• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Women and Covered Hair

sixth_heretic said:
Scipture says nature it'self teaches that it's a shame for man to have long hair. Considering that from all appearances Paul took a Nazarite vow, what exactly is meant by that. Also consider Samson wasn't ever supposed to cut his hair, or were anyone who took the vow to cut their hair, how do we reconcile those?

Dude you took the arguement right out of my mouth. So I will just add this.

Lev.19
[27] Ye shall not round the corners of your heads, neither shalt thou mar the corners of thy beard.

Thats right it is a commandment to have long hair. The differance between this and the nazzerite vow in lev 19 27 you can cut it to one length unlike the numbers six where you can not cut it at all.

Hello,

"Ye shall not round the corners of your heads..." is not a command to have long hair! It was a command to not allow their hair to grow long and be cut like the heathens around them (Thalia, sive, l. 3. c. 8. (c) Moreh Nevochim, par. 3. c. 37. Hilchot Obede Cochabim, c. 12. sect. 1.). This actually establishes the principle of "identification", by the way. God does not want His people being identified with the wicked. We are to not look like the rebellious!

This particular hair cut is where the extremities of the hair of the head is cut round about, so that the circumference of one's head is found to be round all about, as if being cut with a bowl over one's head.

The Egyptians, the Maimonides, and other groups cut their hair in this manner in order to honor their gods. Herodotus (3, 8) tells us that the Arab tribes cut their hair this way in honor of their god Ὀροτάλ - Orotal. This was in order to resemble the celestial globe.

The "Historical-Grammatical" method of interpretation really helps out with passages that seem to say one thing when in actuality say something quite different.

"Ye shall not round the corners of your heads..."

So you have told me what this is not. then what style of hair should I have according to this. I do not wish to be vain. and Nature (not God) says I should have short hair So I assumed I should go the other way with it. So what kind of hair does god want me to have. I have not rounded the corners of my head as I have let my hair grow as I have with my beard. Then am I fullfilling scripture. I found these scripture by myself and no one could give me the full understanding of them so I have done the best I could applying these scriptures to the best of my understanding. So If you have more knowledge then me please impart it unto me for I am starving for it. I have sought this information for years. I trim my hair but will not cut it shorter then shoulder length as I also trim my beard but keep it all one length. I felt like this standard would fulfil the requirements of the above scripture. Does this contradict any scriptures to your understanding as I am trying desperatly to separate myself from the world in every way the word of God alows. thank you and god bless you.

Depending who you talk to that means so many different things.
Orthodox Jews say it means not to cut your sideburns, thus the ringlettes.
Karaites say it means simply not to make bald spots in mourning for the dead, as some societies in that area still shave either parts or all of their head in mourning for the dead to this day. They have no problem with how you cut your hair as long as it's not some sort of heathen ritual or in mourning for the dead.
As with everything else, opinions are like an ass, everyone has one, and everyone thinks thiers is the best.

If I continue doing what I am doing I will not contradict scripture? That is my only real concern. I want to do the least of the commandments. I appreciate your help and insight.

Back