• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

General Where are the roots of Monogamy Onlyism?

NickF

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Male
I know many of us here have researched this topic. I'd like to do a deeper dive into it. Can anybody offer some books, resources, links to articles? I'm hoping to get some good citations for the next portion of my book. First part is over 100 pages, going to get thinned a bit, and fleshed out in places, but I'm guessing between 80 and 125 pages when finished. Second portion will be a bit shorter, but not by much.

@PeteR I'm sure you have a stack of suggestions

You are familiar with this thread? Some good discussion and resources there. It's where I always return when I want to refresh my thinking on this topic.
There's a lot of very insightful information and links to additional sources in that thread. Well worth checking out.

I know many of us here have researched this topic. I'd like to do a deeper dive into it. Can anybody offer some books, resources, links to articles? I'm hoping to get some good citations for the next portion of my book. First part is over 100 pages, going to get thinned a bit, and fleshed out in places, but I'm guessing between 80 and 125 pages when finished. Second portion will be a bit shorter, but not by much.

Footnotes in Prince of Sumba by Don Milton.
The Western Case for Monogamy over Polygamy by John Witte Jr (Cambridge Series... very good exposing the MO and Greco-Roman connection)

Two best scholarly sources... then reading some of the church 'fathers.'... Tertullian De Monogamia,. .. happy to talk, give me a holler.

Also, if anybody has PDF or digitally searchable source documents, it would save me HOURS of work if you could email them to me. PM for email address, I would be deeply appreciative.

I'm compiling a digital library, and would be happy to share my compilation with anybody interested. Catie is helping me pull free digital versions off the internet, clean them up and print as PDFs for easier use and archival purposes.

Ancient Society, by Louis Henry Morgan, deals with the topic without belaboring it.

Also, if anybody has PDF or digitally searchable source documents, it would save me HOURS of work if you could email them to me. PM for email address, I would be deeply appreciative.

I'm compiling a digital library, and would be happy to share my compilation with anybody interested. Catie is helping me pull free digital versions off the internet, clean them up and print as PDFs for easier use and archival purposes.
Have you seen the "books" page on the main website? It has links to ebooks of several key references.

In particular, I recommend "The History and Philosophy of Marriage", it's a brief introduction but a good one. We've actually got that on the website as a pdf for reading online or downloading - right-click on the document to download:

One of the first places I looked. Have that book in print on my desk. Thanks!

Back