• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

why we are not courting at this time

Well, gentlemen, I AM a plig, and a yankee, and a honkie. In Hawaii and Guam, I'm a Haole, and in Taiwan a Gai-Jin. None of these terms, while pejorative to some folks, bother me personally.

But I understand that they do bother some folks, including some on this list, so will refrain from the use of "plig" here in future.

In the meantime, I apologize for having sidetracked this thread. It was not intentional. this is a good thread with a serious topic. I've gone back and changed my original post to remove the offending word. I've also done what I can to remove my other post on this side issue. I'll leave THIS post up today, but will remove it this evening. Hope y'all do the same, so we can get the discussion back on topic. :)

Mark C said:
So, while I would certainly agree that a decision to seek ANY wife should be made prayerfully, and with the intent to ensure provision, I'd have to agree that such considerations cannot be primary. All such blessing is ultimately from God regardless. And if His provision of a wife seems "early", on the other hand, I'd try to listen carefully..
amen, the will of our Lord is primary. part of what i am saying is lets focus on laying the foundation of provision for our families all of the while recognizing the reality that He may bring another alongside before we are fully "ready". as opposed to looking for relationships and then trusting Him (and them) to provide the finances.
somehow we are more drawn to trusting Him for our needs after we have made our choices in life :roll:
PS> "Courting" is an interesting word in any event. Sometimes we might be - and just have no clue at the time. ;)
yes, i enjoy having positive relationships as much as the next person. when being motivated by the desire to be liked we often avoid antagonistic subjects and do other positive things to, however subtly, appear in a good light to them. this is known as "courting their favor" even when done subconsciously. so, yes, on some level i probably will "court" the goodwill of everyone i care about being friends with. and if they are a single female......yup, "it just happened" did not occur in a vacuum. :lol:

I find it interesting that none of the existing wives have weighed in on this conversation. That is to say, the perspective of women would be interesting. For myself, I would have considered (and did) dating and marrying a man who was "dirt poor" so long as it was honest in the representation therein. My biggest issues would be the man's work ethic and not his gross salary. That being said, as a first wife now, I feel financial disclosure is important in the "dating" process. To be honest, it has saved us some serious trouble by admitting our financial realities. We are not dirt poor by any stretch of the imagination, but we sure are not rich. Some of the girls are looking for the ultra comfortable life and so being honest keeps the users away anyhow.

Now, having said that, we take a stance of not actively looking anyway. We just do not feel it is appropriate to hunt them down and pursue them, but rather wait for God to bring into our path the one who He has chosen for us. I think doing it that way keeps it honest since they learn us as a "friend" first and everything is easily on the table to see.

That said, I think there are honest women who would still marry into a family where finances were tight so long as the man was honest and hard working. My issue has always been not the amount of the paycheck, but the man's willingness to work. For example, I have known men who felt that working at McDonald's was beneath them. They would rather collect government benefits or send their wife out to work than take a "crap job". This is a man I would never consider. However, a man who finding no other jobs goes to flip burgers or pump gas, well, he is the one who shows he is willing to do what must be done and not let his foolish pride interfere with the provision for his family. That is a man who will win hearts. Men who use excuses to avoid work are men who should not be taking on other wives. There is a difference from looking for work and not finding it (or it being slow such as in trucking and construction trades) and men who sit home playing Playstation and use excuses to avoid getting an honest job. The Bible says it and I believe it applies to everyone that he who shall not work shall not eat. This applies to everyone and for women who are homemakers, their job is the care of the home and children.

I will tell you that for many years I was a SAHM and I took that job seriously. My home was clean, my children cared for, the groceries frugally bought, my freezer stocked, and dinners were made. I did not sit around watching soap operas and pursuing my own pleasures. Now I work a paying job (from home still though thankfully) and the children are older and assume many chores around the house... that is their job/work.

Ultimately it comes down to there are no bad jobs, only jobs badly done. Work ethic and a man's willingness to advocate therein for his family are far more important than actual amount of money. Understanding that, I would see no problem with a man taking on a wife when he was providing to the best of his abilities and was honest with the lady of the financial reality. If she is so shallow as to reject him for being "poor" despite him being a hard worker, then she was just looking for a free ride anyway and probably that would indicate the lady's character as not deserving of his affections anyway.

I hope other wives will give their perspectives.

Becca

a most excellent post, becca

the only thing i might possibly add would be a classification wherein the male has a low paying job and is just "putting in his time". not having the goal of being the provider but expecting the wives to make up the difference.
as i understand the word "patriarch", this aint him.
i want to be a patriarch when i grow up :) , and it is a word which actually means something. not a word that means what i might want it to mean.
(think "marriage", "constitution" and other words that are being given a "living, breathing" definition.)

Back