• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Witness #2

House of 30? Are they mexican? lol, jk

Only if they all ride around in 2 cars.

donnag said:
Something about the 'married at 16' and' living in a house of 30' parts bother me.

It bothers me too.
Blessings,
Fairlight

donnag said:
Something about the 'married at 16' and' living in a house of 30' parts bother me.
by what standards would we judge her situation?

Well, as a sister, mother and grandmother, for me. I don't remember thinking my sisters, myself, my daughter and definitely not my granddaughters as being anywhere near marriageable material when they were still children, and 16 is still a child in this age and culture. Isn't it illegal to marry anyone less than 17 or 18 in most states?

I remember my son, when describing a girlfriend around that age, as 'very mature' for her age. We didn't know whether to laugh, cry or smack him.

Aren't most kids still in school when they're 16 and who would want to marry a kid anyway?

That's my first observation.

You can't even get a drivers Lisc., join the military or sign legal docs when you're that young...Wonder why anyone would be thinking of marrying a girl that young??????

"Isn't it illegal to marry anyone less than 17 or 18 in most states?"

Actually no...and even younger with parental consent.

But I personally think a woman should be at least 18 before marrying.

In the United States, all but two states require a couple be age 18 in order to marry without parental consent. Nebraska sets the age at 19 and Mississippi at 21 at the time of this writing (May 2003). A few states will waive this requirement if there is a pregnancy involved, but the couple may still have to have court approval.

God Bless Nebraska and Mississippi.

www.coolnurse.com

In my province the same as Bountiful, B.C.
  • legal consenting age is 14yrs
    legaly able to marry with out concent is 19yrs
    drivers licence starts at 16 but we have a long process that you couldn't be fully licenced till 17

I'm 27 and can't drive, :oops: so I guess I'm not old enough to be married he he. I got engaged on my 19th birthday; my lovely mother inlaw thought it was a good idea. But we were living together. No throwing tomatoes :lol: I'm a repented believer.

That was yesturday and this is today

"Canada's law against plural marriages dates back to 1890, but enforcing it remains difficult because charges might not withstand Canada's Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

In fact, polygamists haven't been prosecuted in Canada in over 70 years."
http://news.aol.ca/2011/01/27/plural-wi ... continues/

This articil contains some intresting links to alot of the same from Utah's watching us, and more, hope it's imformitive.

:( :( :( "About six months later, her husband visited the U.S. to marry a 15-year-old girl. Today, her family consists of five wives and 24 children. "

Well I have no words...... 14 years old huh? I'm trying to remember my daughter and her friends at 14. They were silly kids who giggled a lot. Wife material????? Making a serious life time commitment material???? Finished with basic education???? I just don't get it. I don't recall that they could even carry on an intelligent conversation...too much giggling.

donnag said:

But does it bother her? Does she feel like she made a mistake? Is she happy?

donnag said:
Well, as a sister, mother and grandmother, for me. I don't remember thinking my sisters, myself, my daughter and definitely not my granddaughters as being anywhere near marriageable material when they were still children, and 16 is still a child in this age and culture.

I do not think there is one monolithic culture. I am guessing that her culture was/is very different than yours.

Isn't it illegal to marry anyone less than 17 or 18 in most states?

It is 16 in Texas with parental permission and they just recently moved it up from 14 when the FLDS started settling here.

Aren't most kids still in school when they're 16 and who would want to marry a kid anyway?

My daughter is 16. She will be graduating in May. Why can she not get married if she wants to and a good man makes himself known (granted that would be a miracle)? I know that is her hearts desire: to be a wife and mother.

My Mother in law got married at 14 and they recently celebrated their 50th anniversary. I do not think you can generalize and say it is wrong for everyone without knowing the people involved.

I think anyone involved in a polygamy situation should not marry anyone under 18 because it is asking for trouble, but I do not think that it is immoral, otherwise the Bible would say that it is wrong.

In our culture, our children are children until they are 18 (some even longer.) Mostly we raise them that way. We love to see them and hear them giggling and we dread when they become boy-crazy and start to wonder about adult activities.

In other countries and other generations, girls were raised from very early to become young women, wives and mothers. At 14 a young lady very likely knew her way around a house, could cook for an army of field hands and could keep a bunch of children in check while feeding the chickens and weeding the garden.

I was a giggling 14 year old too. I wouldn't have wanted to be married at 14. But if I had been raised that way it would have been perfectly natural for me to follow how I was raised. That is the difference and why it should not be for the government to say. If parents are doing their jobs, they know better than anyone what their children are ready for.

If I had children I would prepare them for marriage but still want to keep them children as long as possible. We only get those years for so long. But it is not for me to tell anyone else how to raise their children.

SweetLissa

"If parents are doing their jobs"

Ahh...the crux of the majority of problems...

Sweetlissa,

I don't disagree at all. My thing is that if you wish to go against the 'norm' for your culture you are asking for a tough life, that's all. Also, over the years I have met many women who married at around 16 or so and almost without exception they all think it was a huge mistake because once you start a family it pretty much stifles any further education, travel and career ambitions. That's all I'm trying to point out. If you start a family at 16 it's pretty much your job for 20 years and anyone that young has a lot of growing up to do too. When I was in college I saw how hard the mothers with small children struggled with their school work and raising their kids....I just think it makes for a better growing environment if the children are brought into this world with parents who are prepared to give them the best life and most opportunities possible, that's all.

Do you think I was being argmentative? I didn't mean it to come out that way at all. Only pointing out cultural differences.

I know many who married young who wanted nothing more than to have a family and never had the desire for more. They were happy and fulfilled all the days that I knew them.

I was on the other side. I was raised to have an education and a career. I fought that tooth and nail and somehow believed I was a nobody until I married and had children. I fought the two aspects of my life most of my adulthood. By doing that, I put my life on hold and never completed my education or had children.

Who knows? I just know that I wish I had done things differently. I wasted a lot of years, searching for myself.

I believe that each parent must know his or her children well so that they can determine which course is the most appropriate. Cnystrom says his daughter wants to be a wife and mother. If they know their daughter well enough to know that it is truly what will make her happy over the long haul then they shouldn't force her into higher education. If a parent knows that their child needs more education before making lifelong choices, then they should steer the child that way.

My parents applied a cookie cutter to the children in our family. It worked for some, not so much for others. It is really about raising children to be the adults that God intends them to be. If I have a child that is very talented in some way, it is my responsibility to see that talent nurtured because God gives us our talents. I didn't find out my talents until just the past few years, because I was put into the cookie cutter mold and told to conform to the world, instead of finding out what I was really created for. What I now believe to be my talents, my family considered to be weaknesses.

So the job is on the parents to raise their children the way God wants us to. This is not a cookie cutter either. It is about knowing our children inside and out and knowing God's plan for them.

I am not arguing with you Donnag. I am wishing that my parents had known me well enough to know what was best for me. Not just applied the current day's thinking to raising me. Years later they realized that I needed something different, but by then the damage was done. I couldn't go back and recreate those years.

Anyway, there are no easy answers. The best answer is to listen to God and let him guide you as to what is right for the children.

SweetLissa

Somewhere along the line we as Christians have bought into the idea that being a wife, mother and homemaker is a lesser occupation. Such is not true. We should keep in perspective the value of each woman and God's leadership in her life, unique and wonderful.

Back