• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Mark C

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Male
Finally, for those that still think the "Torah of Moses" just means "law," this week the Torah parsha for the annual reading cycle really is, mostly, about law. Real 'Law.' What became the fundamental basis for the English, and then American, "Common Law." And the Constitution.

And it also includes THE single, defining, first description of the process of 'marriage' as well.

This primary illustration of what is arguably THE most important outline for THE most important concept in law, and then some of the most vital, and now actively dismembered, principles that relate to it, teaches by example. Some might call it 'precedent.'

And ironically, it really doesn't even do that by listing statutes, ordinances, or commandments.

Perhaps most importantly, even, this parsha is about what it really means to "come in the Name of" the Master. And, in the process, it gives us an understanding of what I will strongly suggest is, or should be, THE most important goal in the life of any Believer in Him.

And it also includes THE single, defining, first description of the process of 'marriage' as well.

God bless you for appreciating that marriage is a process and not a ceremony! The hardest parts come AFTER the party!

IMHO the real goal for a believer is two-fold.

1. Everlasting life in the Presence of God
2. Experiencing the gifts of a Godly life on earth.

That second part does not include worldly riches but instead the kind of riches that wealthy people often seek and cannot buy.

...IMHO the real goal for a believer is two-fold.

1. Everlasting life in the Presence of God
2. Experiencing the gifts of a Godly life on earth.

While I don't disagree, especially with #1, I guess I'd consider that a "given." In other words, it's the promise/reward everyone is aware of.

The problem that I have with what I'd call the 'standard reaction' is that I've seen far too many - most? - people who then tend to ask, "well, what's the MINIMUM I can do to 'squeak in the door' - and avoid that hot Other Place?"

(Thus, my admittedly sarcastic reaction to the "say the Rote Prayer, and get your Get-Out-of-Hell-Free Card, do not pass 'Go,' and so on" crowd.)

My own "mission,' if you will, has thus been focused on those who accept that just "getting into heaven," is therefore not THE Goal. To hear the words He advised us to seek after: "Well done, good and faithful servant," for that reason incorporates the rest of 'em.

(And, obedience brings blessings; that's His promise. Thus, #2 is a "given" as well. ;) )

Last edited:
Back