• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

World War One

rockfox

Seasoned Member
Real Person*
Male
This image brought to remembrance the 100 year anniversary of the end of the War To End All Wars.

Drvw2pBXcAMD4r2.jpg

I read the testimony of a Brit once that all across the countryside, you'd have towns were an entire generation was wiped out by that war.

This isn't just a post about remembrance, but of the lessons we can learn from the aftermath. The result of this wasn't just the shocking loss of young life, but a generation of old maids never to be married. While Europeans and others in other times embraced polygamy to deal with it, this time we did not.

And as is the wont of women who can't get a man, they look to the government to support them. Thus did feminism expand even further. Thus do we see the viral stage of Britain's current multi-generational single mother crisis.

How much better would our situation be today had that generation simply embraced God's form of marriage?

How much senseless loss of life would have been avoided had the leadership embraced the Christmas truce in '14 instead of suppressing it? Not just in that war, but in avoiding the preconditions that lead to a bigger war with a bigger death toll twenty years after.

A war which saw significant social engineering as women were pushed into the workforce; sowing the seeds of independence and feminism. Which resulted in the transformation of our economy from a rural agrarian one to an urban industrial one. And the resultant fracturing of community, embrace of idle consumerism, and ultimately the sexual revolution and divorce epidemics.

From my small rural locality in New Zealand, seven men went to WW1. Only two returned. One died of gas soon after. The only one to live a natural length of life was my great-grandfather - with a weak arm due to a bullet wound.

My grandparents generation were half raised by single aunts, their stories are full of aunties.

The Christmas truce only occurred on the British lines. The more secular French never had such a truce. It was entirely the doing of the Protestant British and Protestant Germans, who never wanted to be fighting their brethren.

The more secular French never had such a truce. It was entirely the doing of the Protestant British and Protestant Germans, who never wanted to be fighting their brethren.

Wikipedia anyway reports the French were involved to some extent. And Germany wasn't only a Protestant nation; many are Catholic. But I have no direct info on the relative participation of different nations or sects.

But it is true that this was born out of the Christian spirit.

Certainly I'm simplifying it. It was incredibly complex because it was informal. And it wasn't the only such informal truce. I should have said that as a general rule, it occurred mostly on the British lines, and largely because of the shared religious views of those involved. But it was highly varied and actual information on it is quite conflicting.

British Foriegn Minister Edward Gray at the start of the war, "The lamps are going out all over Europe, we shall not see them lit again in our life-time".

How right he was.

WW1, although not really the first global war, was certainly a watershed moment in human history. The world was not the same aftewards.

Back