• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Women's Fears

NickF

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Male
I'm working on a book, and looking for material and understanding. Currently on a jealousy and fear section. Would you mind sharing what you have dealt with or know someone else has dealt with when it comes to fears or insecurities. And what you or someone you know has dealt with concerning jealousy?
Looking for specifically the viewpoints of women. But I'd love to hear the insights you men have come up with as well.

I think the fear that women have comes from a complete misunderstanding of marriage. If you layout a solid foundation of what God made marriage to be then I think those fears disappear. Most of the women who have a problem with plural marriage have grown up and lived with the wrong ideals for marriage and thats where the fear stems from. As well as mistrust in God, that He means what He says when He says that its a good thing for a man to find a wife whether it's the 1st or the 5th. As well as trust in their husbands ability to take care of them and still love them as he loves himself with other women in the picture.

Last edited:
I think the fear that women have comes from a complete misunderstanding of marriage. If you layout a solid foundation of what God made marriage to be then I think those fears disappear. Most of the women who have a problem with plural marriage have grown up and lived with the wrong ideals for marriage and thats where the fear stems from as well as mistrust in God, that He means what He says when he says that its a good thing for a man to find a wife whether its the 1st or the 5th. As well as trust in their husbands ability to take care of them and still love them as he loves himself with other women in the picture.
Absolutely agree here. But I'm hoping to address those specific fears, to shine light on them and show them for what they truly are. Like hearing a noise in the woods at night. Turn on a flashlight and it's just a mouse. Nothing to fear. Listing what those fears will pull them out of the darkness and shine a light full on it.
She will be prettier than me - Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and physical beauty is not the whole picture
More talented than me - You have strengths, so does she. Compliment each other rather than compete
She will make him smile more
She will be more fun to be around
He won’t like me anymore when he gets a new wife
He won’t want me anymore when he gets a new/better girlfriend
I won’t get the attention or affection I need
I’ll have to share him and I don’t want to share
What if he decides I’m not worth keeping anymore because she is _____.

When a woman is reading through the book, and that fear she is feeling is listed along with an explanation of how to deal with the fear and what it's really like from a man's perspective. I can address the fear and help shine light on why it might seem scary but it's much less of a problem than the fear says it will be. The adversary will be marching a parade of fears through her mind. They will be shadowy monsters in the dark with far more power than they actually hold. As a husband, one of my privileges is to set some bonfires of truth, that illuminate those big dark shadowy monsters and show them to be dumb and mute idols that some fool erected there in the forest. They have no power unless you give them power. Once you understand what they are, you can start the process of ignoring the fears. And if the fears are rooted in practical unmet needs like getting some one on one time alone. Then we can know, "hey, the moment I'm feeling this way, we all know what the real issue is. We know what the solution is, and it can be addressed right away instead of being shoved down and festering."

I've seen over and over where a wife will feel jealousy and decide she's just going to deal with the feelings. Shove em down in a hole, and "deal with" it. Then the jealousy turns into resentment, then into bitterness. All the while all she really needed was an afternoon alone with her man to chat, and get some tenderness and affection.

Likewise there seems to be a set of fears that if understood, lose most of their power. Love multiplies, it does not divide. It's rooted in a tiny bit of truth. He will have less time to love on the first child if there is a second child. That does not mean a father will love the second less. In fact, the two children playing together increases his love and affection for them both. Similarly a second wife may "take" some of his time from being given to the first. But that is His time, it does not belong to the first wife. And just because he gives the second some extra attention, does not mean he loves the first any less. From this we can root out the core issue of the matter. Feminism has created an entitlement idol. The first feels entitled to or ownership of all of that man's time and attention.
This entitlement creates a false sense of injustice when she doesn't get what she feels she deserves. Because someone is stealing what belongs to her. Or he is giving away something that is not his to give someone else! If this core component is not brought to light, the real issue can never be addressed. The infection can never be dealt with at the source. Because of this, she will only ever be able to fight against her emotions saying there is injustice and theft occurring. Rather than facing the truth that that time and affection belongs to her husband to dispense as he deems wise and productive. If that truth is embraced, she can only then begin to walk in truth and re-groove the path from jealousy and entitled posessiveness towards reverence and compersion (agape love).

Compersion is our wholehearted participation in the happiness of others. It is the sympathetic joy we feel for somebody else, even when their positive experience does not involve or benefit us directly. Thus, compersion can be thought of as the opposite of jealousy and possessiveness. (https://www.whatiscompersion.com/)

The above is taken from a secular website and polyamorous movement. While worldly, we can recognize in it a pre-existing element of truth found in God's word. That is Agape. A true and deep love for another that is self sacrificing and giving rather than entitled and focused on gain.

So, with all that Keith level of excessive wordsmithing. What are some of the specific "fears" a woman might be facing or hearing as lies from our adversary?

She will be prettier than me - Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and physical beauty is not the whole picture
More talented than me - You have strengths, so does she. Compliment each other rather than compete

I've been the new wife and I've also been the wife seeing the new wife come into the family.

There's going to be a honeymoon period with a new wife and hate to say but you just have to accept it. It will pass, I promise! But when things are new and while your husband is getting to know his new wife it's a honeymoon just like you had with him. In time things will get back to normal and in a lot of cases your husband will appreciate you even more than he did before.

Absolutely agree here. But I'm hoping to address those specific fears, to shine light on them and show them for what they truly are. Like hearing a noise in the woods at night. Turn on a flashlight and it's just a mouse. Nothing to fear. Listing what those fears will pull them out of the darkness and shine a light full on it.

When a woman is reading through the book, and that fear she is feeling is listed along with an explanation of how to deal with the fear and what it's really like from a man's perspective. I can address the fear and help shine light on why it might seem scary but it's much less of a problem than the fear says it will be. The adversary will be marching a parade of fears through her mind. They will be shadowy monsters in the dark with far more power than they actually hold. As a husband, one of my privileges is to set some bonfires of truth, that illuminate those big dark shadowy monsters and show them to be dumb and mute idols that some fool erected there in the forest. They have no power unless you give them power. Once you understand what they are, you can start the process of ignoring the fears. And if the fears are rooted in practical unmet needs like getting some one on one time alone. Then we can know, "hey, the moment I'm feeling this way, we all know what the real issue is. We know what the solution is, and it can be addressed right away instead of being shoved down and festering."

I've seen over and over where a wife will feel jealousy and decide she's just going to deal with the feelings. Shove em down in a hole, and "deal with" it. Then the jealousy turns into resentment, then into bitterness. All the while all she really needed was an afternoon alone with her man to chat, and get some tenderness and affection.

Likewise there seems to be a set of fears that if understood, lose most of their power. Love multiplies, it does not divide. It's rooted in a tiny bit of truth. He will have less time to love on the first child if there is a second child. That does not mean a father will love the second less. In fact, the two children playing together increases his love and affection for them both. Similarly a second wife may "take" some of his time from being given to the first. But that is His time, it does not belong to the first wife. And just because he gives the second some extra attention, does not mean he loves the first any less. From this we can root out the core issue of the matter. Feminism has created an entitlement idol. The first feels entitled to or ownership of all of that man's time and attention.
This entitlement creates a false sense of injustice when she doesn't get what she feels she deserves. Because someone is stealing what belongs to her. Or he is giving away something that is not his to give someone else! If this core component is not brought to light, the real issue can never be addressed. The infection can never be dealt with at the source. Because of this, she will only ever be able to fight against her emotions saying there is injustice and theft occurring. Rather than facing the truth that that time and affection belongs to her husband to dispense as he deems wise and productive. If that truth is embraced, she can only then begin to walk in truth and re-groove the path from jealousy and entitled posessiveness towards reverence and compersion (agape love).

Compersion is our wholehearted participation in the happiness of others. It is the sympathetic joy we feel for somebody else, even when their positive experience does not involve or benefit us directly. Thus, compersion can be thought of as the opposite of jealousy and possessiveness. (https://www.whatiscompersion.com/)

The above is taken from a secular website and polyamorous movement. While worldly, we can recognize in it a pre-existing element of truth found in God's word. That is Agape. A true and deep love for another that is self sacrificing and giving rather than entitled and focused on gain.

So, with all that Keith level of excessive wordsmithing. What are some of the specific "fears" a woman might be facing or hearing as lies from our adversary?

Well I think there are general fears like you've listed that most women will have but then I think there are also more specific fears that will be more personal and not necessarily shared with other women because they are specific to that certain woman's character or that certain woman's short comings. I think a more productive way of helping other people thru their struggles is teaching the man about how he can help his wife thru what she needs to overcome because you won't be able to cover the total amount of fears that women can dream up in their minds. I think it helps much more to inform the man and the man can manage his specific wife's emotions on a personal level. (Just my 2 cents)

I don't know if this is helpful at all, because I think it's a real legit fear of something totally possible. Fear of losing friends and family over my husband taking another wife. And while I can pray about that, and I try not to think about it because it is a pointless fear right now, it's also something that actually could happen in the future. It's not my brain making stuff up, thinking he might not like me as much etc, and that not being true at all.

As for fears over the other woman, being afraid that she won't like me. And early on I thought that if he was dating someone that I didn't like or that she didn't like me, that I would have a say in that. Then I learned a lot more about submission, and the fact that it has nothing to do with me and that's not my choice. She might not like me, but she might be perfect for Samuel. It's a fear that she won't like me, but also a fear of loss of control. (I've dealt with this BTW, I'm all good now, but at one point it was rough).

I don't know if this is helpful at all, because I think it's a real legit fear of something totally possible. Fear of losing friends and family over my husband taking another wife. And while I can pray about that, and I try not to think about it because it is a pointless fear right now, it's also something that actually could happen in the future. It's not my brain making stuff up, thinking he might not like me as much etc, and that not being true at all.

As for fears over the other woman, being afraid that she won't like me. And early on I thought that if he was dating someone that I didn't like or that she didn't like me, that I would have a say in that. Then I learned a lot more about submission, and the fact that it has nothing to do with me and that's not my choice. She might not like me, but she might be perfect for Samuel. It's a fear that she won't like me, but also a fear of loss of control. (I've dealt with this BTW, I'm all good now, but at one point it was rough).
Love this! It really is his choice. He may ask you to vett her somewhat, but he has the final say.

Something that I had to deal with was the fear of not being able to control when or how or who my husband might marry in the future. I didn't like that everything could change in a day and that it was completely biblical for my husband to bring a new wife home out of the blue.

But now, after many conversations with my amazing husband, I realize I just need to trust that no matter what he is still going to love me just as much and that I need to trust him. I also like the mindset that my husband has: "I just work here". Everyday our lives bring crazy new changes and events, so if I don't trust God and my husband I'm gonna be miserable. So I've been also trying to have the mindset "I just work here" and enjoy the crazy and definitely not boring life that God has for us. I like that my husband is in charge and that I don't have to worry about those things.

Agree with you on the losing of family. Friend too, but family is important to me.

Matthew 12
46¶While He was still speaking to the crowds, behold, His mother and brothers were standing outside, seeking to speak to Him.

47Someone said to Him, “Behold, Your mother and Your brothers are standing outside seeking to speak to You.”fn

48But fnJesus answered the one who was telling Him and said, “Who is My mother and who are My brothers?”

49And stretching out His hand toward His disciples, He said, “Behold My mother and My brothers!

50“For whoever does the will of My Father who is in heaven, he is My brother and sister and mother.”

Back