• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

General With or without the vest

Maddog

Male
It used to be that I wore a full suit with vest as a young wannabe preacher-boy. Today however I find it difficult to even wear a tie to church. Where is everybody else on this?

Church?
They don’t want my kind there.

It used to be that I wore a full suit with vest as a young wannabe preacher-boy. Today however I find it difficult to even wear a tie to church. Where is everybody else on this?
Church?
They don’t want my kind there.
@steve took the words right out of my mouth!

I used to make sure the whole family was dressed in good clothes for church, hair done nicely, good shoes, and the males often wore a tie or a bowtie.
Going to church used to be one of the most stressful times of the week for me. I hated it. It was a mad rush, could never find their good clothes no matter what I did, often could only find one shoe and then if I did find the other it was in the sandpit or outside in the mud.
Now, as long we're wearing clothes that are clean and without holes then I'm happy. The kids might not even wear shoes if they can't find them, gumboots or on the odd occasion bare feet.
I'm sure that sounds horrific to some, but the point is that we're all going to church, I'm not stressed out, and I actually get to learn about God without worrying and trying to calm myself down the whole time. I'm 100% sure that God does not care if I'm wearing my good clothes or not. He cares about my heart.

I was at a big name Bible conference some years back. The key speaker began by pointing out that with the current rules they had for speakers, they would have turned away John the Baptist and Paul the apostle from the pulpit.

It was my practice for nearly 20 years to wear a tie for preaching each Sunday but not for study groups etc. But then when they didn't like my biblical views on marriage that was the end of Sunday preaching and everything else with that assembly.

I just say to each their own as long as it's not showing too much skin. I wear jeans and a plain t-shirt to a church where the majority of men wear suits and the women wear nice dresses. Nobodies ever said anything and if they are it's behind my back lol

Back in the day, when I was a card-carrying member of semi organized Religion, the standard for us was respect for Yah. What you would wear to a friend’s wedding should be the minimum amount of respect for Him, other people don’t matter.

Nowadays, the only time that I wear long pants is if I am getting married, or it is below 0 degrees.

I grew up wearing slacks and button up shirts as a minimum for church, with occasional ties (1980s Washington State).

Then, I went to college in Oklahoma in the 1990s. People in the Bible belt dressed up more. I started wearing a tie (and occasionally a jacket and tie). Most men wore jacket and tie.

In the early 2000s I lived in Florida, back to khakis and button up or polo.
From 2008-2015 we were back in Washington, but in a church where people dressed up a little more, stills khakis and button up or polo. Then I got kicked out for talking about Biblical marriage.

The church we are in now is varied. Some of the older folks still dress up, and other people wear shorts and sandals. I won't wear shorts or sandals. That's about it.

Lately, I've been rocking the cargo pants (work, church, and colder weather) or cargo shorts (warm weather and not at work or church). They are more comfortable than jeans, and the pockets work better for pocket carrying a small handgun (9mm,. 380acp,.or .38sp), as well as knife, wallet, keys and phone.

My next comment is not church related, but regards society in general.

Overall, I think the trend towards casual dress has gone too far in our society. I like seeing people dressed up a bit.

I do like seeing ladies in dresses and skirts.

Nowadays, the only time that I wear long pants is if I am getting married, or it is below 0 degrees.
Haven't you worn out your pair of long pants by now, then?

😉

I think dress standards are a double-edged sword. On the one hand, I think it's good to bear in mind Whom will be present (lol, and I don't mean Grandma Schmidt's quilting club). On the other hand, I've also seen and (to my shame) taken part in judging folks for either not dressing up enough and not dressing down enough (yeah, been on both sides of that error).

For myself, I insist on something of a middle ground for myself and family: clean, in good repair, appropriate for the day's temperature (our building doesn't have AC and the furnaces are VERY old), and appropriate for what they're there to do (receive God's gifts, pray, praise, and give thanks). Beyond that, I don't think there's much good that comes when we insist on a dress code.

Last edited:
I think dress standards are a double-edged sword. On the one hand, I think it's good to bear in mind Whom will be present (lol, and I don't mean Grandma Schmidt's quilting club). On the other hand, I've also seen and (to my shame) taken part in judging folks for either not dressing up enough and not dressing down enough (yeah, been on both sides of that error).

For myself, I insist on something of a middle ground for myself and family: clean, in good repair, appropriate for the day's temperature (our building doesn't have AC and the furnaces are VERY old), and appropriate for what they're there to do (receive God's gifts, pray, praise, and give thanks). Beyond that, I don't think there's much good that comes when we insist on a dress code.

Just me but if you're wearing your best clothes to church then that's all that matters. Like the lady who put two pennies in the collection basket it wasn't much by other people's standards but for her she was doing her best. That's the part God cares about.

Back