• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Who should be responsible

sweetlissa

Real Person
Female
When a husband is courting a new lady, whose responsibility is it to nurture the friendship between the ladies. I have heard it from all angles and I would really like to hear what others have to say about it.

If you are poly, can you tell how it worked in your family? If you have dated a new lady can you tell what happened there? I know people want to know how this works and we don't have an instruction manual, so it would be nice to hear what worked and what didn't.

SweetLissa

Hi there Sweetlissa,

Thanks so much for putting this question out there! As you already know how my mind works, with all of it's endless questions & whatnot, I for one truly am looking forward to some insights & shared testimonies regarding this particular subject! So bring it on ladies, spread & share the wealth of Godly wisdom here. "A Poly How to Manual," could prove to be a very helpful blessing for all of us who are studying or actually seeking the poly life. So who's ready & available to get this book out there? :D I will be first in line to purchase one! Yeshua's Blessings upon you all! :)

Faithful Servant

Having never gone through this situation, I am also curious as to how these kinks are worked out. Faithful Servant's "Poly How To Manual" reminds me of Titus 2 where the aged men and women are to teach the young men and women to behave in their family structures. We really don't have a generation that has gone before to learn from their failures and successes. I'm sure that they're out there, Biblical plural marriage is nothing new, after all. They're just not out in the open. I guess it's up to you, Lissa & T to figure it out and let others learn from your experiences. Good Luck!

The good thing is that through Christ we have grace and forgiveness. We're not always going to handle every situation correctly, but hopefully we can all show that grace to each other, just as in our monogamous marriages if we want them to be successful. I can imagine myself running to my husband with a complaint about how I just can't stand it when she does_____. Unfortuantely, I've made the mistake of doing that a lot when his mom got under my skin. I'm not saying that I should never bring things into the light of his knowledge, I was just out of control. I'm sure that there's a very fine line of not wanting him to butt in and control feelings, but wanting his guidance for the family as well. There have been so many times that I have used my husband as a sounding board with friendship problems, and he often gives very good advice. I personally would just have to remember that that friend would be his wife,too. Just like I know that he would not stand for anyone talking badly of me because I am his wife and he loves me, I would need to respect that same knight-in-shining-armor feelings that would be stirred up in him for that wife. I guess I think that if I'm not careful and speaking out of love, his Godly-husband-mindedness might backfire on me.

Basically, I have no Idea how things should be or would be. I think "Be quick to pray and slow to speak" would be my motto.

In our case, we had some bumps along the way because hubby left to go away to 3 months of training right about the time we started this relationship. So while he was gone, I would go to T's side of town most nights and we would walk around the Marina and talk while we were walking. For her side she invited me to some of their family outings. I babysat for the grandkids on a few weekends so T could go out of town. One Saturday in December the granddaughter was marching in the annual Christmas Parade, so we went to that together. Of course we shopped early in the morning on Thanksgiving and at Christmas we did a circuit of all T's house, her son's house, the hospital (cause her mom was there) and ended up at my house. So we both took responsibility for different parts.

SweetLissa

Good morning Sweetlissa,

Thanks again so much for being such an open & willing vessel of Godly wisdom through the sharing of your own poly journey with your family! :D It's such a blessing to have these added insights into the poly life. It helps me to understand what all is involved in following Yeshua's will & plan for our family, if pm is what He calls us too. It still seems to be allot to fully wrap my mind & heart around at times, but then I do experience times of Peace & Excitement of what the Lord might have planned for us! :)

So moving along here, just curious as to weather or not both your & T's family know that you're all living in a poly marriage/family? You had shared about the beginning of your poly life and getting to know one another, and spoke of shared duties during the holidays. Did the family members realize or know what was happening at that point, that you all had joined or were in the process of joining together as one family? How did that go, or is it safe to assume that whole thing is still a work in progress?! :) As our lives are such a work in progress, a learning journey anyways!

I'd like to know how your dh felt and handled the beginning of your poly life. Did he share times of mixed feelings, confusion or concern about the whole process & if pm was a "calling from God to do so?" I always think about my dh's feelings/concerns, if Yeshua ever does convict & confirm to us both to pursue pm. As I've shared in the past, my dh has conflicts within his soul as to weather or not it would be a form of cheating on me or possible sin. He goes back & forth with all of this. His love & devotion to me and our kiddos is so sweet & strong, and I so value and love that in him! That devotion is what helps me to be reassured that his love & devotion would remain secure if Yeshua does lead us to pm. But dh worries what will happen to our relationship if we do have a sw, he worries how he can emotionally & financially handle a poly family. Which I'm glad these are concerns of his, as he doesn't take this lightly, realizing what a huge effect for better or worse that the poly life could have on our family for generations to come!

If pm is something that Yeshua calls us to in the future, I would like to be involved in the whole process. As much as dh would feel comfortable with my input, thoughts & ideas. Wouldn't you agree that open communication and honesty are a key factor here, especially in the beginning stages of pm? Dh has also shared that he wouldn't feel comfortable without my input or without us being in agreement with the whole thing. We've discussed different topics/issues that could come up, and have agreed that we'd like for me to be able to meet the possible sw right from the beginning. In doing so, giving us time to know one another & develop a friendship, level of respect & trust first and foremost. Sort of like "putting all of our cards on the table," and learning what everyone's intentions, hopes & dreams are, etc. Dh has also expressed a desire for me to be present in the beginning stages of getting to know each other, and not wanting to go on any dates per say alone right away.

So what about it ladies? What have your experiences been like in the beginning of your poly journys? What did or didn't work for your families? Any shared testimonies/experiences or "what not to do list," would be greatly appreciated! :D Take care all, as I look forward to gleaning new Godly insights with this topic. Enjoy your week ahead & go forth in His Name, being a blessing to others and, in doing so being blessed along the way! :D

Faithful Servant

Oh, I missed that part in the first sentence about "while the husband is courting". I thought you were talking about years into the relationship.

I don't know how I would want things, but I'll tell you what I think it should NOT be. It should not be the wife saying to the husband, "I like this one and she's my new BFF, so marry her". That assums that the man does not care about who she is. If I wouldn't want to think that my husband doesn't care for her because he only wants her for sex because that would imply that that's all he wants me for. It's the same concept as if the man just brought someone home and said, "I married this one, now get along with her." I guess I have a simplistic fantasy that if God brings them all together, everyone will instantly connect.

Our families are still in transition too. Since we are not all living together yet, it doesn't seem to be a rush to tell everyone. Their sons know and have varying reactions. Other assorted members of the family do too. There has been a lot of advice given, but only one of their sons sees where it is not a sin.

My family is a mixed bag. I have two sisters. One a believer, the other not. Both hate my decision for different reasons. Those reasons make no sense to me. I have not told my brother or my parents yet for the simple reason that I got such horrible reactions from my sisters that I just couldn't deal with anymore alone. We will face that when hubby is home, at least that is my hope. The reality is that I haven't been a daily part of my family for 20+ years and so if they reject me, it will just be one more rejection. The people here on this board, hubby and T and other people that I see daily matter much more. That is simply practical. My parents have not been there for support since I was 17. I would hardly ask them for advice on my relationship.

Hubby has struggled a lot with this relationship. He wants it very much and he wants it to be perfect. Along the way he has often tried to fix our relationship and we have all had a lot of difficulty with that. Somewhere along the way T and I came to the conclusion that we needed to talk to each other, cause he is such a bottom line person. He will sum up a three day conversation (intense fellowship) into a two line summary and we get left with no details. So we started maintaining our friendship apart from him.

SweetLissa

I agree with what you say about the wife telling the husband who he should and should not marry, for my own part I am willing to trust hubby's judgement, after all he found me with no help or advice from me. :D

DeeAnn said:
Oh, I missed that part in the first sentence about "while the husband is courting". I thought you were talking about years into the relationship.

I don't know how I would want things, but I'll tell you what I think it should NOT be. It should not be the wife saying to the husband, "I like this one and she's my new BFF, so marry her". That assums that the man does not care about who she is. If I wouldn't want to think that my husband doesn't care for her because he only wants her for sex because that would imply that that's all he wants me for. It's the same concept as if the man just brought someone home and said, "I married this one, now get along with her." I guess I have a simplistic fantasy that if God brings them all together, everyone will instantly connect.

Back