• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

What if Jesus was married?

If Jesus was married then he would've had children.
The sin of every single person on this planet is inherited from Adam, from the first sin. We are all decendants of Adam. If these children then exist they inherit no sin as they come from a sinless father and would therefore be perfect. Jesus wouldn't be so unique then would he? Could one of his children have saved us from our sins too if we just believed in them? There'd be millions of his decendants wandering around who now wouldn't need salvation. Getting mighty tricky now isn't it ;).

Pebble, what does the Holy Spirit say to you about this? Human ideas about spiritual things are always flawed. Take PM for instance, according to some human ideas you could be kicked out of a church for this belief. Thinking that PM is the only spiritual idea that we could have gotten wrong is a bit naive in my mind. Trust the Holy Spirit over man's ideas, He will always lead you to the Truth.

Stating that Jesus would have had physical children is an assumption. But, spiritually as God's children, we are sinless in the eye's of God through Jesus Christ. Consider the parable of the 7 brothers and the one wife. The parable is about a man who marries a woman and has no children before he dies. The parable can convey that we as spiritual brothers of our older brother are to raise up seed (spiritually) to Him because He had no children? So the idea of Jesus being married really is not detrimental to one's faith. (But to some, as in PM, it is.) But, that's another human opinion.

Hello,

It's not about me. If the Bible don't say anything about Him getting married, then it's best to believe He wasn't. And even if He was married and became physically intimate with a woman, He is still the Messiah to me. It's best prepared to have answers for the doubters.

That point about Him having kids is interesting. But marriage does not always result in kids.

Thanks! :D

I HAVE AN OPINION.

Several... really. I think that Jesus would be our Messiah even if he was married, because I know of no prophecies in the OT regarding his marital status at all. I can think of several really good reasons why He WOULDN'T, however.

1- With the mania that surrounds the things of God, taken wrongly, (ie: The people of Israel worshipping the brass serpent) Jesus might not be keen to 'endorse' anyone by virtue of familial association with Him. He distanced Himself (a couple times) from His own mother, and she was improperly venerated nonetheless. What would have been done with his wife (or wives, I suppose) and potential children? And there would have been children...

1a because the earliest command given to man was to be fruitful and multiply. If He had been here to take women to himself and as eager as He was to fulfill all righteousness, he would have likely started a tribe. And I don't think our Lord would have been impotent... nor would barrenness stand in the way of the man who orders dead friends to quit being so lazy and get back to their homes.

2 And would those children be sinless, like FollowingHim says? WHOOOOAAAAA NELLIE that would be intense, but we have no record of any other sinless man walking the earth. And if they were born into sin, then we have an idiomatic problem because God, for the first time, begat that which was sinful. no thank you to that!

3 Speaking of idioms: The Church is the Bride of Christ, yeah? It might be damaging to that picture if there were actual women who could also claim that title independantly of saving faith in the Messiah.

4 Unequally Yoked. Massively unequally yoked. Any woman He could have married would have been, as yet, un-paid for. And along with that would not have recieved the gift of the indwelling Holy Spirit, as it was not given until Pentecost. The bride-price He came to pay did not get handed over until His death. What fellowship has light with darkness? He desires a bride without spot or blemish, what earthly woman would even be an adequate picture of that?

But I am in agreement with the overall conclusion that even if Jesus were married, as long as He died on the cross for my sin and resurrected on the 3rd day as the Scripture says- then He's the guy I trust in, whatever else He did while walking the earth. Lord knows I'm always a little bit wrong about everything anyways.

Why would marriage, which for us should be pure, righteous, holy, etc. bear such insult as to contaminate Christ but not us? He could have been married in my opinion.

Also:
Hebrews 4:15American Standard Version (ASV) For we have not a high priest that cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but one that hath been in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.

That sounds like Christ would have needed a wife to fulfil this scripture. Ha.

Also, if Christ had a wife, that would infer that she was probably a better cook then mine. But that could only be explained away as an unrecorded miracle. And if Christ's wife was a bad cook then that explains why he never told anyone!

Back