• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Mark C

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Male
The annual Torah cycle reading, or parsha, for this week is "Re'eh", from Deuteronomy 11:26 through 16:17, and it is what I contend is either one of THE most 'controversy-filled' collections of teaching in the Book, or the best hard-hitting litany of things 'Twisted by Men'.

It is undoubtedly one of the best summaries of what He didn't change, and WHY, that those looking for a 'compare and contrast' understanding will find.

It will no doubt, as He repeated warned, also cause some to be offended. There's even a bit of speculation, but hopefully food-for-thought:

The annual Torah cycle reading, or parsha, for this week is "Re'eh", from Deuteronomy 11:26 through 16:17, and it is what I contend is either one of THE most 'controversy-filled' collections of teaching in the Book, or the best hard-hitting litany of things 'Twisted by Men'.

It is undoubtedly one of the best summaries of what He didn't change, and WHY, that those looking for a 'compare and contrast' understanding will find.

It will no doubt, as He repeated warned, also cause some to be offended. There's even a bit of speculation, but hopefully food-for-thought:

Half way through ... enjoying ... thanks.

The annual Torah cycle reading, or parsha, for this week is "Re'eh", from Deuteronomy 11:26 through 16:17,.....

This is off topic, but what information/research do you have for annual v triennial parasha readings? Thanks.

I'm sure a web search will find the parsha breakdowns for each week. I don't follow the rabbinic calendar, so it can be interesting, but since many listeners on the radio/podcast network (Hebrew Nation Radio) do - I like to try to keep at least fairly close schedule-wise (and, I personally prefer the annual sked). Aish.com is one of several places that has a weekly calendar up, as do a number of 'messianic' sites. Some will publish regular midrash that goes each week, too, and there are a number of books.
(I have A Year Through the Torah: A Week-by-Week Journey for Christians on my shelf nearby. It lists the Scripture breakdowns, but the calendar varies every year.)

Oh no, I can find the parasha schedule for both easily enough. I was wondering about the history and such, which one was older, which schedule did Yeshua keep, and that kind of thing. I've done the search thing, but not much from what seems like reliable or primary sources. I did find some information in both the Jewish encyclopedia and the universal Jewish encyclopedia as well as one reference in the Talmud.

Not really that important. Just curiosity more than anything, but I figured if anyone might have information like this then maybe Mark would.

I've seen some of the history; you're right, I take such with a grain of salt. Certainly we know Yahushua read in the temple, and what I recall seeing suggests the one year cycle is the oldest, but I really don't know. I'm sure you've heard, too, that the haftorah readings date from Roman occupation, in large part to sidestep prohibitions.

(As a rule, I'm not big on traditions for their own sake. But I see the value in the ability of people to engage in structured study if they choose.)

Back