• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Wish dreams, a hindrance to community

steve

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Male
Dietrich Bonhoeffer, in his book "Life Together" says, "Every human wish dream that is injected into the Christian community is a hindrance to genuine community and must be banished if genuine community is to survive. He who loves his dream of a community more than the Christian community itself becomes a destroyer of the latter, even though his personal intentions may be ever so honest and earnest and sacrificial."

A family is the smallest subset of community and if someone’s wishes/dreams are more important than the community/family, it probably won’t work.
However, having said that, a vision or dream of what the community should look like is important. I guess that all have the same dream is where it is at.

Or, maybe cherishing the dream above the reality becomes detrimental because idealism wont work..... particularly if multiple people have idealisms that are at odds.

The dream can get us started, but then we need flixibility as the dynamic is much more realistic v idealistic.

It mostly won’t work when someone comes into the families dream with their own dream, not realizing that they are joining a family “already in progress”.

A people without vision will perish. A people with a thousand contradictory visions is divided and will fall.

Balance.

He sounds like an apologist for the kind of pointless dead churchian fellowship the German church was so famous for.

A people without vision will perish. A people with a thousand contradictory visions is divided and will fall.

Balance.

He sounds like an apologist for the kind of pointless dead churchian fellowship the German church was so famous for.
Ahh.... Dietrich Bonhoeffer is one of my heros, a pastor who stood in the gap ifor the Jews in Nazi Germany. It ultimately cost him his life. A martyr and true man of courage and commitment. May I be found so bold and unyeilding in the face of persecution.

Back