• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Why did you marry your wife?

NVIII

Seasoned Member
Male
Not to be confused with "what qualities do you look for in a wife". Let me explain.

Several days ago, I was probing the minds of my wives to see where their submission was at on a topic I know to be a hill for them, the topic of me taking an additional wife. I do this occasionally whenever I feel led to examine them on this or other issues that normally lay dormant. One of them said to me, "If you feel you need many wives and God tells you to do so then I don't want to say no...." There's a lot to unpack in just that, as well as there was more that she said that also was discussion-provoking, but I want to focus just on this part and posit a question to you. Why do men marry women? When she said that, it immediately occurred to me, "I don't need either of you. That's not why I married you." But, just as fast, the next thought occurred to me, "Well then, why did I marry either one of them?"

An easy answer, which the fallen world claims, is that we marry for "love." The world doesn't know love and mistakes attraction and desire for love. Indeed, they do marry for that so-called "love", and their marriages disintegrate predictably when that attraction fades. Even many Christians marry for that same romantic reason, and then for various reasons cling slightly more tenaciously than their secular counterparts through the difficult times of dimishing desire, sometimes finding grace sufficient for their ignorance.

Another answer, which my wife thought, a thought which I know most Christians and the lost share in part for different reasons, is that a man needs a wife. God did say it is not good for Adam to be alone, and this is observable to us as well. Years ago I would have said this is certainly the answer. However, this answer's veil evaporates under the heat of polygyny to reveal what it truly is, a misunderstanding. It is, in fact, sometimes used as ammunition against polygyny: "How could a man need more than one wife? God said he needs one and only one." It is also a mantelpiece of Christian feminists, used to browbeat and usurp authority.

I want to present to you what I think is the answer, why a man should take any wife at all, and see what your thoughts are. Going back to my wife's reply, I'd like to point out that she is my second wife. I married her for a very specific reason: she needed me. But it goes beyond that. Human nature is to say to someone in need, "keep warm and well-fed", but do nothing to inconvenience ourselves. It was a great inconvenience to marry her. I knew it would be. I knew it would be difficult, costly, and a long journey to take her as a second wife. And yet, I committed. Why? Because of love. Not "eros love", which the world calls love, and is just a tingle in your britches beyond your control, but "agape love", which God calls love and gives to those who will accept it. It was so clear to me in that time. God had brought His daughter to me and put His love for her in me. It was inexplicable, yet it was certain.

So, while the world answers with "falling in love" and "he needs her", I say those are perversions of the right answer, and that this way of thinking prevents us from seeing the marvelous image of God and mankind. I say the answer is she needs him, he needs her to need him, and unconditional and undeserved love given to him from God as an image of God's love for mankind is what responds by compelling the man to selflessly cover the weaker vessel. Woman gives man purpose. When He said, "It is not good for man to be alone," I believe He was demonstrating why He created mankind. In keeping with the image He was creating in making mankind male and female, but creating Adam first, He was essentially saying, "It is not good for God to be alone." What point is there in being male with no one to need all these muscles, drive, and cold logic? What point is there in being God with no one to need Him? He created us not to be served, but to serve, just like He is. The male serves the female through his acts of leadership, protection, and provision, just as God serves us...because He truly loves us. Love can't just exist. It is like electricity. It must flow to be of any substance. Otherwise it's just potential energy. Likewise, love must have an outlet, a receiver, or else it is void. The rest of His creation is expendable and was put in place solely for us, His bride, who He created solely for Him because love needs to be needed. We truly are fearfully and wonderfully made!

Thank you for articulating what I have been struggling to find the words for. My wife doesn’t understand why I would want another woman or how that doesn’t imply that she’s somehow a failure. Best I’ve come up with so far is that I wouldn’t TRADE her for anyone, and that I love LOVING her. Its because I love loving her that I would love to love someone else like her as well.

it immediately occurred to me, "I don't need either of you. That's not why I married you.
I married her for a very specific reason: she needed me.
Woman gives man purpose.
Eve was made for Adam.
As you said, Adam was made for Yah.
I know that this is a bit hard for women to embrace, but women need men while men don’t need them in the same way.

Great thoughts about this subject. When I married my wife, she was in a bad family situation and I took her out of there. I did love her immensely but I also felt a need to protect her from bad things going on. I do need her to complete me. She is my helper.

One of the questions she has asked as we've gone through this journey the last several months is "why do you need another wife", and one of the best answers I could come up with is that there is a woman out there that needs what I can provide. It's hard for wives to realize that they are not being replaced. God put it in our nature as men to be able to love, care for, and provide for more than one woman.

Last edited:
These are good answers and I can 100% relate to them. However, when I was many decades younger there was a simple biblical principle that was on my mind regarding my first wife; it is better to marry than to burn with passion. There are some things on a young man's mind not quite so noble or valiant as what you guys are saying yet it needs to be taken care of and having a wife was a really good idea at the time. My second I took because she wanted a Christian husband to protect and care for her and asked me to be that husband to her. If God gives me a third it would probably be for similar reasons but who knows...(?)

Not to be confused with "what qualities do you look for in a wife". Let me explain.

Several days ago, I was probing the minds of my wives to see where their submission was at on a topic I know to be a hill for them, the topic of me taking an additional wife. I do this occasionally whenever I feel led to examine them on this or other issues that normally lay dormant. One of them said to me, "If you feel you need many wives and God tells you to do so then I don't want to say no...." There's a lot to unpack in just that, as well as there was more that she said that also was discussion-provoking, but I want to focus just on this part and posit a question to you. Why do men marry women? When she said that, it immediately occurred to me, "I don't need either of you. That's not why I married you." But, just as fast, the next thought occurred to me, "Well then, why did I marry either one of them?"

An easy answer, which the fallen world claims, is that we marry for "love." The world doesn't know love and mistakes attraction and desire for love. Indeed, they do marry for that so-called "love", and their marriages disintegrate predictably when that attraction fades. Even many Christians marry for that same romantic reason, and then for various reasons cling slightly more tenaciously than their secular counterparts through the difficult times of dimishing desire, sometimes finding grace sufficient for their ignorance.

Another answer, which my wife thought, a thought which I know most Christians and the lost share in part for different reasons, is that a man needs a wife. God did say it is not good for Adam to be alone, and this is observable to us as well. Years ago I would have said this is certainly the answer. However, this answer's veil evaporates under the heat of polygyny to reveal what it truly is, a misunderstanding. It is, in fact, sometimes used as ammunition against polygyny: "How could a man need more than one wife? God said he needs one and only one." It is also a mantelpiece of Christian feminists, used to browbeat and usurp authority.

I want to present to you what I think is the answer, why a man should take any wife at all, and see what your thoughts are. Going back to my wife's reply, I'd like to point out that she is my second wife. I married her for a very specific reason: she needed me. But it goes beyond that. Human nature is to say to someone in need, "keep warm and well-fed", but do nothing to inconvenience ourselves. It was a great inconvenience to marry her. I knew it would be. I knew it would be difficult, costly, and a long journey to take her as a second wife. And yet, I committed. Why? Because of love. Not "eros love", which the world calls love, and is just a tingle in your britches beyond your control, but "agape love", which God calls love and gives to those who will accept it. It was so clear to me in that time. God had brought His daughter to me and put His love for her in me. It was inexplicable, yet it was certain.

So, while the world answers with "falling in love" and "he needs her", I say those are perversions of the right answer, and that this way of thinking prevents us from seeing the marvelous image of God and mankind. I say the answer is she needs him, he needs her to need him, and unconditional and undeserved love given to him from God as an image of God's love for mankind is what responds by compelling the man to selflessly cover the weaker vessel. Woman gives man purpose. When He said, "It is not good for man to be alone," I believe He was demonstrating why He created mankind. In keeping with the image He was creating in making mankind male and female, but creating Adam first, He was essentially saying, "It is not good for God to be alone." What point is there in being male with no one to need all these muscles, drive, and cold logic? What point is there in being God with no one to need Him? He created us not to be served, but to serve, just like He is. The male serves the female through his acts of leadership, protection, and provision, just as God serves us...because He truly loves us. Love can't just exist. It is like electricity. It must flow to be of any substance. Otherwise it's just potential energy. Likewise, love must have an outlet, a receiver, or else it is void. The rest of His creation is expendable and was put in place solely for us, His bride, who He created solely for Him because love needs to be needed. We truly are fearfully and wonderfully made!
I have to disagree with your negative assessment of attraction and romantic love. There is a big problem if they are all a couple has, but they still good things. God Himself created us this way. The Song of Solomon is a book of the Bible and it celebrates these things.

My parents will celebrate their fifty-fifth anniversary this year, and they are still sweetly "in love". That's clearly not all they have, but they still have a twinkle in their eyes for each other.

I have to disagree with your negative assessment of attraction and romantic love. There is a big problem if they are all a couple has, but they still good things.

If they are so good, why doesn't the New Testement speak of eros as good?

The problem in our society is romantic love is seen as the end-all be-all of relationships and it is wrong to marry someone you don't love and right to leave someone you no longer love. This is the #1 cause of divorce. It is the foundation of sand on which we've built marriage. It is seen as the only kind of 'love'. But this is not love as the New Testament knows it.

If they are so good, why doesn't the New Testement speak of eros as good?

The problem in our society is romantic love is seen as the end-all be-all of relationships and it is wrong to marry someone you don't love and right to leave someone you no longer love. This is the #1 cause of divorce. It is the foundation of sand on which we've built marriage. It is seen as the only kind of 'love'. But this is not love as the New Testament knows it.
If it is so worthless then why did the Holy Spirit breath out the Song of Solomon?

I didn't say it is the best or ultimate.. There are tons of good but not ultimate things.

Toast with jam is good.

The Bread of Life that came down from Heaven (the Son of God) is ultimate.

Earthly bread is still to be received with thanksgiving.

“Why did you marry your wife?”

Found her at an auction block in Istanbul, too good of a deal to pass up...
Best answer so far.

Reasons for marriage are many becausecpeople have many different needs. And some are more expressed in different moments.

If all we need from other people was just single thing it would already be automated. Want ego boost. Computer program tell you even day and in every sad moment how great you are?

Let's go on something simpler. Sex. Why have dolls and dildos already replaced real thing? Because sex provide us more that just "masterful mechanical stimulation".

“Why did you marry your wife?”

Found her at an auction block in Istanbul, too good of a deal to pass up...
It was those good, strong teeth, right?

...she needed me. But it goes beyond that. Human nature is to say to someone in need, "keep warm and well-fed", but do nothing to inconvenience ourselves. It was a great inconvenience to marry her. I knew it would be. I knew it would be difficult, costly, and a long journey to take her as a second wife. And yet, I committed. Why? Because of love. Not "eros love", which the world calls love, and is just a tingle in your britches beyond your control, but "agape love", which God calls love and gives to those who will accept it. It was so clear to me in that time. God had brought His daughter to me and put His love for her in me. It was inexplicable, yet it was certain.
This resonates strongly with my life in particular right now. Good stuff

This resonates strongly with my life in particular right now. Good stuff
I know I could never feel right about enjoying a wonderful husband....but knowing I prevented another woman from being as blessed.

Back