• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Why is a woman and her daughter/mother forbidden?

Am I correct that it is forbidden to marry both a woman and her daughter/mother?

If a woman is a widow it could be possible that her daughter from her previous husband is not genetically closely related to her first husband. (And in the old testament a man is allowed to marry his niece but not his aunt so even if he married his dead brother's widow the daughter would be his niece)

So why is a man forbidden from marrying both a woman and her daughter if there are no genetic defect genetic incest related grounds for the forbidding in some cases?

That is why is a man forbidden from marrying both a woman and her daughter if the woman's daughter is not the man's genetic daughter?

Probably for social reasons. The Mother Daughter relationship is distinct and should be maintained. A co/sister wife relationship is also distinct and needs to find its own dynamic.
The point is maintaining certain family relationships, (especially strong biological ones like Mother/daughter or father/son) but lesser familial links could probably be dispensed with. Since a Mother/child relationship is a stronger one than sisterwife.

Bels

This is not a hypothetical question:

If the daughter is adopted by the mother at birth, but she is now of legal age, is it OK for a totally unrelated man to marry the mother and adopted daughter?

(I say it is NOT ok, based on the fact that an adopted child should be treated the same as a biological child and as Bels noted there is still the mother/daughter relationship)

Next on Jerry Springer when a man marries a Mother and Daughter.

Featuring:

A womans who's is sleeping with her Step Dad. :eek:

Children who's Grampa is their Dad :eek:

Children who's siblings are their Neices and Nephews :eek:

A Mother who is sleeping with her daughters husband :eek:

A man who's Mother in Law is his Wife :eek:

...... However in shocking biblical truthes: a man may marry his brothers widow.

Child says "my siblings are my cousins" :eek:

Headline news: Woman spanks sister-wife. Claims, "She's still my daughter!"

Ewww, ewww, ewww..... :lol:

Awesome question and point made DiscussingTheTopic... Sadly, This same issue was already addressed, locked and removed (deemed not politically correct), so tread softly Friend! :shock:

Popped back in to see if my original posts on this topic were still locked or if anything had changed here... Stagnation is sad to see :cry:

Oh well, popularity with the world (and mans forums) is still way overrated!

(Jesus stood condemned, and that's always been enough for me too :D )

Glad to see you're trying to expand minds though... Bravo!

(maybe I'll check back in another year...?)

Since this is a Christian forum, we should just respect what the Bible has to say in these matters.

Lev. 18:17 is clear that a man is NOT to marry a woman and her daughter, and then in Lev. 20:14 you find the judgment for that sin. They are to be burned with fire (after their death I'm sure) an act that I'm sure added extra weight to the seriousness of the sin.

Where the verse about marrying sisters says the why, (to vex her) which may or not apply in a given situation, there is no reason given for the prohibition about a mother and daughter. I must add though, that I wouldn't want to share my hubby with any of my sisters, much as I do love them, and if the thought of sharing my hubby with my sisters in not one I like, I like the thought of sharing him with my mother even less! She didn't even like him at first, and I can well imagine the conflicts that having your mom as a co-wife could bring. I do however love the thought of having a sisterwife, and have even met someone I would be more then happy to share him with.

wadeduck58 said:
Sadly, This same issue was already addressed, locked and removed (deemed not politically correct), so tread softly Friend! :shock:

I have looked at joining a debate board myself, because these good folks moderating don't really seem to have the time, or desire to deal with controversial issues, and because the debate mods will ban people readily if they act like a donkey's rear end, no matter what religion they claim to be!

I would suggest, if you like asking taboo questions, or questioning Christianity's "sacred cow" doctrines, that you check out this site http://debatingchristianity.com

Jolene

DocInKorea said:
And yet, this thread is not locked.

Blessings,

Doc

And over a year old. I am guessing there may be some sour grapes at work here?

Joleneakamama said:
I have looked at joining a debate board myself, because these good folks moderating don't really seem to have the time, or desire to deal with controversial issues, and because the debate mods will ban people readily if they act like a donkey's rear end, no matter what religion they claim to be!

I would suggest, if you like asking taboo questions, or questioning Christianity's "sacred cow" doctrines, that you check out this site http://debatingchristianity.com
Good suggestion Jolene. This board cannot be all things to all people, it is first and foremost for the support of people in difficult situations in their lives, and then goes into theology in as much depth as is required to help people understand how to respond to these situations. We do have some deep theological discussions here, but heavy debate is a distraction from our primary purpose. There are a range of different forums on the internet, and I think it is an excellent idea to join multiple sites to debate different issues. If all the polygamy-minded folks just interacted with other polygamy-minded folks on a forum like this one, we would limit our opportunities to both influence others and learn from others. And we'd end up looking to the world like a weird closed cult.

So go forth and interact! :D

I went back and reread the thread that got locked.
my head is still spinning.

btw: w/d''s last post in the thread was his "goodbye" post. why would it matter that it was shut down (and rightfully so)?
I can happily live with the idea that it will be another year before he honors us with another dose of sarcasm delivered in Christian love.

further ponderings;
Sadly, This same issue was already addressed, locked and removed (deemed not politically correct), so tread softly Friend! :shock:
maybe I just missed that question, but I do not think it was ever specifically addressed.
this appears to me to just be an excuse for a drive-by snark.

I think bels called it correctly.

correction, I just noticed that he said that the thread had been removed, that may be. does he have the distinction of starting two threads, one locked and the other removed?
obviously "plays well with others".

as far as the original question, I will go with: because YHWH said it was a no-no.

Okay at risk of showing the inner sinner here.

Amongst us men there are sexual fantasies. There were no explicit rules for sleeping arrangements. So, (and I am going to take some risks here) without this being forbidden it would be possible that mom and daughter are having relations in the same bed, um with no real delay.

This may not be a pretty thought but we just need a numerical analysis of the number of wives and concubines to figure out that there might have been more than one in bed at a time.

I AM NOT A PROPONENT OF THIS, but as long as we are throwing out ideas....

Agree with Steve that it's banned because God said so. Also agree with Bels that the reasons for the ban are probably social.

Even today many poor families in third world countries all sleep in the same bed, kids and all, so in that situation I agree that there would be potential for extreme embarrassment with a mother and her daughter. Nothing to do with fantasies, just finances (unless you fantasise about having your mother-in-law in bed with you and your wife, in which case you might want to talk to a psychologist! :shock:). But plenty of problems would arise just during the day, before ever considering sleeping arrangements.

All of which maybe adds up to: 'Cause God ain't MEAN! :shock: :?

That would be weird. Nagging Mother-in-law in bed with you Yikes!! talk about killing the "mood"

Back