I just plunged into it without asking her acceptance, (after 4 years of discussing it) I guess you can say I trusted her not to leave and it would be good for the family, (not just me). Sure enough, she now prefers PM and our marriage is even better.

In regards to family, I've got some suggestions that might help when you decide to enter the PM. Obviously, don't base your decision off of your family's opinions. We found it was easier to draft a document regarding PM biblically and the benefits of it, then we sent it to our families (nervously). My father died when I was a teen and my mother re married 15 years later to a liberal Christian. She was very angry at my choices and justified her reasons on Jesus message about divorce "it was not so in the beginning", and If God intended PM he would had made more than one wife for Adam.... I think Adam and Eve is the closest argument any one can have that objects PM, potentially.

Any way..... my wife's dad thinks she's crazy for staying with me and we are religious fanatics (hes not saved). Her mom is fully supportive ands is glad her daughter is happy. My mother, 6 months later, is very kind and accepts my choices and is kind and accepting to my other spouse. I don't dare talk to my sisters or brother about it, as I know their opinions and we don't have a relationship any more, sadly.

I've found people in general to be very accepting and nice about our PM, including Christian friends, both men and women. We don't live in hiding or stay in fear in our life choices, ultimately we are accountable before God, not man, and His opinion matters most to me. Put God over it, he knows your desires, and when it's time, trust Him and make your move, everything else will fall in line, no matter if your parents or siblings like it or not. Pray about it and feel your wife out, her loyalty and trust in God is the priority od youg take another wife. is hard for women to understand how their husband can love more than one wife, next is the time for her, she won't be the only one any more so your time will be less with her and this scares the ladies.... even for me now when considering taking a 3rd. Your struggles with family is only going to prepare you for the challenges ahead in PM. Patients and love has to prevail. Happy to help any way I can through your journey.

Romans 8:28, For God works all things out for the good for those who are called according to his purpose.

I'm supposed to see them all soon when they come out to visit for my wife's end-of-Residency celebration. I have...no idea what I'm supposed to say, or how to approach them.

You do not have to say anything. Just be polite. Have a reason for your faith if they ask, but leave that to them.

I haven't even DONE anything, but just the idea was enough to make everyone have a meltdown :(

There is nothing more dangerous than an idea. They are faced with the possibility that the world might not be what they thought it was.

I dunno why people can't just leave me alone. I don't go calling them up and complaining about stuff I disagree with THEM on. :/

I know, right?

Back