• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Wives

Two wives is 100% more then many manage to keep these days.
There are not enough hours in the day for this scenario to do marriage and family the way I believe it should be done.
I think the vast majority of people in the states would feel this way. Of course my hubby's dad had three wives, not at the same time, and there are about 20 children. Some might be critical of the way big families are raised, but those that are rarely demonstrate how they think it should be done.

I am sure anyone that has many children can just imagine the difficulty in juggling multiple personal relationships....and would not be enthusiastic about trying to keep up with twenty!!

I gotta admit, I find it funny, but not humorous, that many here are saying, "20 is too many."

Let's try a math-type proof.

Let x = maximum permitted number of wives.
Let y = individual number of wives for person z.

For every person 'z', if y>x then:
Bad husband, bad!

If person 'z' is a member of Church 'xtianity', then: x=1.
If person 'z' is a member of BF, then: x= ???
And, 'says Who?'

PS> I don't actually claim this is a 'proof'. BUT I will suggest that Isaiah 4:1 suggests x >= 7

Last edited:
No number is "too many". But in practical historical terms, the vast majority of men have 1-3 wives. Only people who have vast wealth, such as kings, or too much influence over people's minds, like self-proclaimed prophets, end up with 20 wives. So in practice, unless he's met some dodgy cult leader, it's a crazy claim that's probably completely made up just to see how we would respond.

Two wives is 100% more then many manage to keep these days.

I think the vast majority of people in the states would feel this way. Of course my hubby's dad had three wives, not at the same time, and there are about 20 children. Some might be critical of the way big families are raised, but those that are rarely demonstrate how they think it should be done.

I am sure anyone that has many children can just imagine the difficulty in juggling multiple personal relationships....and would not be enthusiastic about trying to keep up with twenty!!

I wasn't going to say anything, @Mark C, but you flushed me out!

I don't think the model we are given throughout scripture is of personal relationships the way we think of them. I think only if you shed that construct does the notion start to make sense of 1,000 women and who knows how many offspring, with eunuchs and maidservants to tend to them. Several other mentions of the interactions of men with their women start to be less shocking and confusing if you disregard our particular notion of the flavor of personal relationships. Particularly the Proberbs 31 woman who is more or less running her own show.

That said, I am not a patriarch of old! I was raised more or less like you guys. I am like one on the outside looking in. I do not understand it, I have cultivated personal relationships with my wives and thoroughly enjoy those, and I agree with @Joleneakamama and most here who say that multiplying the number of wives is mind-boggling. Would take a different sort of man than most have seen (except the OP, apparently).

I don't think the model we are given throughout scripture is of personal relationships the way we think of them. I think only if you shed that construct...Several other mentions of the interactions of men with their women start to be less shocking and confusing if you disregard our particular notion of the flavor of personal relationships. Particularly the Proberbs 31 woman who is more or less running her own show.
Great point. I have never actually considered that option, but realize that it makes sense, from the perspective of what I think is coming anyway, whether we're ready or not:

I have met several independent, intelligent, capable, even 'sexy' women in my lifetime who would make a great wife, but would not actually, for whatever reasons, consider what most think of as that arrangement.

But, at least one or two, with a Biblical mindset, might actually consider a "headship" relationship; occasional companionship, even loving sex, and a steady shoulder to cry or rely on. I guess it doesn't have to include "full-time, live-in." Just a relationship of trust according to principles we should all know.

PS> The more I think about it, the more that makes sense with Isaiah 4:1: "I'll eat my own food, provide my own clothing, shelter," just "take away my reproach" and do 'some other husbandly things for me...'

Up here on the Mesa, way out in the Boondocks...I can envision ( :) ) some self-sufficient women who might buy their own place, be able to handle 90% of what they need day-to-day, but appreciate a Scriptural head, with abilities to fill-in-the-gaps that will always make sense in an "extended family". Food for thought.

Last edited:
A lot of men fail to love their one wife, if they have one, as scripture teaches them to. That's why God put it in the Bible.

The relationships that we have today cannot happen if we have the proverbial 700 wives scenario but in contrast to that even the master polygamist had his fantasy fav in Song of Solomon. I know we have lost something here in our societal culture translation but i do enjoy my wife being my bestest friend and not just a means of creating new life.

I personally feel that would be excessive in almost every case. How would he adequately love, care, and spend time with each wife? I hope he’s loaded with money.
Was it excessive for David? The Scriptures mention 17 or 18 wives & concubines for him, which isn't to say he didn't have more.

I personally don't desire so many, but who are we to say 20 is too many for him?

Was it excessive for David? The Scriptures mention 17 or 18 wives & concubines for him, which isn't to say he didn't have more.

I personally don't desire so many, but who are we to say 20 is too many for him?
Yes, and the responses above indicate most think within a western/American cultural setting. There is life in other places on planet earth!

Yes, and the responses above indicate most think within a western/American cultural setting. There is life in other places on planet earth!
Problem with original post is simple.

Author is claiming that he saw something like 3 or 4 sigma from norm (in sense of normal/Gauss distribution) at least. He also claims that there were all together which probably adds another sigma.

Hoe much of current population has 20 wives? 0.001% Or should I add another zero? I don't doubt possibility of 20 wives, after all Ottoman Sultans had larger harems. I doubt luckieness of author.

This is extraordinary claim which requires more evidence than simple post.

Also most men aren't going to have more than 3/4 wives. No wonder people can't imagine how to treat more wives when this can't be observed or people don't have exposure. Such opportunity will come to less than 1% men.

I've heard stories like that from people chatting to taxi drivers from Africa. So i suspect, if it is true it could be someone from Africa where polygyny is much more common and legal. I agree it would be a huge amount of woman to manage but would still be a similar amount to King David.

Why is everyone limiting the view
Who is “limiting the view”, and how are they doing it?

Why haven’t you responded with any of the details after being called out on this?

Edit; The fact that you won’t let us see your profile makes you look increasingly sketchy.
That’s for the protection of women, imo.

The thing that is sketchy to me and I think all of they guys here with multiple wives or who have lived polygyny will back me up on this...

You would never and I mean Never have any idea where that one shirt or your favorite pair of boots went...where the hell is the book I was reading just two nights ago? Who has my bloody credit card? Has anyone seen my tablet!?!
Oh my God! Do I really have to personally put fuel in every single one of your cars?

Till you have lived it, you can not understand

Back