• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

When God's Blessing Looks Like Loss

CecilW

Real Person
Male
An objection is raised:

A man, after careful self-examination, concludes that the reason God has illuminated the Biblical truth about marriage & PM to himself, rather than to his neighbor, is because God wants him to DO something with the knowledge. Presumably practice what he has learned. This feels / sounds / looks like a “calling”.

His wife disagrees and decrees that he will abandon his studies, repudiate his convictions, and confess that his interest in the topic had nothing to do with God, but merely an urge to justify going after some “strange”.

She further decrees that if he refuses and proceeds, he will lose everything. She’ll leave him, take the kids, deny visitation, demand child support, brand him a heretic and a dead-beat dad, and make him miserable in every way she can think up.

NO! This is NOT accurately autobiographical, nor specific to anyone I know. It is a theoretical for purposes of discussion!​
He does proceed, and she makes good on her word.

But … but … but … Isn’t the Lord supposed to BLESS those who follow Him? Doesn’t Jesus specifically promise in Matthew 19:29, “Everyone that has forsaken … wife, or children, … for my name's sake, shall receive a hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life.”? Whassup?

This happens.

My own experience has been a somewhat less extreme form of this. My wife did leave, but without the unbridled hostility portrayed above.

Yet, my family looks at my life and counts losses left and right. They are frequently thrown up into my face as a general practical objection to PM, when all appeals to mythical or misappropriated Scripture have been shot full of holes. (I do favor 00 buckshot over rocksalt. :lol: )

I, on the contrary, see blessings galore.

[highlight=#ffff00]Who is right? Is the objection valid? What does God’s blessing really look like? Is it present when others are counting your losses?[/highlight]

I am reminded of the apostle Paul. What was his situation before the meeting on the road?

• He was a young member of the Sanhedrin, a high honor.
  • Membership required marriage, so presumably he was married.
  • He was a student of Gamaliel, the most highly regarded scholar of Judaism in his day.
  • He had a certain respect, even fear, in society.
  • He was financially secure enough to be able to take off on Sanhedrin errands, such as persecuting Christians around the countryside.
  • He was on just such a mission at the moment, presumably with a retinue of some sort.
Then he encountered Jesus, and everything changed! Later, he reported it (2 Corinthians 11:24-28) like this:

• From the Jews five times I received forty lashes minus 1.
  • Three times I was beaten with rods;
  • Once I was stoned. (Implies he died, but was raised back to life. see vs 23. May have happened more than once!)
  • Three times I was shipwrecked;
  • A night and a day I have been in the deep;
  • In journeys often,
  • In perils of waters,
  • In perils of robbers,
  • In perils of my own countrymen,
  • In perils of the Gentiles,
  • In perils in the city,
  • In perils in the wilderness,
  • In perils in the sea,
  • In perils among false brethren;
  • In weariness and toil,
  • In sleeplessness often,
  • In hunger and thirst,
  • In fastings often
  • In cold and nakedness –
  • Besides other things, what comes upon me daily: my deep concern for all the churches.
And yet, Paul counted himself blessed.

• How many saved, brought to a knowledge of God, and filled with the Holy Spirit?
  • How many churches both planted and nurtured?
  • What revelation from God? (It appears that what Jesus said the disciples weren’t yet ready to bear before His ascension was later revealed the Paul.)
  • What a lifetime of experiences?
  • What opportunities to defend his belief before royalty, both in Judea and in Rome?
  • Finally, 2000 years later, we still study and ponder his writings, and our lives are changed thereby.

Me? I can’t claim either such levels of persecution, nor such dramatic results. But …

• My relationship with God has gone from a self-satisfied church member sitting on a pew, to a Son of God, Sitting on the Father’s Lap, and an earnest student.
  • I’ve made so many, many truly high quality friends all over the country, both in and out of the PM movement.
  • I’ve been exposed to many workings of God not visible within the insulated fold of my particular denomination.
  • Before, I wrote and it was heard by my journal and stored on a shelf, or at best perhaps by my local congregation of perhaps 65. Now, I write for a worldwide audience.
  • Oh yes, I did receive an additional wife, and 4 children + grandchildren … The story’s not over, but I’m not really holding God to the hundredfold wives thang! :lol:

So I will close this post by offering my own conclusion, with Paul, that I have in fact GAINED by following God’s leading, regardless of what has fallen away.

We been BLESSED.

The argument against is invalid!

Your optimism is inspirational Cecil. God's way is narrow and difficult, yet we will be blessed also. How do we rationalise this apparant contradition? Quite simply actually.

Jesus told us what blessings we can expect, in the beatitudes. Most people just read them as something warm and fuzy, but don't really read them carefully. How many of his blessings are actually physical things we receive today?

Matthew 5:2-12 states:
2 Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
That's a reward we get sometime in the future, it doesn't change our lives now.
4 “Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.
They don't have whatever they are mourning fixed - they are just "comforted". The problem is still there, but God helps them to deal with it.
5 “Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.
Again, something we get in the future, not now.
6 “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.
Satisfied with what? Righteousness, that's what they are thirsty for. If you earnestly seek to become righteous you will become that. Does that help you today? It might actually get you more persecution...
7 “Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.
That one could help you today, if it refers to people - but if it refers to God, we will receive His mercy at the judgement. It's the most wonderful gift anyone could ever receive, but again doesn't change our lives today.
8 “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.
Awesome! Amazing! - But future.
9 “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.
What a wonderful thing to be called, and an incredible blessing, none of us deserve that! But being called something by God doesn't stop your wife leaving with the kids.
10 “Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
The reward for the persecuted is again: way, way in the future. It's an amazing reward, far greater than anything we could receive on earth - so we can't get it here.
11-12 “Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.
Again, the reward is in heaven, not here.

God may sometimes choose to bless people with material things. But He promises far more importantly to bless us with spiritual things - righteousness, comfort, and enormous rewards in Heaven. If we receive anything physical on earth it's really just a bonus, a tiny foretaste of what is to come. Many Christians over the years have even died for their faith, yet they can truly be said to be greatly blessed, and their reward in Heaven is even greater than that of those who manage to die a natural death.

I concur, CW. There are losses, but oh, how much we have GAINED!!

Peace with God

Hallelujah!

Doc

Ok so I'm not into writing a mini who am I post but so you all know, reading the beautitueds chokes me up!

Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those that mourn, for they shall be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for rightoeusness, for they shall be filled.
Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the sons of God.
Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

How true.

Back