• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Wild At Heart

LOVED IT!

One of the first books to affirm me, as a man, despite being just that! Wild at heart!

NorthernWarrior said:
Any doctrinal issues?

Don't remember so but a) it's been a number of years, and b) I tend to take what I find sensible and ignore what I don't without quibbling too much when it comes to books.

Have to do that with most authors, and expect it to be done to me. We're none of us adding onto the canon of Scripture. *grin*

For example, I found John Grey's Mars & Venus books to be very helpful and to actually make an inadvertent case FOR PM, although he is an avid monogamist!

I read it and disliked it passionately, but I am a non conformist by nature. I think that there probably is a need for that kind of book on some level, but in reality the issue goes much deeper, which I believe is the lack of scriptural training for men from the time they can hear and stand on their feet. There are more meaningful TRUE stories of the passion and vigor and valor of men in the Bible that make anything that we can come up with pale in comparison.

I read to my sons the story of David who slew men and took their foreskins as payment for the woman that he wanted. THAT was a man. And I think the woman realized how MUCH he wanted to be her husband after that, yes it is gross, but he did just go out and get them. Those men LIVED! Slaying giants, catching foxes and tying their tails together, whacking philistines with jawbones, etc. They had their faults, but those men were MEN. Abram went and got back people's wives, he was FEARED in that area. David was known as the LION OF JUDAH, Joshua, etc. That is great reading. They used to chase people in battle until the sun went down!

Let a good man know that PM is allowed and accepted and blessed by God if he is strong enough to handle it, and see if we have any problems with the men being MEN, being good with money, not caring about professional sports, interested in caring for their families, not zoning out when the wife is talking, and all that stuff.

I don't know, it is not that bad of a book, I just always feel better reading God's Word, and there is so much in THAT, for me personally I just can't get into that type of book. Like I said, I am not a mainstream type of guy, so take it for what it is worth. I don't think the book is bad, I just naturally see those type of books as detracting or substituting for God's Word in the "christian" walk, so that is probably most of my problem with it, which is not fair i guess.

I read the companion book that his wife wrote called Captivating. I thought that she made some good points about self-esteem and forgiveness, but she talked about movies A LOT. I personally have been trying toget away from mirroring my esteem issues from movies and romanticism, so I didn't get as much out of it as most women whom I have talked to about the book.

I know that your question was only about Wild at Heart and not about Captivating, but I thought I'd put my 2 cents in anyway. Sometimes we read a book and then see something in it that we would love our spouse to learn in our timing and force the book, or the companion book, on them. That's probably the only reason why Paul read Wild At Heart in the first place. (We'll just not talk about the time I read a book about how husbands should treat their wives and highlighted all the things I wanted him to do for me. Silly me. I could have just prayed about it.)

I am a non conformist by nature.
I hear you there.

I can relate to your point Paul, there definitely is a movement to replace solid theology with a very open, opinionated, what some would call "Jesus Junk". While I think people voicing their opinions can be a very healthy thing for an individual, I highly doubt Ford would consider my opinion as qualified to design their cars. (Not that it precludes me from trying. Only 500 more attempts and I'll have the muffler down ;) )

The reason I ask is that the Mrs. was reading "Created to Be His Help Meet" and as we got into it, (I tend to leaf through her readings at times to understand what she's learning about, but I digress) the theology was gradually morphing into something which was less and less scripture based and more and more opinion.

That reminds me, I have to finish reading that ;)

When I first read Created To Be His Helpmeet five years ago, I was amazed by all the scripture that directed women's attitudes toward their husbands that I had never been taught in the church before! I was amazed and angered. I couldn't believe that somewhwere along the road, the church at large started blatantly ignoring chunks of scripture that speak directly to women and how they should treat their husbands, children and homes.

So I wondered what else in the Bible I was not getting from the church. I decided to read it for myself. Sounds simple, but I had never thought I had a reason to before. I wondered where I should start. Start at the begining. Next thing I know, I literally ran up to my husband and said, "I keep reading in this thing about all these men who had more than one wife at the same time and God didn't strike them down dead. He used them. He even said that one of them did right in His sight all the days of the priest and the priest gave him two wives. It obviously wasn't wrong in the OT. So where did it go wrong?" I totally thought that Paul was going to show me somewhere in the Bible that Jesus or someone did away with plural marriage, but he didn't. Little did I know, me bounding out of the room that night was an answer to prayer that Paul had been praying for over a year at that point.

Little did I know, me bounding out of the room that night was an answer to prayer that Paul had been praying for over a year at that point.

I am constantly amazed at primarily how God answers prayers. He never ceases to amaze me at how he can turn the proverbial lemons into lemonade using a lawnmower.

Finished. Very well done book and while not much more than an anecdotal look into what could be viewed as the male heart, the author steers clear of a lot of theology supposition that many modern authors undertake in order to justify their erroneous premise.

Overall, very refreshing. Now, onto the Return of the Great Depression... :p
(I suppose I need to finish Jay's book too...Very good so far Jay.)

Back