• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

What would be the best religion/church to attend Bible study?

LDremoved

Seasoned Member
Female
Currently I attend a LDS church but my beliefs don't align with theirs, I also enjoy pentecostal churches as well. I'd like to attend Bible study, which religion would y'all suggest? I don't want to get into a situation where I'm pressured by religious beliefs/preferences as opposed to biblical ones however I know that will happen to an extent in most churches.

Currently I attend a LDS church but my beliefs don't align with theirs, I also enjoy pentecostal churches as well. I'd like to attend Bible study, which religion would y'all suggest? I don't want to get into a situation where I'm pressured by religious beliefs/preferences as opposed to biblical ones however I know that will happen to an extent in most churches.
Have you found any Christian women who align with your beliefs where you live? Then, are they women who you think you’d like to spend time with regularly studying Gods word? I mention that because religion aside, people can believe the same thing but their personalities for one reason or another don’t click, then Bible study will be kind of bumpy.

My advice would be to ask Yah for the person or group that you can trust to lead you.
I wouldn’t recommend ANY organized church.

Hi @LovesDogs. The challenge can be finding a group of people who are learning and growing in their understanding of God and His Word who you can gel with. Every group is different even among the denominational churches because every group is made up of different people. We're all a little unique. :)

Ask around. Chat with people and see if they recommend any particular churches. Keep the focus on learning about God and His Word rather than being entertained or having some kind of experience. Shalom

Our Baptist brethren have several things to recommend them. They take the Bible very seriously they think. They’re not nosy. They’re sane enough that you don’t feel dirty attending but crazy enough that you’re not going to drink their kool aid. Also their dinners are usually really good.

Have you found any Christian women who align with your beliefs where you live? Then, are they women who you think you’d like to spend time with regularly studying Gods word? I mention that because religion aside, people can believe the same thing but their personalities for one reason or another don’t click, then Bible study will be kind of bumpy.
That's a good point, actually I got along with the pentecostal ladies well, I liked them because they're more conservative. I may end up trying one of their churches again. I hate to leave my LDS church, they're really wonderful people but I'm not progressing spiritually there. I actually enjoy the way lots of churches worship, even catholic, it's very peaceful. Just once again I feel like they focus too much on the actual religion and not the Bible. Thank you, as usual ❤️
My advice would be to ask Yah for the person or group that you can trust to lead you.
I wouldn’t recommend ANY organized church.
Thank you, I've been praying and God opened my eyes to how I wasn't really progressing in the LDS church I'm attending. I love church and was hoping to find something more fitting even if it's not perfect.
Hi @LovesDogs. The challenge can be finding a group of people who are learning and growing in their understanding of God and His Word who you can gel with. Every group is different even among the denominational churches because every group is made up of different people. We're all a little unique. :)

Ask around. Chat with people and see if they recommend any particular churches. Keep the focus on learning about God and His Word rather than being entertained or having some kind of experience. Shalom
Thank you for the advice, I sure will. I actually prefer the more peaceful churches, I feel like I can focus better. I may just try a few places and see how it goes. Just breaks my heart leaving my LDS church.

Our Baptist brethren have several things to recommend them. They take the Bible very seriously they think. They’re not nosy. They’re sane enough that you don’t feel dirty attending but crazy enough that you’re not going to drink their kool aid. Also their dinners are usually really good.
Lol round these parts we refer to the Baptist as the "frozen chosen." They have come around since I was a kid though, definitely something to consider, thank you. Baptist do love those Sunday dinners too and those ladies can cook.

One of my favorite memories was at a Baptist Sunday dinner when I was teenager. The ladies would spend hours cooking in the kitchen just to feed us (the kids, teenagers and men) then they would serve us the food and spend hours more cleaning up afterwards. I started helping them clean because it bothered me that they had to cook and then clean up, I made a comment to my dad about how ungrateful I felt eating the food they made, then sitting around while they spent hours cleaning. So my dad got up and started cleaning with the ladies after the meal was over, then a few other men followed until finally the men, teenagers and kids were cleaning up after most of the dinners. Thought it was such an awesome thing for my dad to start.

Last edited:
Remember you've asked about attending a bible study, not a Sunday morning sermon. I think you'll find that bible study groups at Pentecostal and Baptist and most other churches will be very similar. As others have said, the people involved will make far more difference than the denomination they are associated with. I would strongly advise finding a non-LDS bible study, for theological reasons - you need to be exposed to a different way of looking at things - but other than that find a group with good people who are serious about understanding God's word.

Pray for God's guidance, then visit each of the local churches on a Sunday morning (different one each week), and after the service ask around about bible study groups. Very soon you'll find the group you should be in and will stop hunting.

Great advice:).

FYI: Always welcome to learn, examine and study with us as well when/if you are led to do so.
We are small but continuing to grow spiritually and organizationally and have a rich history of following truth and walking with God.

City of the living God (www.cityofthelivinggod.com)

Prayerfully consider and reach out to us as we are here for the edification of the body of Christ.
If you provide an email address I can send you our Faithlife.com invite to get access to our calendar and service links. Or just reach out to me.

God bless!

Great advice:).

FYI: Always welcome to learn, examine and study with us as well when/if you are led to do so.
We are small but continuing to grow spiritually and organizationally and have a rich history of following truth and walking with God.

City of the living God (www.cityofthelivinggod.com)

Prayerfully consider and reach out to us as we are here for the edification of the body of Christ.
If you provide an email address I can send you our Faithlife.com invite to get access to our calendar and service links. Or just reach out to me.

God bless!
Thank you so much! I'll check it out when I get home from work tonight.

I go to a Torah study not necessarily a service and i love it! It is along the lines of a Messianic church but very casual. As i learn the Torah i find it difficult to go to other churches because i don't hear truth being taught or it is all milk and honey no meat. I like meat!

I go to a Torah study not necessarily a service and i love it! It is along the lines of a Messianic church but very casual. As i learn the Torah i find it difficult to go to other churches because i don't hear truth being taught or it is all milk and honey no meat. I like meat!
Thank you, that's a good idea I may look into it. That was my concern precisely. I don't mind modern day church service, I like worshipping with others, it puts me in a good mood even if our beliefs don't align however I do get frustrated as well with the way churches sugarcoat the Bible. There are many many times I don't like the truth within the Bible but I want to hear it nonetheless.

Thank you, that's a good idea I may look into it. That was my concern precisely. I don't mind modern day church service, I like worshipping with others, it puts me in a good mood even if our beliefs don't align however I do get frustrated as well with the way churches sugarcoat the Bible. There are many many times I don't like the truth within the Bible but I want to hear it nonetheless.
Just keep in mind not all Messianic churches/fellowships are alike they are as varied as Christendom. However i will take Torah over milk and Honey any day of the week. I found a good community here on BibFam. They made me start searching deep!

Just keep in mind not all Messianic churches/fellowships are alike they are as varied as Christendom. However i will take Torah over milk and Honey any day of the week. I found a good community here on BibFam. They made me start searching deep!
Thank you again, I'll try to keep an eye out for that. Also I agree I've learned a lot about the true meaning of the Bible from this forum as well, it's been very eye-opening. Very grateful for that.

@FollowingHim makes a good point that most small group Bible studies will be similar if the people involved take the Bible seriously. They will seek to understand and submit to God's Word. Therefore, the Bible will be the real authority.

I would also suggest that understanding the basic Good News of the Gospel of Jesus Christ is of chief importance. Jesus Christ Himself actually saves people, He doesn't just help them save themselves.

I would suggest asking people questions about "imputed righteousness" and "double imputation". Do they believe that our sin was "imputed to Christ" on the cross? Did He actually pay the penalty for our sin? Did He actually remove the wrath of God? Did His death remove the guilt of our sin?

Equally important, do they believe that Jesus perfect righteousness is imputed or credited to all who belong to Him by faith? When God looks at the people who hope in Jesus, does He see the sins of those people, or does He see the perfect beauty and goodness of Jesus Christ covering them?

If they wholeheartedly and enthusiastically agree with this imputation, that is a very good sign.

If they don't know what you are talking about, then that might be a bad sign.

If they disagree with imputation, then I would stay away.

There are certain "church search" websites that might be helpful. Here is a link to one that you might use. Please keep in mind that these Churches will almost certainly oppose polygamy (and will probably be weak on patriarchy), but will likely explain the basic Good News of the Gospel of Jesus Christ accurately. That is of chief importance.

If there are Baptist, "Bible Church", or "Calvary Chapel", churches in your area, they will probably be good on imputation. Presbyterian Church in America (PCA) should be also.

@FollowingHim makes a good point that most small group Bible studies will be similar if the people involved take the Bible seriously. They will seek to understand and submit to God's Word. Therefore, the Bible will be the real authority.

I would also suggest that understanding the basic Good News of the Gospel of Jesus Christ is of chief importance. Jesus Christ Himself actually saves people, He doesn't just help them save themselves.

I would suggest asking people questions about "imputed righteousness" and "double imputation". Do they believe that our sin was "imputed to Christ" on the cross? Did He actually pay the penalty for our sin? Did He actually remove the wrath of God? Did His death remove the guilt of our sin?

Equally important, do they believe that Jesus perfect righteousness is imputed or credited to all who belong to Him by faith? When God looks at the people who hope in Jesus, does He see the sins of those people, or does He see the perfect beauty and goodness of Jesus Christ covering them?

If they wholeheartedly and enthusiastically agree with this imputation, that is a very good sign.

If they don't know what you are talking about, then that might be a bad sign.

If they disagree with imputation, then I would stay away.

There are certain "church search" websites that might be helpful. Here is a link to one that you might use. Please keep in mind that these Churches will almost certainly oppose polygamy (and will probably be weak on patriarchy), but will likely explain the basic Good News of the Gospel of Jesus Christ accurately. That is of chief importance.

If there are Baptist, "Bible Church", or "Calvary Chapel", churches in your area, they will probably be good on imputation. Presbyterian Church in America (PCA) should be also.
Wow, you're awesome, thank you so much.

Hello Loves Dogs, I used to be a pastor with Bible College(Baptist and Assembly of God) background. I would slightly echo Steves encouragement. Be a follower of God not of religion. I have found many disagreements with folks on BF but on the whole our doctrinal positions are very similar, hence the reason I stick around. One of my main contentions I have with "New Testament" believers is that they dont know the New Testament and even worse is the knowledge of the foundation in the OLD Testament. Here I find true students and deeply knowledgeable scholars. The Mark C's and Kieth M's on here challenge me just about every time. I am barely a sophomore student in my quest to learn. Jack

Hello Loves Dogs, I used to be a pastor with Bible College(Baptist and Assembly of God) background. I would slightly echo Steves encouragement. Be a follower of God not of religion. I have found many disagreements with folks on BF but on the whole our doctrinal positions are very similar, hence the reason I stick around. One of my main contentions I have with "New Testament" believers is that they dont know the New Testament and even worse is the knowledge of the foundation in the OLD Testament. Here I find true students and deeply knowledgeable scholars. The Mark C's and Kieth M's on here challenge me just about every time. I am barely a sophomore student in my quest to learn. Jack
Thank you. I've noticed most modern churches tend to focus primarily on the New Testament only.

Back