• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

WHERE IS THE SHORELINE FOR SUBMISSION? Or, Is Your Husband Seeking Plural Marriage Your Get-Out-of-Jail-Free Card?

All I cared about then was marrying my wife, and I let the preacher come up with the vows without vetting them, and of course one of them was keeping myself only for her until death.
This is very familiar.

However, we both wanted the truth, and when polygyny came up we both were open to whatever YHWH had for our life. That vow is fine for me, and I had no desire to hold my husband to a non biblical vow, and now there is someone else making our family richer....and I don't mean with money.

There isn't as much shame in ignorance as there is in refusing to hear the truth.

My dad loves quotes like this one..

Accept nothing that is unreasonable, discard nothing AS unreasonable without proper examination.

If YHWH said "Come let us reason together" I consider such conversations to be among the most edifying.....to truth seekers.
It sure weeds out the shallow and insincere though!

This is precisely why I led my bride to create scripturally sound vows for our wedding ceremony. I wasn't going to make vows that were not based on what The Word says.
Our son and his wifevwrote their own scripturally sound vows.
Hopefully we don't stay as infants in the faith, but mature to be leaders and teachers of the truth to the next generation.
That is a worthy goal and I am encouraged by our family's acceptance of our new members, and their zeal in defending this choice.
The truth as best we can present it is the best legacy to leave our children.

Like I said, I was 20 years old (no excuse, right). And the preacher is supposed to know what he's doing, or at least I thought at the time.

What 20 year old that was brought up in a monogamy only church and culture seriously vets the vows they are told to repeat. Not many.
Well, I was 22 the first of four times I've been marriage-license married, but I've never made the forsake-all-others vow, even when marrying my 2nd wife who was adamant that I forsake all others. But it was an entirely unconventional wedding that included day-lily salad as the centerpiece of the reception, LSD for anyone who wanted it, and skinny dipping in the Snake River. My parents were there, but otherwise most everyone was drummers who danced to the beat of drummers who played to the beat of different drummers.

Well, I was 22 the first of four times I've been marriage-license married, but I've never made the forsake-all-others vow, even when marrying my 2nd wife who was adamant that I forsake all others. But it was an entirely unconventional wedding that included day-lily salad as the centerpiece of the reception, LSD for anyone who wanted it, and skinny dipping in the Snake River. My parents were there, but otherwise most everyone was drummers who danced to the beat of drummers who played to the beat of different drummers.
Doesn't sound like a church wedding. If you're were highly active in your church like I was, and got married in a religious ceremony, chances are you would have been told (or asked), to repeat a vow that said something along the lines of forsaking all others. It's standard terminology in most church weddings.

I repeated the vow because I thought that was what was required to marry my wife. Also thought we needed marriage licenses at the time to be married.

When I came to the truth about marriage, that vow had to go. With my wife's release of the vow, of course.

Doesn't sound like a church wedding. If you're were highly active in your church like I was, and got married in a religious ceremony, chances are you would have been told (or asked), to repeat a vow that said something along the lines of forsaking all others. It's standard terminology in most church weddings.
Of course it is. Organized Religion has always acted in concert with The State to treat us all as chattel who must be required to behave as good little cogs who follow the manageability rules.

I've never been married in a church. My second wedding, though, was performed by my favorite-ever pastor. He knew where I stood about polygamy, and he even knew that I was agnostic at the time, so he officiated but more as a human being with the license to marry us than as a representative of The Church. Good man, may he rest in peace. That wife, however, was the only one whom I divorced, and I didn't do so entirely righteously, so Pastor Neeb refused to perform my next marriage, so my 3rd wife and I contracted a JP from the Tarrant County Courthouse in 1986. In 1987, Kristin and I were married by the Allegheny County Justice of the Peace, who provided us with a two-sided sheet with 18 different sets of vows to select from; several said nothing about forsaking all others. Had they all had that phrase, though, I just wouldn't have repeated it, knowing, given that secular authorities believe there's actually separation between Church and State, that he would have just caved in. We 'donated' money to a couple people who were standing around just waiting to perform as witnesses in the revolving-door circus.

I'll never do that again and consider myself a fool to have ever registered a relationship with the state.

It's as if they own you. Go figure.

Back