• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

When bringing up the subject of PM, what's the first verse you would use?

@EternalDreamer Yes, the main website has a really good list of objections and scripture verses like @FollowingHim said. It’s really quite amazing! Great resource! I should have mentioned I sent that link out with the email I sent my friend too.

Rock fox, where in Isaiah would I find the scripture to a return to PM?

Isaiah 4:1 In that day seven women will take hold of one man and say, “We will eat our own food and provide our own clothes; only let us be called by your name. Take away our disgrace!

Read the chapter or two before to get the whole context. And really, the whole book of Isaiah could have been written to us today. It is erie.

My understanding is that nothing new as far as commands is given in the New Testament. Most anything that is worded as a command has a moral connection based in Torah. So it’s mostly a rewording or clarification...

It's hard to prove a negaitve. I can't convince you something isn't true but I would want to see such a big idea be positively laid out in scripture.

Maybe this?

1 John 3:4
[4] Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

Deuteronomy 4:2
[2] Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the Lord your God which I command you.

We know that Jesus did not sin...

Maybe this?

1 John 3:4
[4] Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

Deuteronomy 4:2
[2] Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the Lord your God which I command you.

We know that Jesus did not sin...
I'm going to text you later because I don't remember this and need a reminder.

I'm going to text you later because I don't remember this and need a reminder.

Yeah I sort of hacked apart both your comment and mine so if I’m misrepresenting you I apologize...

Christians sometimes say God created Adam & Eve and it was "the ideal"

The creation story is teaching patriarchy not monogamy. Seeing "monogamy only" there is simply confirmation bias. It is clear from the story that the point of it was patriarchy (Adam created first, Eve created from Adam's rib, sin came through the world via Adam not Eve, even though Eve sinned first, ETC.). Both monogamy and polygamy can fit patriarchy so they fit the creation story which is why none of the ancients had a problem with it, including the guy that wrote the story. If you have a monogamous relationship, with the woman in charge your relationship does NOT fit the creation story.

If you have a monogamous relationship, with the woman in charge your relationship does NOT fit the creation story.

Nor does it if it's an 'equal partnership'.

Though it might if the wife has another men as her spiritual leader instead of you... but that's not the kind of fit I think most have in mind.

It’s kind of amusing and sad that the people who would claim that the original marriage was the ideal generally have no problem with women choosing to be single and not under headship.

And I think it's kinda funny, I think it's kinda sad....

When people run in circles it's a very, very...
...rare modern pop song that I actually do know (via piano cover).

Anyway, to the original question: Ezekiel 16 -- go big or go home.

But seriously, probably want to test the water first with topics like differing gender roles, or the definition of adultery. I think I mentioned on here some time last year that I emailed my pastor to point out that he used the wrong definition of adultery, at least according to the OT. He researched the Hebrew word and admitted I was right, and he suggested 2 or 3 possible reasons for that difference, one of which was the reality of polygamy in the OT. I agreed that he made a good point (and I somehow mentioned Ezekiel 16 in passing) but it didn't really go anywhere, and I didn't press it any further. A short time later, preaching through Galatians, in the section on Hagar, he reminded everyone that Abraham's marrying Hagar was sinful.

Absolutely not! That could be an anthem for homeschooling! ;)

When people run in circles it's a very, very...
...rare modern pop song that I actually do know (via piano cover).

Anyway, to the original question: Ezekiel 16 -- go big or go home.

But seriously, probably want to test the water first with topics like differing gender roles, or the definition of adultery. I think I mentioned on here some time last year that I emailed my pastor to point out that he used the wrong definition of adultery, at least according to the OT. He researched the Hebrew word and admitted I was right, and he suggested 2 or 3 possible reasons for that difference, one of which was the reality of polygamy in the OT. I agreed that he made a good point (and I somehow mentioned Ezekiel 16 in passing) but it didn't really go anywhere, and I didn't press it any further. A short time later, preaching through Galatians, in the section on Hagar, he reminded everyone that Abraham's marrying Hagar was sinful.
Oh man! I want his email address!

I ask them to provide a verse against polygamy and then I explain each verse word for word to them because those verses contain pro-polygamy statements or at least the verses state the opposite of what the one who gave them to use in their argument claimed they stated. If someone is really itching for a fight then begin with, "Are you an American?" For most here the answer they'd get would be "Yes." "So you believe that a person is guilty until proven innocent?" "Uh, you mean innocent until proven guilty." "So you believe that someone is innocent until proven guilty? You've got to be kidding. A polygamist is innocent until proven guilty? What law have they broken?" "The law of the land." "Wait, you're a Christian, right? I just want to make sure." "Yes, you know I am." "That's not what the Bible says, the Bible says you are not worshiping Jesus." Hand your Bible to them with the page opened and have THEM read it. They are cult members. You must have the cult member read the verse from the Bible out loud. "Matthew 15:9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men." "That's your law of the land for you. You want me to follow the commandments of men? Sorry, but I do not want that sign hanging around my neck. 'He worshiped Me in vain." These people are in bondage, bondage to the world. They are in a cult. We must approach it the same way which means getting that Bible in their hands and having them read it. Believe me, they're so unused to this approach that it works and sadly, what happens, is they never talk again about it, or they make statements against the Bible, or they might, start to listen.

Back