• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

WOMEN AND JEWISH LAW by Rachel Biale

A

Anonymous

WOMEN AND JEWISH LAW
The Essential Texts,
Their History,
and Their Relevance for Today

The author does a great job of presenting Torah texts concerning marriage. She explains how marriage is a unilateral contract and discusses what the rabbis of various eras had to say about it. She also discusses how this applies to divorce and that only a man can initiate divorce. I only lightly skimmed the areas of the book where she discussed the Talmud since I don't consider that Scripture. History buffs might enjoy that section as it provides historical insight into what the rabbis throughout history were saying on the subject. This is one of the few books that I recommend to those who have a new interest in what the Bible says about marriage. I simply caution the reader to consider only those areas of the book that are based on the Torah.

My reason for recommending this particular marriage book is that it gives the Christian an understanding that whatever they think the Old Testament said about marriage, it did not forbid a man from having more than one wife. All those verses about Adam, David, whoever, none of those were ever quoted by Rabbis against polygamy, at least not until the influence of misled Christians. Jesus forbade divorce to men who've got no balls. Something that seems to escape the modern reader. It astounds me how Bible study groups in churches can discuss eunuchs as if it was nothing! What???

Matthew 19:12
For some are born from their mother's womb without balls: and there are some whose balls have been removed by other men, and there are some who've had their balls removed for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it.

Who? Men without balls.

That's it. All I did was substitute the English phrase that defines eunuch.

But if that doesn't clarify it for you. Read Rachel Biale's book. Women and Jewish Law.

Jesus forbade divorce to men who've got no balls. Something that seems to escape the modern reader. It astounds me how Bible study groups in churches can discuss eunuchs as if it was nothing! What???

Matthew 19:12
For some are born from their mother's womb without balls: and there are some whose balls have been removed by other men, and there are some who've had their balls removed for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it.

Who? Men without balls.

That's it. All I did was substitute the English phrase that defines eunuch.

But if that doesn't clarify it for you. Read Rachel Biale's book. Women and Jewish Law.

Mathew 19:1-12

19 Now when Yeshua had finished these words, He moved on from the Galilee and entered the region of Judea beyond the Jordan. 2 Large crowds followed Him, and He healed them there. 3 Pharisees came up to Yeshua, testing Him and saying, “Is it permitted for a man to divorce his wife for any reason at all?”

4 “Haven’t you read?” He answered. “He who created them from the beginning ‘made them male and female’ a 5 and said, ‘For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.’ 6 So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no man separate.”

7 They said to Him, “Why then did Moses command to ‘give her a certificate of divorce and put her away?’”

8 Yeshua said to them, “Because of your hardness of heart Moses permitted you to divorce your wives, but from the beginning it was not so. 9 Now I tell you, whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery.”

10 The disciples said to Him, “If that’s the case for a man and his wife, it’s better not to marry!”

11 But He said to them, “Not everyone can accept this saying—only those to whom it has been given. 12 For there are eunuchs who were born that way from their mother’s womb; and there are eunuchs who were made that way by men; and there are eunuchs who made themselves eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. He who can accept this, let him accept it.”

Context of the Eunuch story is not divorce its marriage. Though I do agree most miss the intended lesson of the story. Some men are born lacking something. Some men have that same thing taken from them and that changes them. Some men simply don't have the ability to do something in a way would not be a detriment to the Kingdom of God. A bad testimony.

What's that something that's missing, taken/lost, or given up for the sake of the kingdom (to not be a bad testimony to it)? Leadership qualities. The ability to lead a family. That's the reason its better for some not to marry. If the cant lead they shouldn't marry.

Yeshua did not forbid divorce to men who've got no balls in this verse. Basically it was telling Men who have no balls not to marry.

Last edited:
Yeshua did not forbid divorce to men who've got no balls in this verse. Basically it was telling Men who have no balls not to marry.
Interesting

Back