• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Why birth control could actually make your dating life suck

MeganC

Seasoned Member
Real Person*
Female

(Video at the link)

Ladies, if you’re striking out on bad dates your birth control could be to blame.

A podcast host is claiming the pill can change to whom you’re attracted — so maybe you don’t have bad taste after all.

In a viral TikTok, Elisha Covey from Dallas suggested that birth control mimics pregnancy in a woman’s body — and, to some degree, it does. The pill prevents ovulation from occurring and changes the cervical mucus, with some help from hormones, to make it harder to become pregnant.

“If you are on the pill, obviously not pregnant, you’re attracted to different men than you would be if you were off the pill,” she stated in the clip, which garnered 15.4 million views. “The man that I first married, my first horrible marriage, I was on the pill when I met him.”

After she got off the pill, she continued, it changed how she saw her husband.

“Maybe trying to meet a life partner when you’re drugged is not a good idea,” she quipped.

Covey did not respond to The Post’s request for comment.

Users in the comments section were shocked to hear the revelation, while others bit back at the claims, saying they’re still happily married to their partners or require birth control for medical conditions.

“I have absolutely no excuse because I haven’t taken pills,” joked one user.

“CORRELATION DOES NOT EQUAL CAUSATION,” argued another.

“That’s not true for everyone. I met and married my hubby on birth control. I’m off now and I’m still attracted and happily married,” stated someone else.

“What about those who prefer being on it!? I take it and like it to help manage my PCOS and feel more leveled ON the pill vs off,” one user inquired.

” ‘I was on the pill’ is my excuse now,” someone else joked.

In the US, 46.9 million women use some form of contraception, according to data from 2017 collected by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Of those women aged 15 to 49 who use birth control of some kind, approximately 12% take the pill.

Studies have shown that the pill does, in fact, change the pheromones emitted by a woman’s body, and it can apparently influence how partners are chosen, according to a 2018 study published in the National Library of Medicine. A 2008 study also found a correlation between birth control and women’s taste in men.

The women of TikTok have noticed that fact, too, flocking to the platform to share their own harrowing experiences while being on the pill.

“When you’re off hormonal birth control and can finally experience natural pheromone attraction,” reads one clip, which shows a woman sniffing the heck out of her man’s shoulder.

“Getting off hormonal birth control after 6 years and suddenly being able to smell men & my ‘type’ immediately changing,” one user wrote in her own clip.

Other TikTokers felt more liberated and healthy after ditching the pill, citing more energy, weight loss and deeper attraction for their partners. Meanwhile, others showed the tolls birth control took on their bodies, which included weight gain, acne, depression and more.

One user shared before and after images of herself, painting a picture of just how miserable she was while taking the pill.

“Literally not worth it to be on [birth control],” she wrote in the comments.

According to the Mayo Clinic, weight gain, breakthrough bleeding, headaches, nausea, elevated blood pressure and bloating are common side effects of combination birth control pills, which contain both estrogen and progestin. The pill can also increase the risk of blood clots, heart attacks and other health issues.

I can't really speak to this because I've never been on birth control. But Christie said when she was on it the pills made her crazy and she made some very irrational decisions. She said she felt like a whole different person after she quit taking the pills and I believe her.

Birth control messes with your hormones unnaturally. Hormones are already crazy enough, we all know what it's like.
If you're ovulating you're more likely to make bad decisions in terms of having sex with someone you shouldn't. If you're on your period you're more likely to snap and be grumpy at people. Many a time I have been deeply upset with Samuel and snapped at him over something that seemed super important, only to get my period the next day lol.
If natural hormone fluctuations are difficult, imagine what it's like having them artificially controlled.

Many a time I have been deeply upset with Samuel and snapped at him over something that seemed super important, only to get my period the next day lol.
I had a day a while back where I was just not myself. It was disturbing until I realized a day or so later there was a three letter explanation. Pms.

If I take care of myself....it's not usually an issue. If I don't take care of myself ....I often wish I had. :cool:

I have never been on birth control....thankfully.

Never really been an advocate for birth control, more for abstinence. However I have to take it due to severe endometriosis, I tried to avoid taking it for 10+ years but had to give in the past couple of years because the pain was unbearable, it was difficult for me to even go to work.

I've had bad experiences and side effects with a couple of brands at first but learned that once given time to get into your system the side effects settle down in most cases. Sadly after awhile the type you're accustomed to taking will stop working as well and you have to go through the readjustment phase again. That sucks along with the weight gain from both endometriosis and birth control combined.

I've steadily been attracted to the same type of men both before and after. My mood also improved with birth control, endometriosis had me being an irritable B-word for months straight sometimes lol. I don't doubt other women have bad experiences with it though.

Last edited:
Birth control messes with your hormones unnaturally. Hormones are already crazy enough, we all know what it's like.
If you're ovulating you're more likely to make bad decisions in terms of having sex with someone you shouldn't. If you're on your period you're more likely to snap and be grumpy at people. Many a time I have been deeply upset with Samuel and snapped at him over something that seemed super important, only to get my period the next day lol.
If natural hormone fluctuations are difficult, imagine what it's like having them artificially controlled.
I'm typically pretty laid back and it takes a lot to get me worked up (off the forums at least lol.) Anyway I remember driving through the Walmart parking lot one time, stopped at the cross walk to let this old lady cross the street. AlI of a sudden I became super irritated at how long it was taking her to walk, the next day I got my period...now I can laugh about it but yeah felt like a total brat for feeling annoyed at this cute old lady.

Last edited:
I'm typically pretty laid back and it takes a lot to get me worked up (off the forums at least lol.) Anyway I remember driving through the Walmart parking lot one time, stopped at the pediatrician cross walk to let this old lady cross the street. AlI of a sudden I became super irritated at how long it was taking her to walk, the next day I got my period...now I can laugh about it but yeah felt like a total brat for feeling annoyed at this cute old lady.
A two ton vehicle in the hands of a temporarily irrational person, what could go wrong?

Never really been an advocate for birth control, more for abstinence. However I have to take it due to severe endometriosis, I tried to avoid taking it for 10+ years but had to give in the past couple of years because the pain was unbearable, it was difficult for me to even go to work. I've had bad experiences and side effects with a couple of brands at first but learned that once given time to get into your system the side effects settle down in most cases. Sadly after awhile the type you're accustomed to taking will stop working as well and you have to go through the readjustment phase again, that sucks along with the weight gain from both endometriosis and birth control.

Also I've steadily been attracted to the same type of men both before and after. My mood also improved with birth control, endometriosis had me being an irritable B-word lol
Years back a woman friend i knew would get so ill each month she would be vomiting and end up bed ridden for a few days. I remember her saying her doctor told her to go on the pill or have a baby because the hormonal changes would help settle things down for her. Sadly, a little while ago I learnt she got cancer and had to have a hysterectomy. She never was able to have children. The effects of the curse seem quite severe for some women.

Years back a woman friend i knew would get so ill each month she would be vomiting and end up bed ridden for a few days. I remember her saying her doctor told her to go on the pill or have a baby because the hormonal changes would help settle things down for her. Sadly, a little while ago I learnt she got cancer and had to have a hysterectomy. She never was able to have children. The effects of the curse seem quite severe for some women.
So sad. She probably had endometrial cancer? I'm assuming. My doctor has been pressuring me for a hysterectomy because she's worried about cancer developing as well. Both my mom and sister had full hysterectomies around age 25 because they developed cancer as well. My issues started to get really bad at 28. I put off using birth control as long as I could because I heard so many bad things about it but sadly some us need it for health reasons.

Last edited:
Based on the stories I hear you'd think the cure for the common cold was putting women on birth control. Practically every reproductive problem (except having babies) has that as the solution. Often there are other, healthier options.

I recently heard but have not vetted the info that most birth control is an isomer of the body building steroid nandrolone decanoate. It shuts down a woman’s hormone production and interferes with her fertility cycle.

This Is Your Brain on Birth Control by Sarah Hill is a fascinating read.
I never did birth control, unless you mean staying composed while giving birth. ;)

I feel like I always had the blessings in connection to my hubby and kids that went with not being in an altered state hormonally. I think I got a bit out of whack once after a miscarriage, partly due to chemicals like the fabric softener my mom in law gifted me. I tell as many as will listen about the risks. Thanks for the book recommendation.

Thanks for the book recommendation.
The book is neither pro or anti, but really informative about the powerful changes that take place when you use artificial hormones. The presence of estrogen in women triggering testosterone production in men was fascinating.

I was prescribed them for medical reasons and they played havoc with my body.

Back