• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Women, how do you feel about the forum?

Why do you not post outside the Ladies Only section of the forum?

• I don't have time.

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I'm not interested in the topics.

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • I'm worried that I will be attacked for my opinion.

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • I don't feel I have enough biblical knowledge to participate or add anything helpful.

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • I choose to talk to my husband/father about biblical matters, rather than asking a question here.

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Way too much testosterone around here!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't like using internet forums at all, I only like chat and private messaging.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I already comment outside the Ladies Only section and feel comfortable doing so.

Votes: 8 40.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
These were not women getting into a debate with the men. These were not MEAT discussions. These weren't pulling apart scripture to it's bare bones discussions.

We're not asking for men to suddenly put on kid gloves or turn the other way if we post something unscriptural, or if we choose to get into one of the heavier debates. There aren't many of us on here that actually want to be involved in those discussions at all. There is so much more to the forum than the ladies only section, and not all of it is solid debates. We should be able to post in other places and share our personal stories and be able to help others without fear of being attacked. Surely this isn't actually asking for much?

But we have the impression that you are asking us to put on the kid gloves or look the other way because so many point to the 'Just an observation' thread as evidence of the problem; because for many of us, that was the first time this issue was made public.

The 'Just an observation' thread is a different context from women sharing personal stories. In that thread she stepped into the arena to push her own views on submission, views I personally found to be extremely dangerous, and then she got offended when people rightfully pushed back on them. She got offended at me and I was already handling her with kid gloves; I'd have come down much much harder on a man in the same situation.

Some women took from that thread they would be attacked if they contributed, but that is a mistaken impression. And even the impression of attack in that thread is mistaken (mostly, there was some there, but they came after she was acting offended for people disagreeing with her in ways that weren't attacks). It's not an attack to criticize the teachings of someone on marriage or theology. But women have a tendency to confuse disagreement with someones ideas with person attack. They also have a tendency to confuse generic statements of theological ideas as personal attacks on them (even though the person making the statement doesn't know it would even apply to them).

There is something else not being being discussed here that needs to be.

We all identify as Christians here. That means we believe that people are imperfect and sometimes do the wrong thing. If someone treats you wrongly you could use that as a reason to run and hide. Or you (or a friend on your behalf) could talk to them about it so that they have a chance to repent, reconcile and grow. That's what Christ would have us do... go to your brother who wronged you, confess your sins to one another, rejoice in repentance and build one another up.

It would also give you a chance to find out that maybe it was just a misunderstanding. Some of this does come down to simple misperception. It may be that the person didn't mean it the way you took it. Or it could be that, like the 'just an observation' thread, you're making a category error.

Last edited:
In Many respects I saw my question as rhetorical because I don’t believe there is any justification for this in a public forum

What concerns me is labeling someone as a threat ( for whatever reason ) then justifies the personal attack
Not a defensive argument ,a personal attack
getting back to the original post questions. Results are 50% of woman are worried they will be attacked for their opinion.
It’s an easy transition from “ you are a threat” to “ anything goes , I’m defending the faith”
Standing by as someone explains their life strategy that I don’t believe in , is not weak
Not being able to hold yourself back from a personal attack is not a sign of strength

But we have the impression that you are asking us to put on the kid gloves or look the other way because so many point to the 'Just an observation' thread as evidence of the problem; because for many of us, that was the first time this issue was made public.

The 'Just an observation' thread is a different context from women sharing personal stories. In that thread she stepped into the arena to push her own views on submission, views I personally found to be extremely dangerous, and then she got offended when people rightfully pushed back on them. She got offended at me and I was already handling her with kid gloves; I'd have come down much much harder on a man in the same situation.

Some women took from that thread they would be attacked if they contributed, but that is a mistaken impression. And even the impression of attack in that thread is mistaken (mostly, there was some there, but they came after she was acting offended for people disagreeing with her in ways that weren't attacks). It's not an attack to criticize the teachings of someone on marriage or theology. But women have a tendency to confuse disagreement with someones ideas with person attack. They also have a tendency to confuse generic statements of theological ideas as personal attacks on them (even though the person making the statement doesn't know it would even apply to them).

There is something else not being being discussed here that needs to be.

We all identify as Christians here. That means we believe that people are imperfect and sometimes do the wrong thing. If someone treats you wrongly you could use that as a reason to run and hide. Or you (or a friend on your behalf) could talk to them about it so that they have a chance to repent, reconcile and grow. That's what Christ would have us do... go to your brother who wronged you, confess your sins to one another, rejoice in repentance and build one another up.

It would also give you a chance to find out that maybe it was just a misunderstanding. Some of this does come down to simple misperception. It may be that the person didn't mean it the way you took it. Or it could be that, like the 'just an observation' thread, you're making a category error.
Boom!

In Many respects I saw my question as rhetorical because I don’t believe there is any justification for this in a public forum

What concerns me is labeling someone as a threat ( for whatever reason ) then justifies the personal attack
getting back to the original post questions. Results are 50% of woman are worried they will be attacked for their opinion.
It’s an easy transition from “ you are a threat” to “ anything goes , I’m defending the faith”
Standing by as someone explains their life strategy that I don’t believe in , is not weak
Not being able to hold yourself back from a personal attack is not a sign of strength
So does this post qualify as a personal attack? Aren’t you doing the very thing I am talking about here? By the way I approve. This is a good thing. It may be though that your exercise in defensive (or offensive) actions seems more legitimate to you because you’re doing it?

Again, I’m excite to see another man engage his brother over the things he thinks are important. But you have to accept when others do too.

My opinion on that particular thread is that she was posting an opinion and a particular viewpoint, (which she’s entitled to even if its wrong) and multiple guys jumped on the one or two items that are their own personal trigger, and proceeded to absolutely ruin a thread that had all kinds of upside potential for encouraging discussion with the women about what is probably the largest hurdle most families have in realizing a plural family.

IF I could double, triple, quadruple LIKE this one, I would because it's slam dunk spot on!!!!! BAM! This is exactly what happened. Then because her husband read what was being said about his wife by other men--name calling, labeling, questioning her salvation, just because her definition of submission didn't dot her "i's" and cross her "t's" like they want it in their home, she was "poison" "ungodly" "bad influence" and the list could go on--and HE stood up for her, covered her--now he's the bad guy! Really?!? What's being said by all of this is that if the man is a man's man, a real Patriarch who stands at the door of his tent, protects his woman from other men who have a mouth and little sense of decency, not only is his wife not welcome in this Biblical Families community, he isn't either!

I'm going to have to think twice the next time I welcome a newbe before I tell them they've found a wonderful group of people who love each other, and tell them they should feel comfortable interacting with us as they're seeking and seaching for answers! :( :mad::confused:

So Zec
What was the justification for labeling Her as Poison?
In not inappropriately combative
How did you get to that point of her being labeled by you?

I get frustrated when there is a glimmer of hope that there will be a new point or perspective
And then the same old people jump in defending the same points they have made many times over the last ten years
Effectively sucking the oxygen out of the room and killing any possibility of a fresh perspective
How do we encourage new people with a different perspective if when they turn up they get smashed because they are new and different .
You have nailed it! As you also did in another post quoted on an earlier page in this thread! THANK YOU!

Reactions: MrB
There is information you may not be privy to. I’m not defending his statement @ZecAustin is more than capable of that but you should be careful wading into something you may not have all the information about.
So you make yourself sound like you're the authority on the issue--really!?! You got more info than her friends do that spend time on the phone with her? You got more information than her own husband has? Sooooo much more information that you'd present yourself to the rest of this community as being justified in calling out another brother in the community when he is laying down a principle(s) that have been grossly violated in this issue! @MrB may NOT have ALL the information. I doubt any one of us have it all except the man and wife who have been thrown under the bus and are seriously hurting! I say that having some very close contact in the matter and knowing I don't have all the information.

You, sir, are reprimanding @MrB for expressing his thoughts and "for wading into something you may not have all the information about"; yet obviously both @ZecAustin and you think you're justified "for wading into something you may not have all the information about" and have set yourself up as a judge as to who else can/should or can not/should not wade "into something they may not have all the information about." Just wonder'n--either of you have some special super powers we all don't know about? Did someone appoint either of you as guardian(s) over this very diverse community embracing plural families to make sure a free voice is not heard or a dissenting opinion is not encouraged on these threads?

You, sir, are reprimanding @MrB

That was not a reprimand. It was a word of caution in an attempt to calm the emotional responses such as the one you just posted.

I also very clearly stated that I was not defending Zec’s statements or did you chose to ignore that part of my post?

So you make yourself sound like you're the authority on the issue--really!?!
No I chose my words very carefully because I am not an authority on the issue. As far as what information I have I’m not going into it here.

Did someone appoint either of you as guardian(s) over this very diverse community

No they didn’t and I wasn’t acting like one. @MrB is more than capable of ignoring my caution and there is absolutely nothing I can do about it. Again my post was an attempt at calming things down. Not trying to stir the pot or claim some authority that I don’t have.

I apologize if what I said came across the wrong way. And I apologize if it was offensive to you and others.

I thought Christ told us to love and respect everyone, if we can't we are supposed to say nothing just wipe the dust off our feet and walk away. you will never win a person to Christ by holding a iron fist over them.
He did! On the other hand, those who were bent on controlling, who were coercing into subjection by force, who were unwilling to love others in spite of being different from the perceived status quo--the Sadducees and the Pharisees--he called them snakes, vipers, white sepulchres!!!

He also said in Proverbs that "the law of kindness should be on our tongues". I agree with @Keith Martin that real love isn't always "sugar and spice and everything nice". "Faithful are the wounds of a friend." "The kisses of the enemy are deceitful." Tough love often has to hurt before it helps. Walking away is often seen as a cop out, an escape route from stepping up to deal with the real deal. It often leaves someone else to have to do what you should have. The key in all of this is LOVE--THE LITMUS TEST. It doesn't matter how tall your high horse is, how far you ride it, how loud you blow your own horn about whatever you think everyone else around you needs to hear--when you're finally done making sure you're heard and have been noticed, if you didn't pass the Litmus Test, its all just sounding brass and tinkling symbols! As you dismount, ya might want to take a look around at the debris field and carnage left in your wake.:eek::(

Jesus called together a motley crew of 12 very unlikely men, who left to themselves would most assuredly never have joined together for a common cause. His love, forgiveness, love, long suffering, love, patience, love, seeing their potential instead of getting stuck on who they were when He called them, love, instructing in meekness, love--eventually molded, welded, and cast a body of believers that turned the world upside down!! Can we not look around us at the wonderful diversity shared in this BF community and with the same vision under His umbrella of truth work together to once again turn this world upside down?!?!

Again, I find myself agreeing with much of what you are stating! Yesterday I thought on this issue as I drove. This lady had the courage to share submission as she and her husband live it out in their home. She knew it was not a popular viewpoint, but still she had the courage, took the risk, and felt like she had the freedom to do so in this "marriage ministry forum". I realized that what she did took a fair amount of strength from the female gender. Often we don't like confrontation, at times go to great lengths to avoid it, would often prefer being the peacekeeper, or even just stuff it down instead of deal with something considered controversial. IMO, the fact that she stepped into this arena demonstrates a great deal of strength. She did not accuse anyone, name call, belittle, shame, malign, or call out any other family on the forum who might not agree with what she was sharing. She gave a definition of submission by way of an ensample (not example)--difference being a living demonstration of said concept. Yet those who felt threatened are the very ones who have done exactly what I said she did not do. If who you are or what you believe is so fragile or weak that you cannot encounter a difference of opinion, a difference in lifestyle, an exposure diametrically opposed to what you stand upon without coming unglued, becoming defensive, spewing venom, freaking out, treating a fellow human being like crap, then I would strongly suggest a look in the mirror to determine who is thin skinned. Her "combative" stance, self-defense mode, and that of her husband as well, surfaced once she was attacked.

The healthy discussion which could have ensued with dialogue from various places in the world on "what is submission?", "what does it look like?" "why is it important?" "where is it important?" and probably so much more got lost in the weeds and was choked out by the personal attack accusing the one who wished to have dialogue of "being a threat", "poison", "the thing you call a wife", etc.

The kind of self-appointed leader who mounts his own high horse because he thinks he's identified a threat because of his own weakness or fears and then transitions into "anything goes, I'm defending the faith" (circle the wagons boys, load yer guns, follow me, we'll rout the blasted scoundrels) is the type of leader who will lead an entire group into an ambush, be flanked by the real enemy, and get 'em all killed.

That was not a reprimand. It was a word of caution in an attempt to calm the emotional responses such as the one you just posted.

I also very clearly stated that I was not defending Zec’s statements or did you chose to ignore that part of my post?

No I chose my words very carefully because I am not an authority on the issue. As far as what information I have I’m not going into it here.

No they didn’t and I wasn’t acting like one. @MrB is more than capable of ignoring my caution and there is absolutely nothing I can do about it. Again my post was an attempt at calming things down. Not trying to stir the pot or claim some authority that I don’t have.

I apologize if what I said came across the wrong way. And I apologize if it was offensive to you and others.

No one is asking you to "go into it here"--not me nor @MrB.
Neither @MrB nor I am "going into it here".
What @MrB, @VV76, @FollowingHim, @FollowingHim2, and myself and some others are discussing are matters of principle--NOT gossip. Much is at stake here because of all that has happened, and if principles are not freely and openly aired, discussed, fluffed, and adult conversations fostered, then the mess just festers and contaminates that which hasn't already been affected. Foundational principles are not affected by information. Objective vs subjective brings much needed fresh air. If you don't touch it, you can't fix it. Warning someone to not apply principles to any situation is a guaranteed failure recipe for the issue to ever resolve.

I clearly saw your reference to "Zec's statement". Your warning to "steer clear" "stay out of this" carried more weight with far reaching ramifications. That's why I chose to address it.
I'm casually wondering if your "attempt at calming things down" is akin to a nasty family incident that has devastated the entire clan, but when someone from the outside with some wisdom and fresh perspective offers to discuss the situation even though they may not know and don't want to know all the nitty-gritty, they're patted on the back with a knowing smile and told, "We're just not talking about it. Everything's going to be alright. It's pretty bad, and a lot of people have been hurt, but let's just give it some time. It'll blow over. 'preciate your concern, but we got this."

I do accept your apology and consider it sincere. I'm also completely open to hearing you out on anything else you see differently than I do.

Reactions: MrB
These verses came to mind as I read through more of the post this morning.

Ephesians 4:25 Wherefore putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbour: for we are members one of another.
26 Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath:
27 Neither give place to the devil.
29 Let no † corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.
30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.
31 Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice:
32 And be ye kind one to another, † tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as † God for Christ’s sake hath forgiven you.

Galatians 5:22-23
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

I dare say we may be dealing with spiritual warfare.

My opinion on that particular thread is that she was posting an opinion and a particular viewpoint, (which she’s entitled to even if its wrong) and multiple guys jumped on the one or two items that are their own personal trigger, and proceeded to absolutely ruin a thread that had all kinds of upside potential for encouraging discussion with the women about what is probably the largest hurdle most families have in realizing a plural family.

IF I could double, triple, quadruple LIKE this one, I would because it's slam dunk spot on!!!!! BAM! This is exactly what happened. Then because her husband read what was being said about his wife by other men--name calling, labeling, questioning her salvation, just because her definition of submission didn't dot her "i's" and cross her "t's" like they want it in their home, she was "poison" "ungodly" "bad influence" and the list could go on--and HE stood up for her, covered her--now he's the bad guy! Really?!? What's being said by all of this is that if the man is a man's man, a real Patriarch who stands at the door of his tent, protects his woman from other men who have a mouth and little sense of decency, not only is his wife not welcome in this Biblical Families community, he isn't either!

Or perhaps that's just your interpretation, @rejoicinghandmaid, my dear friend. Going toe-to-toe doesn't necessarily mean 'unwelcome.' I agree with @Verifyveritas76 that it's a shame that we missed out on a discussion that could have been highly enriching and enlightening, and I'm also not one to philosophically or theologically agree that Jennifer's position on submission was dangerous, but this could also be a situation of wanting to have your cake and eat it too: if one needs to be covered in a discussion, then why wouldn't we expect one to just have the man who does one's covering (in Jennifer's case it would be her husband; in yours that would be @Verifyveritas) do one's speaking for one from the very start?

There is a bit of feminist duplicitousness in some of the comments people are making in this discussion. Which is it? Should women be granted full-privileges access to serious discussions? Or should they be protected from the full ramifications of such full participation? Culturally, we have shifted to a point of incongruency in which we're trying to have our cake and eat it, too: yes, women can fully participate, but we still have to treat them with kid gloves; we can be yelled at for either opening doors for them or not opening doors for them. I do recognize, as @Well loved wife has reminded us from Galatians, that we're also reasonably discussing the need to demonstrate the fruits of the spirit, but at the same time it's clear that backs are up because the treatment in question was directed toward a woman. I'm not justifying all particular behaviors that occurred in the Just An Observation thread, but I am pointing out that we're at risk of heading down the road toward invalidating some of the core building blocks of patriarchy. I've been very clear that I do not favor the bullying interpretation of patriarchy that favors (b) iron rule and silent female acquiescence over (a) a combination of loving male leadership and deserved submissive female followership. However, it's important to keep in mind that male headship is a cornerstone of patriarchy. Any given man isn't required to be a patriarch, and any given woman isn't required to be seeking patriarchy, but it is foundational to Biblical Families, so it's only natural that many patriarchs are going to be vigorous in their reactions to those who propose anything that smacks of asserting that men shouldn't be the heads of their families -- and at least that much is clear to me about Jennifer's motivations.

I would have liked to have heard much more from her about the way she and her husband structure their marriage, but what she described (and don't forget that it was done in the context of the teaser of it being related to a mystery religion) was not submission by any normal definition of the word. Submitting was not what she was describing. Personally I'm not threatened by however anyone else structures their marriages; based on my own experiences with trying to be egalitarian resulting in crash-and-burn relationships, I wouldn't advise anyone to purposefully structure their marriage in that manner, and I know you're not looking for an egalitarian marriage either, but I do not consider Jennifer's assertions to be dangerous to me.

However, the more time I spend reading the Just An Observation thread and the discussion about it, the more I'm beginning to see what ultimately transpired as being fruit of the poisonous tree. I've already said that she should have subdivided her original post into three different threads, preventing almost all of this. I'm not going to try to get into her mind to determine what her motivations were for mixing everything up like that, but it's unmistakable that she did create a poisonous tree -- as well as that none of those who later wrassled with her forced her to plant that poisonous tree. In toto, that first post by Jennifer reads in retrospect like she knew full well she was stirring up a hornet's nest, but when she couldn't get out of the way fast enough to avoid getting stung she acted like she hadn't been the one to inspire the hornets' ire.

Given having read all the remaining posts on here up to this point, I believe I should point out before closing that I neither have had telephone contact with Jennifer or her husband, nor have I any additional information which you don't have, @rejoicinghandmaid, but I do know this: just having additional information doesn't necessarily make one fully informed. There are always multiple high horses in situations like these, and it's essential to recognize that the high horse one chooses will inevitably gallop down the path determined by the bias inherent in the people whose viewpoint on the matter one chooses to accept as the supposed whole truth.

Anyone who's been horseback riding knows what happens when the horse is in charge.

Lastly, I have the following caution: we live in a broken world, and because of that we have all had experiences in our life that have left us with unresolved pain. It is always beneficial to require of oneself that one doesn't conflate our own unresolved pain with reports from others of experiencing pain. It's far too easy otherwise to unconsciously assume that what is going on with someone else matches what happened to oneself, when that may actually be the furthest thing from the truth. Sometimes people unwittingly present distorted versions of what they've experienced. Sometimes people present only what makes them look good and others look bad. Sometimes they altogether leave out things that are pieces of the puzzle necessary to have an educated full picture of the situation. Sometimes they even outright lie. And sometimes, though, they tell falsehoods and don't even realize they're doing it.

I believe we'd all probably be better off if we limited ourselves to being willing to stand up to tell our own stories and to share our own painful experiences, making suggestions about how we would have felt more welcome if matters had been handled differently in our own experiences instead of jumping to the defense of others. And I'm sure the place to start with this is for me to take some of my own advice.

Last edited:
I'm also completely open to hearing you out on anything else you see differently than I do.

I was glad to read this final statement, @rejoicinghandmaid, in the skirmish between you and @Pacman. He and I are guilty of one particular thing, or at least I am, but that's violating @FollowingHim's original instruction for men to refrain from getting up in women's faces in this particular forum thread.

I also want to commend you for jumping into this fire but consistently doing so without pulling out the gender card. Give me a call first if you feel tempted to use it!

:)

Thankyou everyone for your input on this thread. It has been very helpful to understand how everyone sees the current state of the forum, whether anything needs adjustment and what that might be.

Unfortunately, the very existence of such a discussion appears to be giving a small number of individuals the wrong impression that major changes are being made, and is causing these individuals to get worried about the possibility that the forum could go in a direction they disapprove of. Much as I have been careful to dissuade such concerns throughout this discussion, in increasingly clear language, based on conversations I have had elsewhere these concerns appear to remain whatever I say. So, to underline that there is nothing to be concerned about, I am closing the discussion now.

Thanks to everyone who has been involved in this conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back