• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Women's clothing

pinkjms

☠ BANNED ☠
Female
I personally enjoy wearing dresses and skirts. I know the Bible says a woman should dress modestly but the question I had is there anything stating a woman shouldn't be wearing pants or shorts?

I personally enjoy wearing dresses and skirts. I know the Bible says a woman should dress modestly but the question I had is there anything stating a woman shouldn't be wearing pants or shorts?

Nope nothing against pants or shorts. And modesty means appropriate to the occasion so... beach would be different from jury duty. Etc...

I went to John Hagie’s Church in San Antonio for about a year. One Sunday a young woman walked down from the balcony and she had on a skin tight dress. She had a beautiful body and I watched her walk the way out of the sanctuary. If she was married my thoughts were not pure. If she was single? Still not exactly pure thoughts.

Pants and shorts? Will they cause the average guy to stop listening during the sermon? The same thoughts exist outside the church.

I went to John Hagie’s Church in San Antonio for about a year. One Sunday a young woman walked down from the balcony and she had on a skin tight dress. She had a beautiful body and I watched her walk the way out of the sanctuary. If she was married my thoughts were not pure. If she was single? Still not exactly pure thoughts.

Pants and shorts? Will they cause the average guy to stop listening during the sermon? The same thoughts exist outside the church.
That's very true

Nope nothing against pants or shorts. And modesty means appropriate to the occasion so... beach would be different from jury duty. Etc...
So what you're saying is a woman can walk around in her panties and bra on the beach, and that would be okay? or if you go to a special kind of beach you don't have to wear anything.
Many moons ago when my wife and I were not Christians, we dressed like the world. I would go around shirtless, in shorts and her, well very sexy in her young age, tight pants, tight shorts, and tight top. Then we became Christians, followers of the Holy Scriptures. Some of you might take offense with that because you're going to say I'm saying you're not, that is not what i am saying. We put away those worldly pleasures and she saves her body for me and I save my body for her. I don't want her to share her body with every Tom, Dick, and Harry out there. Just my two cents.

It's all in the spirit, as my husband often says. Just like the aforementioned story about the tight dress in church, in today's society, you know when someone is trying to attract attention or when someone is purely happy or comfortable. Totally agree that to dress for the occasion is a big aspect of modesty, and each couple has a different perspective. If you're single, then use your best judgement and be guided in your humble spirit! If you're married, then obey your husband wishes and dress in a way that brings him honor.

So what you're saying is a woman can walk around in her panties and bra on the beach, and that would be okay? or if you go to a special kind of beach you don't have to wear anything.
Many moons ago when my wife and I were not Christians, we dressed like the world. I would go around shirtless, in shorts and her, well very sexy in her young age, tight pants, tight shorts, and tight top. Then we became Christians, followers of the Holy Scriptures. Some of you might take offense with that because you're going to say I'm saying you're not, that is not what i am saying. We put away those worldly pleasures and she saves her body for me and I save my body for her. I don't want her to share her body with every Tom, Dick, and Harry out there. Just my two cents.

Totally cool with you having a specific standard for your woman. And I have some for mine as well. The question was about what the Bible says and that’s what I answered.

Folks I understand that you are attempting to convey your practical application to this subject but that application is very much opinion based. The question was about what the Bible says. I can tell you that the modern understanding of lust is completely incorrect and inconsistent with scripture. It’s largely used to control men and teach them that their natural sexuality is somehow dirty. We should be using scriptural definitions and basing our standards on that. If we have a “higher” standard that’s fine but attempting to push that on someone else because of our opinion is not right.

I guess let me put it to you this way if it was a shame for a priest to show a little leg then it definitely should be a shame for us. We are to be the priest of our home.

I suppose if you live out in the country like we do I guess you could have a free for all LOL.

Yes Pacman I agree with you 100%, we as the heads of our home will be responsible before the father for what we allowed to be done or not done in our homes.

I'd say that clothing nowadays is designed to empower women in an unhealthy way, instilling pride and a sense of power over men (not really a revelation I know...) and men's clothing is being designed more and more to subject them to a feminate nature. But other than the bible addressing us to say to not dress as the opposite sex, I think Pacman is spot on in that everything else is subjective.

I say that if a woman is in the market for a man it’s fine for her to advertise what she has.
Married women need to just plain stop advertising. Modest skirts and dresses do the best job of not drawing attention to your body.

You will not find this spelled out in the Bible, but I feel that it is the most practical application of Biblical principles.

What bugs the dickens out of me is when women show great amounts of their breasts and then complain that men cannot keep their eyes off of them. If you are going to, *ahem*, titillate me, live with the results. In the meantime I am struggling with sinful thoughts due to the titilacious twins.

LoL!! Yes no one wants to see that!! I’m not a prude in any manner but I feel somethings are best unseen. My exhusband always wanted me to wear low cut blouses. (He wanted to show me off his words, not mine) but I always felt very uncomfortable.
Now that I have moved I ask myself would I wear this in front of Jesus...if the answer is no then I don’t wear it.

A friend of my grandmother's used to say that "girls should wear their skirts long enough that when they bend over the Mysteries not gone"
I'm sorta inclined to agree.

Saturday a woman (part of a biker group) walked into the station with painted-on jeans and a bra... requesting somebody to take a picture of them.
I was just sitting back in the corner stifling a laugh as the old man who owns The Joint says "sure I'll be right out!"

Back