• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Prayer request When NOT to pray

Maddog

Male
I just ran across this verse from Jeremiah 7:16 where God says, "Don't pray for them." I have always said prayers for folks to come to Him and I am surprised that sometimes we are directed to "Don't do that, it's useless, ain't gonna happen, don't waste your time" sort of thing. That is rather opposite to what we have been raised to do. What other instances does God say this? How about in today's economy?

I just ran across this verse from Jeremiah 7:16 where God says, "Don't pray for them." I have always said prayers for folks to come to Him and I am surprised that sometimes we are directed to "Don't do that, it's useless, ain't gonna happen, don't waste your time" sort of thing. That is rather opposite to what we have been raised to do. What other instances does God say this? How about in today's economy?
In my recent study of Noah, Adonai doesn't specifically say don't pray but he didn't command Noah to go and save anyone before the flood either. This was quite the opposite of what i was taught as a child. Adonai did command him to build the Ark, and put his wife, sons and sons wives on the ark. And of course the animals.So although it wasn't mentioned not to pray for them there was just no mention of it at all. Adonai was disgusted with mankind and wanted them all destroyed because He new their hearts and their inclination of their heart.

I see where God told the people He would destroy them if they did NOT take the yolk of the king of Babylon as a similarly head scratching kind of passage. He wants people to be blessed and free, but there is a time where judgment is what He has ordained.
In Gideon's day He purposed to deliver them in a way that turned the nation back to Him. Knowing both expressed His will at each time and circumstance suggests we should remain prayerful about life and seek discernment.

Jer. 7 is a chapter that puts me at odds with many who today support the state of Israel.
I/we see the physical city Jerusalem as an idol, (then and now) and believe the blood of Yeshua sealed the judgment upon the people and the land, and severed their claim to it.

But that is just another controversy.

In my recent study of Noah, Adonai doesn't specifically say don't pray but he didn't command Noah to go and save anyone before the flood either. This was quite the opposite of what i was taught as a child. Adonai did command him to build the Ark, and put his wife, sons and sons wives on the ark. And of course the animals.So although it wasn't mentioned not to pray for them there was just no mention of it at all. Adonai was disgusted with mankind and wanted them all destroyed because He new their hearts and their inclination of their heart.
That’s a really good (undeniable, even) example of “reprobate minds”

I have done a lot of study into this topic. The Father tells us in a lot of places that He won't even hear the prayers for certain people when His righteous judgements come upon them. I think from much study that its never a bad thing to ask that a person repent and turn to Yah. The problem is praying that His judgement would cease, or be easier than what He has chosen. We want to pray within the Fathers will, and He does will to bring judgement. We are not the judges of the world, they have already been judged. Even when we pray for our brethren we must be wise. I like how its explained in 1st John 5

14¶Now this is the confidence that we have in Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us.

15And if we know that He hears us, whatever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we have asked of Him.

16¶If anyone sees his brother sinning a sin which does not lead to death, he will ask, and He will give him life for those who commit sin not leading to death. There is sin leading to death. I do not say that he should pray about that.

17All unrighteousness is sin, and there is sin not leading to death.

I also appreciate Yeshua's prayer in John 17 where He only prays for His disciples and not the world.

6¶“I have manifested Your name to the men whom You have given Me out of the world. They were Yours, You gave them to Me, and they have kept Your word.

7“Now they have known that all things which You have given Me are from You.

8“For I have given to them the words which You have given Me; and they have received them, and have known surely that I came forth from You; and they have believed that You sent Me.

9¶“I pray for them. I do not pray for the world but for those whom You have given Me, for they are Yours.

10“And all Mine are Yours, and Yours are Mine, and I am glorified in them.

I have learned (not perfectly) to pray for Yahs will and to seek His will before bringing my own will.

I have done a lot of study into this topic. The Father tells us in a lot of places that He won't even hear the prayers for certain people when His righteous judgements come upon them. I think from much study that its never a bad thing to ask that a person repent and turn to Yah. The problem is praying that His judgement would cease, or be easier than what He has chosen. We want to pray within the Fathers will, and He does will to bring judgement. We are not the judges of the world, they have already been judged. Even when we pray for our brethren we must be wise. I like how its explained in 1st John 5

14¶Now this is the confidence that we have in Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us.

15And if we know that He hears us, whatever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we have asked of Him.

16¶If anyone sees his brother sinning a sin which does not lead to death, he will ask, and He will give him life for those who commit sin not leading to death. There is sin leading to death. I do not say that he should pray about that.

17All unrighteousness is sin, and there is sin not leading to death.

I also appreciate Yeshua's prayer in John 17 where He only prays for His disciples and not the world.

6¶“I have manifested Your name to the men whom You have given Me out of the world. They were Yours, You gave them to Me, and they have kept Your word.

7“Now they have known that all things which You have given Me are from You.

8“For I have given to them the words which You have given Me; and they have received them, and have known surely that I came forth from You; and they have believed that You sent Me.

9¶“I pray for them. I do not pray for the world but for those whom You have given Me, for they are Yours.

10“And all Mine are Yours, and Yours are Mine, and I am glorified in them.

I have learned (not perfectly) to pray for Yahs will and to seek His will before bringing my own will.
Sometimes it is not punishment that He is bringing, but course correction.
A well-meaning prayer can reduce an affliction that He was using to get someone’s attention.

A well-meaning prayer can reduce an affliction that He was using to get someone’s attention.
I absolutely agree, that's where we should study to understand sin that leads to death and sin that does not lead to death.

I have often prayed for my ex-wife that the Father would deal with her as a wayward daughter and not as non-believer, "go easy on her..." She is (20 years later) still in rebellion and bitterness. I stopped praying.

I have often prayed for my ex-wife that the Father would deal with her as a wayward daughter and not as non-believer, "go easy on her..." She is (20 years later) still in rebellion and bitterness. I stopped praying.
How did Yeshua teach us to pray?
“…..thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done….”

Sometimes the best prayer is “Thy Kingdom in her life, Lord.
Whatever your Kingdom looks like in her life, I call it forth.”

I will pray for her and pray for you too.

I have often prayed for my ex-wife… "go easy on her..." She is (20 years later) still in rebellion and bitterness. I stopped praying.
I often pray for those who have left my life, or are still a part of it in some fashion, but far from Him. When I was a new believer my prayers were to bring them to the knowledge and power of the truth. As I have grown in the Spirit, my prayers have changed to His will being done in their life. Whatever that looks like, I must be content in that outcome. For the Lord knows who are His, and if anyone is part of the family, they will be brought in at His appointed time…even if I don’t like the timing! It’s not easy having love for those who love not the Lord, but I refuse to stop praying for them completely. On that note, I can’t say I’ve prayed for anyone for 20 years…yet!

Back