• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

What are multiple moms called by their kids?

Leslie Pease

Real Person
Female
Ok so funny question maybe.. Lol how do your kids differentiate between calling different moms in your houses?? Like do they all call you different names? Do you just know the difference in each kids voice so you know whos calling which mom? Like when they say "mom!" are all the moms in the house like "what?!" And then what do you do? Haha I know it's probably not a big deal but my husband married my sister so I'm not sure how different our kids are gonna be sounding compared to each other and I kinda like the idea of us being mom to each others kids..it seems that it would bring a home closer together than segregate it.

I personally think that only THE mom should be called "mom". I think that honors her and sets her apart from other ladies who a certain amount of authority over the child. We decided to have the kids just call us by our given names. In public most people would think I was a step-mom or a nanny. Being that your sister wife is your sister, it seems that Aunt Lara or Aunt Leslie would work well and it will be easier to explain the family connect as they get older.

I'm from the south, and it's a normal honorific for a close family friend to be given a title of aunt or uncle. So a close friend of my mom has always been Aunt Deb. No blood relation but she's always been my aunt. It's always been a term of endearment and easy to explain. So IMHO if it were ever an issue where you needed to be wise as a serpent and harmless as a dove, it seems like the most non-jarring term to use would be aunt. Sometimes children can speak when they should be silent, or say more than is wise, or miscommunicate and cause undue drama through poor choice in words. Some of those instances could cause a degree of danger or scrutiny that is not desired or warranted. I say, blend in best you can and go with a soft, accepted term.

I personally think that only THE mom should be called "mom". I think that honors her and sets her apart from other ladies who a certain amount of authority over the child. We decided to have the kids just call us by our given names. In public most people would think I was a step-mom or a nanny. Being that your sister wife is your sister, it seems that Aunt Lara or Aunt Leslie would work well and it will be easier to explain the family connect as they get older.
I would agree.
I prefer to avoid the ”Sarah has two mommies” vibe.

What Julie said. My folks divorced and I have a step mom. I love her, but I call her by her first name.
What is HUGELY different about adding a wife to the family is the new woman isn't taking the place of the children's mother in the father's life.

I call my mother in law mom, but even after 14 years the relationship with my dad's wife is different.

Our children (several of them adults) had a working friendship with our new family members before things changed. Their first names are just fine, and I don't expect her son to ever call me mom. He has a mom already. I do like that he is comfortable with me though.

I wonder if calling another woman "mother or mom", especially in the presence of your actual mother might not offend the Holy One by failing to properly honor your mother.

Everyone should be properly honored, but honoring father and mother is a ten commandments issue.

In Leslie's situation, I think aunt makes the most sense. I think aunt could also be appropriate in the sense that NickF used it. In addition something like "Miss First name" as Revolting Man suggested makes good sense.

NOTE: this isn't advise, it's just my opinion and how I feel;
I personally don't want to call the other woman an "aunt" or by her given name. I don't want to think of her as an aunt, and calling her by her given name would make me feel like she's just a lady friend who's living with us. If another woman marries my dad, I'm going to think of her as a step-mom. So, I would call my birth mom "Mommy" and the other woman "Stepmommy". My parents have no problem with this. If a another woman marries my dad, she is automatically a parent and I should honor her like my mom even though we're not blood-related.

I personally don't want to call the other woman an "aunt" or by her given name. I don't want to think of her as an aunt, and calling her by her given name would make me feel like she's just a lady friend who's living with us. If another woman marries my dad, I'm going to think of her as a step-mom. So, I would call my birth mom "Mommy" and the other woman "Stepmommy". My parents have no problem with this. If a another woman marries my dad, she is automatically a parent and I should honor her like my mom even though we're not blood-related.
I think that's a very well measured and good attitude to have.

Your response makes sense to me.

I do wonder if "stepmommy" might feel awkward to actually say. "Step mom" seems more like a description than a term of endearment.

I wonder if calling another woman "mother or mom", especially in the presence of your actual mother might not offend the Holy One by failing to properly honor your mother.

Everyone should be properly honored, but honoring father and mother is a ten commandments issue.

In Leslie's situation, I think aunt makes the most sense. I think aunt could also be appropriate in the sense that NickF used it. In addition something like "Miss First name" as Revolting Man suggested makes good sense.
I would advise being careful with this understanding, was Christ dishonoring His mother? We want to consider who Christ called his mother in the presence of His mother. Matthew 12:48, Mark 3:33-34, Luke 8:21.

I would advise being careful with this understanding, was Christ dishonoring His mother? We want to consider who Christ called his mother in the presence of His mother. Matthew 12:48, Mark 3:33-34, Luke 8:21.
Certainly worth considering 🤔

I would also advise being careful directly applying things from from the life of Christ that may or may not be relevant to us.

Christ is the Only Begotten Son of God. He alone is both fully Man and fully Divine. Being utterly unique, He is in a category of His own.

He therefore has a unique relationship with His parents. His parents, God the Father, Mary his mother, and Joseph His earthly stepfather also have unique relationships with each other.

Jesus the Christ is the Son of Mary, but He is also the Creator, Savior, and Lord of Mary. He was knit together in her womb, but He also knit her together in her mother's womb.

Normally speaking, a person should give roughly comparable honor to father and mother.

In Jesus situation, His Father (being God) deserves infinitely more honor than His mother or stepfather (or my parents, or your parents). Nonetheless, Jesus (though He is God the Son) perfectly honored His mother and stepfather as well as His Father.

The passages you referenced really focus on the centrality and primacy of our relationship with God. They deal more with the first commandment than the fifth. God alone is our God, and every other relationship flows forth from that central one. We must love God far more than our earthly family.

The Lord also addressed His mother as "woman" at the wedding in Cana. Remember that He is the One who formed woman out of the rib of man.

I would be extremely hesitant to ever refer to my mother as "woman". I am ever her son and never her lord. Christ is both Son and Lord of Mary.

What is considered respectful or disrespectful is a highly cultural matter that changes over the years. I too get the children to call adults "Mr Smith" etc instead of their first name - however this is just because it's the culture where and when I live. Several centuries ago, "Mr Smith" wouldn't have even had a surname - he would have simply been "Fred son of Bob". So the children would have called him "Fred", or "the smith" if he actually was a smith. Respect would be shown in a different way.

So @Bartato, I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill. You'd be uncomfortable calling your mother "woman" simply because in the culture you grew up in that was considered disrespectful. Not because it is inherently disrespectful (as can be seen by the fact Jesus said it). It's a temporary cultural thing. Same with applying the word "mother" to someone other than your birth mother. And with calling a wife "woman" - it's considered disrespectful, even though that's the literal meaning of the word "wife".

Just like how certain words are considered vulgar, and others with the exact same meaning are considered polite - sh*t and poo. There is no inherent, timeless moral reason for one to be vulgar and the other not. It's just tradition - and it changes.

Or how if you refer to a person as being "Black", that is presently in Western countries considered an accurate description of their race, but if you say the word in Spanish as "Negro", that's now considered disrespectful (although it was considered polite a very few decades ago), and if you use the traditional mispronunciation of that term and aren't a black rapper you'll lose your job and be demonised for life (although it was considered entirely acceptable a century ago). This illustrates there is no timeless principle behind what is "respectful" or "disrespectful", it is entirely cultural.

So what matters is whether we show respect, with the emphasis on the word show. In other words, does it appear to the listener, from their cultural background, that our words are respectful? If so, we are showing respect. If not, we need to adjust to fit the culture we are in at that time so that the respect we intend is actually shown and heard by the listener.

So if your wife doesn't want her kids calling the other wife "mum", don't get them to call her that. Simple.

What is considered respectful or disrespectful is a highly cultural matter that changes over the years. I too get the children to call adults "Mr Smith" etc instead of their first name - however this is just because it's the culture where and when I live. Several centuries ago, "Mr Smith" wouldn't have even had a surname - he would have simply been "Fred son of Bob". So the children would have called him "Fred", or "the smith" if he actually was a smith. Respect would be shown in a different way.

So @Bartato, I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill. You'd be uncomfortable calling your mother "woman" simply because in the culture you grew up in that was considered disrespectful. Not because it is inherently disrespectful (as can be seen by the fact Jesus said it). It's a temporary cultural thing. Same with applying the word "mother" to someone other than your birth mother. And with calling a wife "woman" - it's considered disrespectful, even though that's the literal meaning of the word "wife".

Just like how certain words are considered vulgar, and others with the exact same meaning are considered polite - sh*t and poo. There is no inherent, timeless moral reason for one to be vulgar and the other not. It's just tradition - and it changes.

Or how if you refer to a person as being "Black", that is presently in Western countries considered an accurate description of their race, but if you say the word in Spanish as "Negro", that's now considered disrespectful (although it was considered polite a very few decades ago), and if you use the traditional mispronunciation of that term and aren't a black rapper you'll lose your job and be demonised for life (although it was considered entirely acceptable a century ago). This illustrates there is no timeless principle behind what is "respectful" or "disrespectful", it is entirely cultural.

So what matters is whether we show respect, with the emphasis on the word show. In other words, does it appear to the listener, from their cultural background, that our words are respectful? If so, we are showing respect. If not, we need to adjust to fit the culture we are in at that time so that the respect we intend is actually shown and heard by the listener.

So if your wife doesn't want her kids calling the other wife "mum", don't get them to call her that. Simple.
1657560144234.png1657560144234.png

I think Children should call their actual mother Mom and shoud address the other morher(s) in a respectful manner such as
Ms Cathy

Back