• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

What's new about the New Testament?

You are being quite flippant with the claim that I and others are trying to put ourselves in judgment over God Himself.
Any person who declares that some portion of Scripture is of more authority or value than other portions, and he or she decides which portions they are, then yes, that person has put him or herself in judgement over God Himself. God did not breath out (inspire) the writers of His Word, He breathed His word out therefore it must all be of the same authority or value; All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable... (2 Timothy 3:16).

Any person who declares that some portion of Scripture is of more authority or value than other portions, and he or she decides which portions they are, then yes, that person has put him or herself in judgement over God Himself.
Then you sentence any church council that ever removed books, talked about removing them, or ascribed red lettering or bold or italics to any portion of scripture. Are Jesus' words more important than Paul's? Even if they say the same thing, one has higher authority. Can we listen to both? Yes! They are saying the same things. But understanding the source of the authority is not me putting myself in judgement over God.

I'm not deciding this. God Himself said it is different when He speaks to Moses:

And he said, “Hear my words: If there is a prophet among you, I the Lord make myself known to him in a vision; I speak with him in a dream. Not so with my servant Moses. He is faithful in all my house. With him I speak mouth to mouth, clearly, and not in riddles, and he beholds the form of the Lord. Why then were you not afraid to speak against my servant Moses?”
- Numbers 12:6-8
God did not breath out (inspire) the writers of His Word, He breathed His word out therefore it must all be of the same authority or value;
If a person was stranded, alone, without any knowledge or access to the outside world, which passage of scripture would show them more about who God is and how He wishes for them to act: Exodus 20 or Esther 2?
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable... (2 Timothy 3:16).
That passage doesn't speak to authority at all. And that passage is written by Paul. So claiming that Paul is claiming to write scripture on the same level as Torah? Do you really think Paul would agree? I think that you are charging Paul with something rather blasphemous here as well.

Furthermore, Paul wrote this before some other books were written. So are they part of this? If this is God's chosen canon, why did we not get it right till around 500 years ago? Or have the protestants committed this horrible sin you speak of when they removed the deutero-canonical (apocryphal) books?

My "audience" are folks seeking Truth, not just argument for the sake of contention.

Obviously. And I've given a link with all the information that answers EXACTLY those questions -- IFF you are actually sincere, instead of just...whatever it looks like. (The rest of that witty rejoinder above didn't even make SENSE...)

Did you even bother to look up a single one of the five-plus references I already gave you, before asking for more you won't read?

"Simpletons," after all, do get hung up on verses they don't understand taken out of context.
Here’s my problem with investing time in all of the resources you’ve provided; you still haven’t taken a stance. You haven’t articulated what it is you’re defending and what it is you’re opposing. You’ve just sort of rushed in and started flailing around with a big stick.

The impression you give is that it axiomatic that you are a great authority and that I should be eager to try and earn your approval by traveling to the mountain to achieve theological enlightenment through studying your words.

But I don’t know if you are a great authority because I’ve never actually seen you take a hard stance. I’ve only ever seen you be sarcastic and dismissive and derisive. You attack but you never defend. You snipe but you never defend.

What exactly is it that you’re trying to prove here? Until you state what you’re trying to prove your proofs don’t prove much.

Then you sentence any church council that ever removed books, talked about removing them, or ascribed red lettering or bold or italics to any portion of scripture. Are Jesus' words more important than Paul's? Even if they say the same thing, one has higher authority. Can we listen to both? Yes! They are saying the same things. But understanding the source of the authority is not me putting myself in judgement over God.

I'm not deciding this. God Himself said it is different when He speaks to Moses:

And he said, “Hear my words: If there is a prophet among you, I the Lord make myself known to him in a vision; I speak with him in a dream. Not so with my servant Moses. He is faithful in all my house. With him I speak mouth to mouth, clearly, and not in riddles, and he beholds the form of the Lord. Why then were you not afraid to speak against my servant Moses?”
- Numbers 12:6-8

If a person was stranded, alone, without any knowledge or access to the outside world, which passage of scripture would show them more about who God is and how He wishes for them to act: Exodus 20 or Esther 2?

That passage doesn't speak to authority at all. And that passage is written by Paul. So claiming that Paul is claiming to write scripture on the same level as Torah? Do you really think Paul would agree? I think that you are charging Paul with something rather blasphemous here as well.

Furthermore, Paul wrote this before some other books were written. So are they part of this? If this is God's chosen canon, why did we not get it right till around 500 years ago? Or have the protestants committed this horrible sin you speak of when they removed the deutero-canonical (apocryphal) books?
What you seem to refuse to realize is that the men who reported Jesus’ Words to us are the same men who wrote vast swaths of the New Testament. If they were not faithful scribes in Acts how were they faithful scribes in Luke?

Mathew, Mark and John were present for the events laid out in Acts 15. Why didn’t they speak out? If they accepted the claims of Paul, as Peter did, as being inspired teachings from God when they weren’t, then how can we trust what they say about Jesus?

Jesus’s Words can’t have a higher credibility then the authors and processes that brought them to us. Because if we can’t trust the authors and processes, then how do we even know that they are Jesus’ Words?

Jesus made some insane claims. Be honest, He said some crazy ass shit. That we can speak to mountains and they’ll move, that He’s God but also God’s Son, two thousand years ago He said that the Kingdom of God is at hand, two thousand years ago!

As soon as we question the vehicle by which Christ’s ministry was transmitted to us we have to start questioning Christ’s ministry.

That’s the slippery slope. When you claim that the New Testament was compiled and edited by councils and committees hundreds of years after the fact, when you claim portions of the New Testament that are identified as scripture in other portions of the New Testament, then you are chipping away at our knowledge of Jesus and the foundation for our faith.

We have nothing if we lose the New Testament. We don’t have Jesus. We don’t have remissions of sins and we don’t have salvation.

I'm not deciding this.
Yes you are! The very things you write here show you have determined Moses wrote the inspired Word on a higher level of authority than Paul wrote the inspired Word.
I think that you are charging Paul with something rather blasphemous here as well.
What you think is of little concern but when you teach that there are varying levels of authority in Scripture you have made yourself a judge over God Himself. That is blasphemous and must be challenged.

What you seem to refuse to realize
I love how you phrase this as if this is the big nail in the coffin that you've hammered down multiple times and I "refuse to realize". Well, let's see what this big realization is:
is that the men who reported Jesus’ Words to us are the same men who wrote vast swaths of the New Testament.
Yes, believe it or not, I "realize" that.
If they were not faithful scribes in Acts how were they faithful scribes in Luke?
They be faithful scribes in both, doesn't give them authority equal to God Himself.
Mathew, Mark and John were present for the events laid out in Acts 15. Why didn’t they speak out? If they accepted the claims of Paul, as Peter did, as being inspired teachings from God when they weren’t, then how can we trust what they say about Jesus?
Again, you're off in a different argument. They can be as inspired as you wish to believe them to be. Doesn't make a difference. They. Are not. God.
Jesus’s Words can’t have a higher credibility then the authors and processes that brought them to us.
Because if we can’t trust the authors and processes, then how do we even know that they are Jesus’ Words?

Jesus made some insane claims. Be honest, He said some crazy ass shit. That we can speak to mountains and they’ll move, that He’s God but also God’s Son, two thousand years ago He said that the Kingdom of God is at hand, two thousand years ago!

As soon as we question the vehicle by which Christ’s ministry was transmitted to us we have to start questioning Christ’s ministry.

That’s the slippery slope. When you claim that the New Testament was compiled and edited by councils and committees hundreds of years after the fact, when you claim portions of the New Testament that are identified as scripture in other portions of the New Testament, then you are chipping away at our knowledge of Jesus and the foundation for our faith.
You're off on a tangent here. Hate to break it to you, but the historical proof of the gospels existence, and the acceptance by the apostles is as much evidence as is required to prove the legitimacy of the gospels as historical documents and to trust them to be real.

The death and subsequent clearly not being dead of Jesus is also recorded in place other than the gospels. Combine this with the writings of the prophets, you have pretty substantial proof to believe in a Messiah without having to transfer God-like authority to his sent out messengers.
We have nothing if we lose the New Testament. We don’t have Jesus. We don’t have remissions of sins and we don’t have salvation.
We very clearly do, as salvation is a major theme throughout all of God's Torah. Again though, I have no issue with the New Testament as historical documents OR blessed writings.

But we judge prophecy to Torah. We judge wisdom to Torah. We watch our actions through Torah. We look for the decisions of the elders to line up to Torah. Everything rests upon the foundation. If you judge all of these things to a standard, that standard is by definition the authority in the matter.

Yes you are! The very things you write here show you have determined Moses wrote the inspired Word on a higher level of authority than Paul wrote the inspired Word.
No, God determined that when He literally said so. Numbers 12:6-8 is a good example of that, I posted it earlier.
What you think is of little concern
You're right, compared to God I an nothing, and Paul is nothing too, and Peter, James, John, You, Zec, actually everyone! It's almost like there's a higher authority...
but when you teach that there are varying levels of authority in Scripture you have made yourself a judge over God Himself. That is blasphemous and must be challenged.
Ol' reliable again I see. Don't answer any of my own questions. In fact, don't think! That could be dangerous. Gotta hold that protestant line.

We could call each other blasphemers till the forum shuts thread down, or you could start making some actual points and maybe (just maybe) actually read someone else's (but why would you do that, what other people think apparently doesn't matter).

Again, you're off in a different argument. They can be as inspired as you wish to believe them to be. Doesn't make a difference. They. Are not. God.
Neither. Is. Torah.

The Torah was written by man, relating to us the Words of God. It was compiled and transmitted in the exact same way. Whatever the New Testament is or isn’t is exactly what the Torah is or isn’t.

Moses isn’t more trustworthy than Paul. God spoke through them both to deliver to us the messages He wanted us to have. We need both.

@StudentofHim,
I think you are seriously mistaken with your proposal that the Torah/Pentateuch is the foundation or standard by which all else is measured.

I think that foundation or standard is rather to be found in Yahweh Himself, specifically in the Word become flesh, God the Son.

The way Christ taught the Torah was shocking. He didn't seem to teach that the Torah was the foundation or the standard.

Instead, He showed up and claimed to be "The Standard". He comes on the scene and basically says "I AM THE I AM who gave the Torah to Moses".

He says that He didn't come to abolish the Law or the Prophets, but rather fulfill them. At the same time, He makes it clear that He Himself is going to define what fulfilling them means, thus showing Himself as the Standard rather than the Torah.

In the Sermon on the Mount, Christ said "You have heard it said...(quotes things from the Torah)... but I say to you...".

In Matthew 12:8 Christ stated that "the Son of Man is lord of the Sabbath". He's not just claiming to properly understand or teach the fourth Commandment, He is claiming to own it, and place Himself above it.

That's shocking, He just claimed the authority of Yahweh.

🤯🤯🤯🤯 WHAT!?!?!

The Jewish leaders knew that was what He was saying. They refused to believe Him, and crucified Him for it.

A few days later, Christ conquered death, and rose from the.grave. He was thereby vindicated by God the Father as "THE STANDARD".

That is a big part of what makes the New Testament "New".

The Torah.and the Prophets promised, and pointed to the coming Savior. The Gospels tell of His coming, give us His teaching, and display His saving Work. The Epistles help explain what it all means and what the implications are.

All of it was breathed out by the Spirit of God, and is authoritative.

. Combine this with the writings of the prophets, you have pretty substantial proof to believe in a Messiah without having to transfer God-like authority to his sent out messengers.
Do you assign God-like authority to His Messenger Moses? You understand that every standard you apply to the New Testament has to be applied to the Old Testsment.

Neither. Is. Torah.

The Torah was written by man, relating to us the Words of God. It was compiled and transmitted in the exact same way. Whatever the New Testament is or isn’t is exactly what the Torah is or isn’t.

Moses isn’t more trustworthy than Paul. God spoke through them both to deliver to us the messages He wanted us to have. We need both.
That latter portion of Deuteronomy 18 deals with the unique nature of Moses' ministry. I'd ask you to refer to it in whatever translation you'd prefer. I would type it out here, but I would like to save time while responding to this mini-coalition.

And Moses received the Torah through God directly speaking to him "mouth to mouth". Paul's wisdom is good, and Torah-based. And the writing we do have confirm him a sent one of God (the miracles performed through and around him being chief evidences).

I think one of the core issues here does deserve some real clarification:

God's Words are perfect and true regardless of who they are spoken through.

That is totally true, but God Himself explained there in those passages that though He does speak to many, He spoke to Moses (and later Jesus) MORE CLEARLY and I think that implies some things:

That the recipient has less ability to get it wrong is a big one. That those words are more important is another.

It is simply MORE important to know God's definition of morality (what does God require of you?) than say His plans to judge Babylon or how wearing "spiritual armor" defends us against the demonic realm.
@StudentofHim,
I think you are seriously mistaken with your proposal that the Torah/Pentateuch is the foundation or standard by which all else is measured.

I think that foundation or standard is rather to be found in Yahweh Himself, specifically in the Word become flesh, God the Son.

The way Christ taught the Torah was shocking. He didn't seem to teach that the Torah was the foundation or the standard.

Instead, He showed up and claimed to be "The Standard". He comes on the scene and basically says "I AM THE I AM who gave the Torah to Moses".

He says that He didn't come to abolish the Law or the Prophets, but rather fulfill them. At the same time, He makes it clear that He Himself is going to define what fulfilling them means, thus showing Himself as the Standard rather than the Torah.

In the Sermon on the Mount, Christ said "You have heard it said...(quotes things from the Torah)... but I say to you...".

In Matthew 12:8 Christ stated that "the Son of Man is lord of the Sabbath". He's not just claiming to properly understand or teach the fourth Commandment, He is claiming to own it, and place Himself above it.

That's shocking, He just claimed the authority of Yahweh.

🤯🤯🤯🤯 WHAT!?!?!

The Jewish leaders knew that was what He was saying. They refused to believe Him, and crucified Him for it.

A few days later, Christ conquered death, and rose from the.grave. He was thereby vindicated by God the Father as "THE STANDARD".

That is a big part of what makes the New Testament "New".

The Torah.and the Prophets promised, and pointed to the coming Savior. The Gospels tell of His coming, give us His teaching, and display His saving Work. The Epistles help explain what it all means and what the implications are.

All of it was breathed out by the Spirit of God, and is authoritative.
Jesus' words are the very words of God, and are perfectly in line with Torah and equal in authority.

The Torah contains revelation on every major subject in the Bible.

It's got the commandments of course, but also Messianic and end-times prophecies (plus dozens of other things).

Everything else has a line back to Torah. The prophets, the writings, and the NT all extensively quote Torah - especially Deuteronomy.

The only argument I see is that the clear revelation on how we are saved by Jesus was "hidden" as a "mystery" in the OT. That is true.

And of course Jesus taught Torah better than anyone ever had - but it wasn't new information. The jews had just got it wrong through years of placing the writings of men on the same level as Torah.
Do you assign God-like authority to His Messenger Moses? You understand that every standard you apply to the New Testament has to be applied to the Old Testsment.
I acknowledge Moses-like authority to Moses and to Jesus. Because that is what God assigned (latter portion of Deuteronomy 18).
That passage says nothing about the Torah relative to any other scripture. It asserts the authority of Moses, which is not in dispute by anyone, but it has nothing to say about that authority relative to any other writer.
Alright, you got me. It doesn't specifically say "Moses has more authority than Paul". But, it it does in fact say quite clearly, that the way things are revealed to Moses (and later on to Jesus) are different than the way God speaks to other people.

I believe this deserves re-stating: I believe Paul to be scripture. I don't believe Paul disagrees with The Torah (whether The Written Torah or The Torah Made flesh, They are one and the same). I am not "assigning" any kind of authority structure to get rid of Paul (neither am I assigning anything, rather I am acknowledging, but I understand that as long as we disagree on the topic, we would disagree on that terminology).

"Moses-like authority to Moses and to Jesus"

I'd be careful about comparing the prophet Moses with The Prophet Jesus Christ.

Moses is like Christ as a prophet kinda like David is a great king, and Christ the Great King. Melchizedek is a priest of God, and Christ is The Priest of God. .

Melchizedek, Moses, and David all point to the coming Priest, Prophet, and King. The book of Hebrews (and the voice from Heaven on the mount of transfiguration) make it very clear that the Son outshines them all, and is worthy of infinitely more honor.

"Moses-like authority to Moses and to Jesus"

I'd be careful about comparing the prophet Moses with The Prophet Jesus Christ.

Moses is like Christ as a prophet kinda like David is a great king, and Christ the Great King. Melchizedek is a priest of God, and Christ is The Priest of God. .

Melchizedek, Moses, and David all point to the coming Priest, Prophet, and King. The book of Hebrews (and the voice from Heaven on the mount of transfiguration) make it very clear that the Son outshines them all, and is worthy of infinitely more honor.
God Himself describes Jesus as "a prophet like you" to Moses. I stand by the comparison God made. But that comparison doesn't equal the two being equals. It simply points out that they were both special in their authority and closeness of communication with God.

That latter portion of Deuteronomy 18 deals with the unique nature of Moses' ministry. I'd ask you to refer to it in whatever translation you'd prefer. I would type it out here, but I would like to save time while responding to this mini-coalition.

And Moses received the Torah through God directly speaking to him "mouth to mouth". Paul's wisdom is good, and Torah-based. And the writing we do have confirm him a sent one of God (the miracles performed through and around him being chief evidences).

I think one of the core issues here does deserve some real clarification:

God's Words are perfect and true regardless of who they are spoken through.

That is totally true, but God Himself explained there in those passages that though He does speak to many, He spoke to Moses (and later Jesus) MORE CLEARLY and I think that implies some things:

That the recipient has less ability to get it wrong is a big one. That those words are more important is another.

It is simply MORE important to know God's definition of morality (what does God require of you?) than say His plans to judge Babylon or how wearing "spiritual armor" defends us against the demonic realm.

Jesus' words are the very words of God, and are perfectly in line with Torah and equal in authority.

The Torah contains revelation on every major subject in the Bible.

It's got the commandments of course, but also Messianic and end-times prophecies (plus dozens of other things).

Everything else has a line back to Torah. The prophets, the writings, and the NT all extensively quote Torah - especially Deuteronomy.

The only argument I see is that the clear revelation on how we are saved by Jesus was "hidden" as a "mystery" in the OT. That is true.

And of course Jesus taught Torah better than anyone ever had - but it wasn't new information. The jews had just got it wrong through years of placing the writings of men on the same level as Torah.

I acknowledge Moses-like authority to Moses and to Jesus. Because that is what God assigned (latter portion of Deuteronomy 18).

Alright, you got me. It doesn't specifically say "Moses has more authority than Paul". But, it it does in fact say quite clearly, that the way things are revealed to Moses (and later on to Jesus) are different than the way God speaks to other people.

I believe this deserves re-stating: I believe Paul to be scripture. I don't believe Paul disagrees with The Torah (whether The Written Torah or The Torah Made flesh, They are one and the same). I am not "assigning" any kind of authority structure to get rid of Paul (neither am I assigning anything, rather I am acknowledging, but I understand that as long as we disagree on the topic, we would disagree on that terminology).
What do you mean when you say God spoke to Jesus? This is a strange formulation.

You're right, it is a strange formulation. The technical aspects of the Trinity are strange in general (at least to me). Perhaps spoke was the wrong term in that instance... communicated?
So the suspicious minded would question whether or not after having minimized the New Testament you are now minimizing Christ’s admittedly complex oneness with the Father.

So the suspicious minded would question whether or not after having minimized the New Testament you are now minimizing Christ’s admittedly complex oneness with the Father.
Yeah well at this point I think that's it is more just my poor wording than any major disagreement (in terms of the Triune God's oneness). Jesus while he functioned as a man certainly was in communion and spoke and prayed with and to... Himself, well, The Father. But certainly God is never portrayed as some type of schizophrenic diety.

The Father and The Son are one God. That I say with certainty. The intricacies of the Trinity are harder to nail down for me without falling down some line of heresy (when trying to describe it). There are certainly people out there who can explain it much better than I.

Deuteronomy 18:18-19 KJV
[18] I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him. [19] And it shall come to pass, that whosoever will not hearken unto my words which he shall speak in my name, I will require it of him.

Matthew 11:13-15 KJV
[13] For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John. [14] And if ye will receive it, this is Elias, which was for to come. [15] He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.

God prophesied about Messiah through Moses.

Matthew 17:1-3 KJV
[1] And after six days Jesus taketh Peter, James, and John his brother, and bringeth them up into an high mountain apart, [2] And was transfigured before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light. [3] And, behold, there appeared unto them Moses and Elias talking with him.

Messiah reveals himself as the culmination of the law and the prophets as The One they were pointing to.

Hebrews 3:1-6 KJV
[1] Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus; [2] Who was faithful to him that appointed him, as also Moses was faithful in all his house. [3] For this man was counted worthy of more glory than Moses, inasmuch as he who hath builded the house hath more honour than the house. [4] For every house is builded by some man ; but he that built all things is God. [5] And Moses verily was faithful in all his house, as a servant, for a testimony of those things which were to be spoken after; [6] But Christ as a son over his own house; whose house are we, if we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm unto the end.

Jesus the Messiah is greater than Moses.

Deuteronomy 18:18-19 KJV
[18] I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him. [19] And it shall come to pass, that whosoever will not hearken unto my words which he shall speak in my name, I will require it of him.

Matthew 11:13-15 KJV
[13] For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John. [14] And if ye will receive it, this is Elias, which was for to come. [15] He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.

God prophesied about Messiah through Moses.

Matthew 17:1-3 KJV
[1] And after six days Jesus taketh Peter, James, and John his brother, and bringeth them up into an high mountain apart, [2] And was transfigured before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light. [3] And, behold, there appeared unto them Moses and Elias talking with him.

Messiah reveals himself as the culmination of the law and the prophets as The One they were pointing to.

Hebrews 3:1-6 KJV
[1] Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus; [2] Who was faithful to him that appointed him, as also Moses was faithful in all his house. [3] For this man was counted worthy of more glory than Moses, inasmuch as he who hath builded the house hath more honour than the house. [4] For every house is builded by some man ; but he that built all things is God. [5] And Moses verily was faithful in all his house, as a servant, for a testimony of those things which were to be spoken after; [6] But Christ as a son over his own house; whose house are we, if we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm unto the end.

Jesus the Messiah is greater than Moses.
I agree.
Jesus is a Prophet like Moses and a Priest like Melchizedek and a King like David (as all those prophecies state). Jesus outshines them all, both individually and all put together. They were the top tier of their areas and Jesus is infinitely superior. I apologize if my confusing wording called that into question.

Edit: typo

Back