• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

What type of head covering in hot weather?

ChristinaB

Real Person
Female
For those ladies who fully cover, what do you do in really hot weather when outside for numerous hours? We are going to Florida soon and will spend two full days outside. I usually wear a base head wrap then two head coverings over that for fullness and covering. I love that look but also know it will be mid-90’s while in Florida. Maybe the coverings won’t be as hot as I worry but I look forward to reading your thoughts. Thank you in advance for your comments.

Hello! Nice to meet another head covering woman that is also interested in Polygyny! Haha I would love to discuss more of this with you! What do you consider a "full covering?" I know you described it above but I am having a hard time picturing it. Do you wear a covering all the time?

For me personally I wear a nursing scarf and during times of prayer I will pull it over my head since that is my understanding of 1 Corinthians 11. I also know people will wear a very light veil over their hair, if you Google Mennonite hair coverings there's a couple of light head coverings available.

In addition to nursing scarfs I have found lighter infinity scarfs work nicely too, or bandanas/satin lined hats when I'm working outside.

I do want to say I am interested in what your full coverings look like! Another thing I have noticed is your body will adjust to the heat in time. If you don't feel confident and comfortable with my suggestions the best thing I can say is to make sure your coverings are light colored so they will reflect more of the sunlight rather than absorb it and of course stay hydrated! Drinking cool water should help your temperature as well! You may want to pick a few more coverings too since you may sweat through them faster haha

Hope this helps!

God Bless.

C4065642-3082-420B-A8D0-9E241BFC8F68.jpeg
I just started covering 6 months ago so my terminology probably isn’t correct. I cover everyday but when I am in my house, I will sometimes go without or just wear a quick slip on “chemo” type cover. I just typically cover all my hair which is why I say fully cover.

I put priority on the material over style when it's hot, and Florida is also really humid ... hot + humid = miserable! :) Go for a light 100% cotton OR 100% linen. Synthetics trap air, which causes more heat and more sweating. Natural fabrics allow for a lot more air flow; even if you are hot, at least your head can 'breath' while covered.

I just started covering 6 months ago so my terminology probably isn’t correct. I cover everyday but when I am in my house, I will sometimes go without or just wear a quick slip on “chemo” type cover. I just typically cover all my hair which is why I say fully cover.
Very cool! I think your terminology made sense, I've been covering for about 4 years now I'm not an expert or anything but I have learned a few things a long the way 😅

I put priority on the material over style when it's hot,
Yes I agree material is important! I like using thin scarfs too in the summer time like nearly see through but not completely kind of scarfs so air flow can penetrate enough to keep my head "cool". I have really thick hair so keeping my head cool isn't always easy haha

I had to be in Gainesville from July to November last year. I have really long hair and just started to wear a kerchief. It was really hot. My husband seemed ok with it. So my ponytail would hang out.

I love wrapunzel's lightweight wraps. Right now I have only worn square wraps and choose to use the ones that are more see-through in the summer. I also wear a lot of bandanas. I don't wrap for biblical reasons but for sensory issues and to preserve my hair.
I get alot of mine at the Goodwill. I have also bought them at the dollar tree. My everyday head coverings get pretty messy sometimes especially in the rainy season. It's very Muddy here in middle Tennessee.

Blessed afternoon sisters, I have been wearing a covering for 26 years, I have changed styles over the years but seems to always gravitate back to the charity (Baptist/mennonite) style coverings. I love the long scarf wraps, but can never get the right wrap that stays on. I agree with light color and breathable fabric for hot days. So looking forward to seeing/meeting some of you real soon.

I love wrapunzel's lightweight wraps. Right now I have only worn square wraps and choose to use the ones that are more see-through in the summer. I also wear a lot of bandanas. I don't wrap for biblical reasons but for sensory issues and to preserve my hair.

View attachment 3405
I have several of these; the metallic thread really irritates my neck. A bit disappointed because otherwise I love the weight and that the fabric is 100% cotton.

**not-a-full-coverer disclaimer**

I’ve gotten really lazy with my head coverings. Just a lightweight cotton square, folded bandana style. Up until just recently, it was mostly just a basic white one (I’ve even used cloth napkins). But I noticed they had really soft (usually they’re so stiff) cotton bandanas at Walmart for $2. So maybe I’ll diversify for the time being.😄

Attachments

• 29A996BC-7EF4-484D-8ED1-841337B9FEA9.jpeg
    29A996BC-7EF4-484D-8ED1-841337B9FEA9.jpeg
    634.8 KB · Views: 17
I actually prefer lace veil coverings because they're not nearly as hot and let air flow through. I can't deal with the Louisiana heat. I use the longer one for prayer and the shorter ones for most other days, if I feel like it lol. The black ones are my favorite.

They look like this and I got mine off of Amazon.

Attachments

• 81rqepnf7aL._AC_SX679._SX._UX._SY._UY_.jpg
    81rqepnf7aL._AC_SX679._SX._UX._SY._UY_.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 91R12xPF3XL._AC_UX679_.jpg
    91R12xPF3XL._AC_UX679_.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 910GaW0zmGL._AC_SX569._SX._UX._SY._UY_.jpg
    910GaW0zmGL._AC_SX569._SX._UX._SY._UY_.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 4
  • media._SL850_.jpeg
    media._SL850_.jpeg