• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Women's Bible Studies

NS4Liberty

Male
Should women do women's bible studies? If they do, should it be supervised by a man (husband or elder)? Is there a need for women to teach the Bible to each other? If not what is a Women's Ministry goal?

The congregation I grew up in had a ladies class, but an Elder would sit in on the class. At the time, I thought that was crazy, but now that I have been trying to shed myself of feminism I'm leaning towards that being a good idea. About a year ago, my wife hosted a Beth Moore bible study with the ladies of our church. I didn't give it a second thought then and nothing bad came of it. She wants to do another ladies bible study (may or may not be Beth Moore) and I mentioned it may not be a good idea. Between 1 Cor. 14:35 and 1 Tim. 2:9-15, I'm not sure of the wisdom of women studying together without men present. I want to be careful not to make an over adjustment and fight for things that are not biblical.

I'd certainly consider starting by asking for copies of what the study will be studying, and that way I would have the opportunity, should I decide it's worth my effort, to influence the manner in which my wife participated.

Pick one's battles carefully, unless you have already established 100% patriarchy.

Just my two cents.

I'm thankful my wife has almost always chosen wisely which Christian women's counsel she's sought. There is no perfection in the process, but my goal is to thread the needle in a way that Kristin can joyfully make the transition from feminism to respectful cooperation.

Here's where it is helpful. The scripture calls older women to teach the younger in the aspects of loving your husband and loving your children. These are the studies that will be the most fruitful. Your oversight will always be necessary because whether you like it or not you are responsible for what your woman/women teach. You are the head and everything under you is your responsibility. Does that mean you have to babysit? If you have a prudent woman than most likely not, checking in periodically will suffice. We live in a world full of sin, but let me give you the ideal that I see in the scripture. A daughter will be raised up in the Word by her father, then when she joins a man and his household he is now her head and is responsible for teaching her. Her questions will be brought to him. This will be the absolute most productive way because it is the design that Yah chose. And I repeat that women teachers should be focusing on teaching the other women how to love their husband and how to love their children.

On Thursday the brethren would get together and study, pray for each other, etc. So I asked my husband @Edward if he could ask the men if us wives could get together. We would let our husband's know what we would be discussing, example, praying for our husbands, etc. It was going well until one of the wives started bringing up topics that our husbands were discussing and her thoughts on it. We had to stop her right quick and inform her why we were gathering together. It wasn't to discuss what our husbands are studying together (even though each one may discuss with their wife at home) but to edify each other in loving our husbands, how we can pray for them/our children/each other, and to encourage each other on our schooling of children, etc. She was a little disappointed and slowly the wives stop coming. I truly miss those evenings.
Just my 2 cents.

I forgot to add..
Sometimes our nights would just consist of a glass of wine, a few hugs and just chat about our week thus far. Then make a meal plan for Sabbath.
That sounds like most of the prayer/study meetings Kristin attended; I think, actually, that those women would have been a pretty good resource regarding being a sounding board re: polygyny, too. Reactions would have been had, but those women truly care about each other and want to do what is right in the sight of Yah.

Should women do women's bible studies? If they do, should it be supervised by a man (husband or elder)? Is there a need for women to teach the Bible to each other? If not what is a Women's Ministry goal?

The congregation I grew up in had a ladies class, but an Elder would sit in on the class. At the time, I thought that was crazy, but now that I have been trying to shed myself of feminism I'm leaning towards that being a good idea. About a year ago, my wife hosted a Beth Moore bible study with the ladies of our church. I didn't give it a second thought then and nothing bad came of it. She wants to do another ladies bible study (may or may not be Beth Moore) and I mentioned it may not be a good idea. Between 1 Cor. 14:35 and 1 Tim. 2:9-15, I'm not sure of the wisdom of women studying together without men present. I want to be careful not to make an over adjustment and fight for things that are not biblical.
I have, since seeing the beauty of patriarchy and the stench of feminism, really changed my thoughts on women's Bible study. Yes, a man should be present if one is to actually take place. Guess I don't see the need.

I learn from my man and he washes me in the Word.
I would, however, love to see women getting together teaching new recipes, cleaning tips, fellowshipping while children play, encouraging each other to be better wives, moms, homemakers and such. That would bless my heart. Maybe I just defined plural marriage and a sisterwife relationship 🤷🏻‍♀️😁🙃 #heysisterwifewhereareyouat?!

Back in May before the relationship changed with hubby and his very likeable secretary she sent me this.20220809_074839.jpg

She thanked me for helping her become the best version of herself. I thought that was sweet, but never really was very comfortable with compliments.....and until this morning I never even read the line following the highlighted part.....but it's true!

I realized after their relationship changed that basically expresses the reasons I always wanted another wife in our family. I am not a competitive person, but I like making others happy....and I love the inspiration....and intimacy that having someone this close affords.
Now she is the one inspiring me to be the best version of myself.
I've got to say.....this is everything I hoped it would be. :)

I learn from my man and he washes me in the Word.
I would, however, love to see women getting together teaching new recipes, cleaning tips, fellowshipping while children play, encouraging each other to be better wives, moms, homemakers and such. That would bless my heart. Maybe I just defined plural marriage and a sisterwife relationship 🤷🏻‍♀️😁🙃 #heysisterwifewhereareyouat?!
My first thought was practicality. Yes what about how to sew, knit, crochet, repair and taylor clothing, first aid and health, cooking, cleaning, canning, gardening. As a man I learned how to sew as a boy from my mom, and have a knitting machine and sock knitter, embroidery machine, serger etc. Right now my time is consumed with the sawmill, remodel, antiques and the boat.

First off, Beth Moore is probably one of the most prime examples of why women shouldn’t be trying to exegete Scripture and teaching the congregation. She is in open rebellion because not only does she twist Scripture, she also teaches mixed congregations. No one should be listening to her for those reasons alone, but consider the following. In 1 Timothy 2:11-14, it says:
[11] Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. [12] But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. [13] For Adam was first formed, then Eve. [14] And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.

If one of the reasons given for why women are to remain silent and not teach men is because Eve was deceived... how then does it stand to reason that a woman should exegete Scripture and teach other women? Older women are given specific instructions on what they are to teach younger women. In Titus 2:3-5, it says:
[3] The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; [4] That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, [5] To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.

I don’t think it could get much clearer.

First off, Beth Moore is probably one of the most prime examples of why women shouldn’t be trying to exegete Scripture and teaching the congregation. She is in open rebellion because not only does she twist Scripture, she also teaches mixed congregations. No one should be listening to her for those reasons alone, but consider the following. In 1 Timothy 2:11-14, it says:
[11] Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. [12] But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. [13] For Adam was first formed, then Eve. [14] And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.

If one of the reasons given for why women are to remain silent and not teach men is because Eve was deceived... how then does it stand to reason that a woman should exegete Scripture and teach other women? Older women are given specific instructions on what they are to teach younger women. In Titus 2:3-5, it says:
[3] The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; [4] That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, [5] To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.

I don’t think it could get much clearer.
I love what you said, but a bad example is not proof.
There IS Joel Osteen out there running around loose.
Ellen G. White
Jim Jones
Joseph Smith
Joyce Meyer

*Ducking and running for the hills*

“If I had the balls,” said the Queen, “I could be King”.

I love what you said, but a bad example is not proof.
There IS Joel Osteen out there running around loose.
Ellen G. White
Jim Jones
Joseph Smith
Joyce Meyer

*Ducking and running for the hills*
Scripture speaks for itself without any modern examples, i only mentioned her because she was brought up in the OP. Not sure why you’re running for the hills, I agree, every one of the other people you gave as examples are equally as nefarious as B.M.

Scripture speaks for itself without any modern examples, i only mentioned her because she was brought up in the OP. Not sure why you’re running for the hills, I agree, every one of the other people you gave as examples are equally as nefarious as B.M.
I figured that the Osteen and Meyers fans were gathering rocks.

Back