• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

When is submission appropriate?

John said:
When God created Eve, He did His finest creative work.
Yeah, I've always thought that YHWH was practicing when He made Adam... :lol: :lol: :lol:

In fact, did not Paul say:
Romans 9:21 NKJV Does not the potter have power over the clay, from the same lump to make one vessel for honor and another for dishonor?
Since Eve was fashioned from one of Adam's ribs, they were made from the same lump. :D

IMHO, a woman should NOT completely submit to a man who has not yet entered into a marriage covenant with her, regardless of whether she has a Godly father or if she is "on her own." She should submit in some areas, of course - but don't ask me to define what those might be. That would probably be different for each couple.

And she needs to be sure that the man with whom she is about to enter into a lifetime covenant is truly a Godly man. There are some men for whom one wife would be two too many...

I suggest error on the side of safety, it is better safe then sorry.

Of course if a woman has non-Christian parents insisting she only marry a non-Christian, it is not really safe to obey them because they will transfer her from a non-safe authority to a non-safe authority even if she feel like she is being safe by avoiding the temper of her parents. Also it may feel like it is safe to obey parents but if they are just obeying them to avoid anger is it really safe to obey them or safer to run away?

Sura 4:34 happens

PolyDoc said:
And she needs to be sure that the man with whom she is about to enter into a lifetime covenant is truly a Godly man. There are some men for whom one wife would be two too many...

So one wife minus two wives would leave the man with negative one.

dtt wrote:
So one wife minus two wives would leave the man with negative one.
Your math is quite correct. That's how many wives some little boys in men's bodies should have.

And unfortunately, I know a couple of 35-yo (+/-) mommy's boys about whom that math fits perfectly. You know a few, as well, I'm sure...still living with mommy and daddy, can't hold a job, etc.

Any woman who would agree to submit to a jerk like one of those needs to have her head examined.

BTW, in case someone didn't get it, a mathematically-impossible exaggeration was being used to make a point. There is no such thing as having "negative-one" wives. :eek:

There is no such thing as having "negative-one" wives
actualy, the math is accurate. in some relationships having a wife is worse than having no wife at all.
and the reason can be that adult bodied little-boy-who-is-not-qualified-to-be-a-husband which you have described.

steve wrote:
actualy, the math is accurate.
Maybe what I should have said is "logically-impossible" or "impossible-in-reality" or some such, not "mathematically-impossible."

But most people will get the point regardless of the semantics.

Back