• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Who's Yer Daddy, Girl?

maddog2

As I was reading this morning in Jeremiah 3, it occurs to me that divorce is the ultimate punishment for the unrepentant woman. The Father, thru the prophet Jeremiah, has put away His Israel and is getting ready to put away His Judah as well. Note early on that He did not DIVORCE them right away. He knew about their whorish activity and says to look out on the countryside and see all the places she has laid as a hooker with her johns. "See, See, See! BUT I will still bring you back in again. Who's yer daddy, girl? Come on back! But nooo, she would have none of it, so I had to do more- I had to divorce her. Hey Judah, did you see her example? ...Yet the treacherous sister feared not and went and played the whore also." (OK that's the maddog version but you get the point) Both of these archetypes could have lived in the lap of God and enjoyed His blessings.
This tells me the blessings that a wife has is through her husband, pleasure on the other hand doesn't necessarily follow the same route. For some reason the intoxication of the lover is all she wants. This has puzzled me for almost 40 years. I have never been addicted to any substance- alcohol, tobacco or drugs, so I can't identify with or understand the addictive behavior.
How am I behaving in a manner consistent with Israel that might cause me to be put away or ultimately divorced from His blessings? Is there any idolatry or adultery or covetousness or murderous thought? Does anything come before Him?
"I have kept all these from my youth." Then Jesus says to sell it all and give it to the poor. And the young man went away sad for he had great possessions. Perhaps it is the hidden idolatry of our affluence as we worship the blessings and not the Blesser.

m

Back