• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

General Why did the Ancient People worship gods?

Julia Mykaele

Female
We see in the Old Testament that people worshiped various gods. But why did they do this? there has to be some reason why so many people did this.

Here is a guess of mine.

We see cases of famine in the Old Testament. If they were starving, then they were having problems with infertile soil. Of course.

I believe that the most revered gods were the goddesses of fertility and agriculture, because they represented the main problems they had.

They believed that the goddess of agriculture would bless them with fertile soil and that the goddess of fertility would bless the women with milk for the baby. It was prolonged breastfeeding that helped to decrease infant mortality.

People worshipped gods because there was so much in the world that they didn't understand so they created gods whose powers explained away the many natural events of the time.

The Catholics essentially do the same thing by delegating the roles of some of the pagan gods to the various saints. This system of saints is what really defines Roman Catholicism. The early Catholics adapted their beliefs to make them more acceptable to the Roman worldview that the world was so complicated that just one god could not manage everything alone.

People worshipped gods because there was so much in the world that they didn't understand so they created gods whose powers explained away the many natural events of the time.

The Catholics essentially do the same thing by delegating the roles of some of the pagan gods to the various saints. This system of saints is what really defines Roman Catholicism. The early Catholics adapted their beliefs to make them more acceptable to the Roman worldview that the world was so complicated that just one god could not manage everything alone.

This is true of the Greeks, they were more intellectual. Stories served to explain the existence of things. For example: Echo explained the sound of the echo in nature.
They were like old fairy tales.

But I am referring to the ancients that we see in the bible. They really worshiped out of necessity. Nobody would make an offering to a God for no reason.

The enemy of our souls wants the worship that belongs to Yah. So he provides alternatives and entices people to worship them/him.
People fall for it.

I think worship is associated with fear and trust and therefore many of us monotheist still struggle with idol gods. We trust in principles and systems of thought to provide us with truth and direction instead of Yah and his revealed word.

People automatically adopt pagan gods and demons, and elect priesthoods around them, we see it all around us today. They're just not called "gods". But they exist.

There's "Coronavirus", that shifty invisible demon everyone has to fear. He has a priesthood of people in suits and white coats. They produce prophecies of what will happen if we don't obey them (models). They then tell us what rituals we must do to ward off the disaster (wearing masks, keeping distances etc). Then, when the disaster never comes, they tell us we did well. Or if the disaster comes anyway, they tell us we mustn't have done the rituals well enough. All of this is justified using enough scientific-sounding terms that it seems plausible to the minds of people in our present-day culture - just as the old gods were justified in terms that made them seem plausible to the minds of people of the day.

There's "climate change", another invisible demon. With another army of priests with their prophecies and rituals. And demanding massively expensive offerings and penance.

There's "Gaia", the earth goddess, who is the loving contrast to the above two demons. We must care for the earth to keep her healthy, and if we do she will provide for us. She's obviously a goddess but somehow finds her way everywhere in popular supposedly atheistic culture.

And so forth. Every society has gods and demons. Reject God and people invent others.

The reason ancient people worshipped gods is the exact same reason modern people obey the priesthood of coronavirus and climate change. It seems to actually make sense of the world and be the right thing to do. And they don't see an idol as a dead idol, but as a representation of something very real.

They then tell us what rituals we must do to ward off the disaster (wearing masks, keeping distances etc).

Many Christians use the argument that we have to wear a mask because of love for our neighbor. And I don't disagree.

Asians like the Japanese, Koreans and Chinese have the tradition of wearing masks even when they have the flu. Only Westerners see a problem with this, because of the concept of "freedom".
But they don't even realize that they are slaves, because most of us depend on the market (other people's production) to have food. This even causes me anguish.

The real control is not done by the government. This was created to distract people from the truth.

It's also worth noting that pantheism / occultism really is one religion with different names for the different "elemental forces of creation", which are personalised as gods and goddesses for reference purposes. The names of the gods and goddesses change over the generations, but the underlying spiritual / demonic forces involved are the same. This is represented as the "tree of life" of Kaballah, or variants of it with different names, in all different occult traditions. There is an occultist in New Zealand (who after consideration I have decided not to link to) who has presented a modern pantheon for the current internet age, taking the ancient tree representation of occult forces and re-labelling it with modern iconography. He's even called one "Corona-chan". He's sort-of joking, but mostly serious, as his underlying point is that occultism is dealing with the elemental forces, and the names they are given is a secondary matter. He's written a whole book on how to use his new pantheon for witchcraft purposes.

So the old "gods" were representations of underlying forces, and both pantheism and occultism are attempts to channel these forces to control the world around you.
Many Christians use the argument that we have to wear a mask because of love for our neighbor. And I don't disagree. Asians like the Japanese, Koreans and Chinese have the tradition of wearing masks even when they have the flu. Only Westerners see a problem with this, because of the concept of "freedom".

This is a good illustration of how the propaganda works. It IS sensible to wear a mask when you are sick and around other people, to reduce the particles of spit / snot that you might otherwise infect them with. It is better to avoid being around other people, but on those brief times when you have to (e.g. during a doctor's visit) it is sensible to wear a mask, and for the doctor to wear one also. That's logical, and in the West we've done it for years.

Asians don't wear masks all the time for this reason. They wear masks because of air pollution in their big cities. But it does mean they're used to using masks for that reason also, so adopt wearing them for medical reasons a bit faster.

The Covid propaganda takes these two factual things - it's good to wear masks when sick, and photos of crowds of Asian people wearing masks - and blends them together into the myth that if healthy Western people all wear masks like Asians, that will prevent disease from spreading. This is not scientific - plenty of studies show this. So this is where it becomes a religious ritual. The masks do nothing much in this situation (as even Fauci told us a year ago), and can even make things worse (as "disposable" masks get reused). But they are a ritual that signals the wearer's compliance, and show who a believer in the religion and who is a heretic.

The purpose of the occult is to control the world around you. There is a very fuzzy line between occultism, behavioural science and propaganda. Those who are rising to power in the world, and controlling everyone to obey them, are masters of the occult and priests of a new pantheistic religion (whether they personally recognise that or not).

I heard a quote that stuck with me the other day. I can’t remember where from, so sorry for the lack of citation.

“Submission removed from the framework of a common mission truly is oppressive. “

They want us to submit to wearing masks on a common mission that is objectionable at best - so this could be oppression. We can expect common missions to help bring us into submission/obedience - this happens with churches too. However we have to just be careful to watch how this common mission incrementally changes (doesn’t with Yah, word is true forever). Subtle changes are an oldschool adversarial tool. I think wearing and not wearing are equivalent at this point. No matter the evidence, I’d not want to be the unmasked man in a room of all mask wearers. Likewise if no one is wearing them I’d like to avoid it. If it’s somewhere in the middle I’d be inclined to make a choice from science or fact or maybe even based on who I wanted to side (associate) with. I also reserve the right to be a fringe rebel to any cause at any time if it’s in violation of scripture.

In all cases idolatry is avoided most effectively by adding nothing to, and taking nothing away, from the Word.

I want these choices for me and my house. In every case, I’d leave my fear and trust for Yahweh and apply intelligence and skepticism towards any system of control . Put the Word first, and we have a reference place. Put the world first and it’s subject to critique from the Word.

Last edited:
This is a good illustration of how the propaganda works. It IS sensible to wear a mask when you are sick and around other people, to reduce the particles of spit / snot that you might otherwise infect them with.

This is another example of how the propoganda has affected us. It SEEMS good to prevent spread of sickness by filtering our spit. But the actual science of the matter has found no beneficial affect to mask wearing. Not even for doctors operating on open bodies where infection is a very real problem. To the contrary, the use of a mask increases the risk and severity of pneumonia.

Also, covering the mouth has occult significance.

It's also worth noting that pantheism / occultism really is one religion with different names for the different "elemental forces of creation", which are personalised as gods and goddesses for reference purposes. The names of the gods and goddesses change over the generations, but the underlying spiritual / demonic forces involved are the same.

This is also true. Drill down and it's all different garbs for worshiping the Devil or his fallen angels or the offspring thereof. Some of it came about in ancient times through worship of kings. Others through the habit of evil spirits to inhabit certain places or people.

People worship idols because they refuse to worship God, and God therefore gives them over to a depraved mind. Romans 1 explains this. John Calvin suggested that the heart of man is an idol factory.

People worship idols because they refuse to worship God, and God therefore gives them over to a depraved mind. Romans 1 explains this. John Calvin suggested that the heart of man is an idol factory.

Most people like to worship themselves.

Why? IMO, the simple answer, Deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA). It is one of the attributes that sets us apart from all other mammals. God created in us the desire to worship. Today though, instead of worshiping God; generally speaking, we have degenerated to the worst and most destructive form worship . . self. Again, IMO based on numerous biblical examples. i. e. Eve, Tower of Babel, Saul, David, etc, but Jesus Christ refused to succumb of serving self when He was tempted by Satan.

"Banned"

First time I've seen that.

Back