• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

What's with the open minded claims?

Polygamy needs an open mind?
Yes
A practice older than modern humanity and certainly older than any culture we can potentially find the remains of when we start digging. The most progenic form of marriage on the planet requires an "open mind"? Truly?
Yes, anything that bucks the societal norms requires the ability to think critically and be willing to go against the flow. To be willing to consider new ideas is required of someone who is considering new ideas.

I get what your point is, but the simple fact is "most" people are close minded. They consume the mainstream pablum, and their minds are filled with the dross of MSM and the public education system. It's a good thing to be willing to consider new ideas which is the definition of "open minded".

I get what your point is, but the simple fact is "most" people are close minded.

Most people use their opinions to choose their facts.

Wise people seek the facts and form their opinions after doing so.

Old saying: Most people's minds are like concrete, all mixed up and permanently set!

Yes

Yes, anything that bucks the societal norms requires the ability to think critically and be willing to go against the flow. To be willing to consider new ideas is required of someone who is considering new ideas.

*hand waggle
I am going to agree with the need to think critically is directly tied to the ability to push back against norms and to go against the grain but I don't necessarily agree that this is being open minded...as such.
I get what your point is, but the simple fact is "most" people are close minded. They consume the mainstream pablum, and their minds are filled with the dross of MSM and the public education system. It's a good thing to be willing to consider new ideas which is the definition of "open minded".
Now is where we can get into the meat of where I am diverging from your view.
I would say that more are empty headed...the proverbial NPC meme. Just regurgitating what they have been told via cultural inculcation. alex-jones-tin-foil-hat.gif
But first...gotta get myself in the right frame of mind

So, I sm just going to truncate open mindedness down to the personality trait openness. One of the big five in the five factor personality analysis model.
The openness is great on some levels in that you more apt to be more open to unfamiliar ideas or experiences but by the same token, you end up more easily manipulated by those who take advantage of the high openness set to accept alien ideas or circumstances which might be counter productive....especially those who are high in agreeability.

The way that I see open(mindedness) is that it (along with high agreeability) are traits that are targeted Coooooonstantly by grifters, huckers and flim-flammers...frequently just plain old con artists but more often groups who are pushing maladaptive interests into the public consciousness. Convincing the more open that if they are not adhering to the new cultural norms as established by degenerates doing the virtuous victim signaling set, then they are in fact the bad guys. As opposed to being the victims of what the more cynical see as transparent blather.

So, you can imagine why, given my view about how open mindedness is so often a pathway to being manipulated by dark triad types for their own advantage, that I don't like that people see polygamy as one of the degenerate notions that they can be open to...as opposed to perfectly normal and common practice for the vast majority of human history.

Obviously it is a context thing but if you read a bunch of the ads, it seems to be in the context of "Hi! I am openminded...my mind is open to polygamy" which says that they are also communicating that they are open to all of the norms that ha e shifted in our lifetime as well as the ones in progress and those to come.
I just don't like being included in that no doubt delightful category.

Make sense?

I see open minded as some type of code word for willingness to try certain things, primarily sexually. Newsflash. I’m not really getting any more since we went poly and 99 percent of the day is filled with the same mundane things. My old body can’t take any more anyways. If anything I am working harder now taking care of two than I ever was before. If all you’re thinking about is all the extra sex you’ll be getting you’re better off sparing yourself the trouble and just having more sex in your manogamous marriage. Come over to my house and just watch us working, watching TV, eating, talking, arguing and other mundane $hit everyone else is doing.

If all you’re thinking about is....
That is precisely why it's sooo stupid that people think that is what this is about!

A fling? maybe. Marriage and commitment? NEVER!

It's about love, family, support, and a place to belong for the woman that didn't have that.
About duty too for those who understand what He meant by "caring for the widows and fatherless."

*hand waggle
I am going to agree with the need to think critically is directly tied to the ability to push back against norms and to go against the grain but I don't necessarily agree that this is being open minded...as such.
Understood, I'm using the dictionary definition so our perspectives differ slightly.
Now is where we can get into the meat of where I am diverging from your view.
I would say that more are empty headed...the proverbial NPC meme. Just regurgitating what they have been told via cultural inculcation.
I must have not communicated well, I believe that precisely, vapid, formless thoughts, without the ability to critically assess any perspective put before them. Consuming the MSM pablum without a second glance.
So, I sm just going to truncate open mindedness down to the personality trait openness. One of the big five in the five factor personality analysis model.
The openness is great on some levels in that you more apt to be more open to unfamiliar ideas or experiences but by the same token, you end up more easily manipulated by those who take advantage of the high openness set to accept alien ideas or circumstances which might be counter productive....especially those who are high in agreeability.
I think we just perceive open people differently. I know several who are open but critical thinkers, who are decidedly not highly agreeable. At first glance one might think so but snap judgements often lead to a skewed perspective based on statistics alone.
The way that I see open(mindedness) is that it (along with high agreeability) are traits that are targeted Coooooonstantly by grifters, huckers and flim-flammers...frequently just plain old con artists but more often groups who are pushing maladaptive interests into the public consciousness. Convincing the more open that if they are not adhering to the new cultural norms as established by degenerates doing the virtuous victim signaling set, then they are in fact the bad guys. As opposed to being the victims of what the more cynical see as transparent blather.
This is where our differing definitions diverge drastically.
So, you can imagine why, given my view about how open mindedness is so often a pathway to being manipulated by dark triad types for their own advantage, that I don't like that people see polygamy as one of the degenerate notions that they can be open to...as opposed to perfectly normal and common practice for the vast majority of human history.
I don't assume the "open minded" people perceive polygyny as degenerate. That's assuming motive and perspectives of a person who has not conveyed what their beliefs are. They by saying they are open minded are conveying they don't have a judgement on the matter yet. It's the polar opposite of holding the belief that the actions are degenerate. It may be more useful to not assume those people think you're degenerate before hearing them out. They may indeed lean towards the understanding that it's a degenerate ideology based solely on the perceived consensus of those in society at large. However the mere statement that they are open minded about it is proof positive they are at least willing to hear you out. My experience is that adopting a more gentle and confident attitude will convert the "open minded" to "positive and encouraging" of your belief system.
Obviously it is a context thing but if you read a bunch of the ads, it seems to be in the context of "Hi! I am openminded...my mind is open to polygamy" which says that they are also communicating that they are open to all of the norms that ha e shifted in our lifetime as well as the ones in progress and those to come.
Of course, that's what it means to be willing to engage in critical thoughts. Entertain the idea, and either adopt or discard. Assuming that one is open to all degeneracy simply because that person is open to the ideas you hold smells of projection and prior wounds. Sorry if this is getting too pointed and digging too deep.

I just don't like being included in that no doubt delightful category.

Make sense?
Makes sense and I agree, I don't want to be included in a broad swathe of degenerate ideologies. But the only way to rise above those is to not get defensive, but illustrate the beauty and merit inherent in the lifestyle we promote.

… I totally wanted to meet some polygamists and thought it would be "cool" or "interesting" to have some polygamist friends.
Somewhat similarly, when I lived in CO years back, I worked at the library and there were women who would visit that I realize now were very likely polygamists. I never asked or brought it up but I found them to be interesting. They seemed very serious and wouldn’t talk to anyone at the library but I always held a friendly greeting regardless of scowls. Over time, I was someone that they ended being okay around.

Back