• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Would anybody help me to translate a book from Portuguese? It's about Polygamy in Bible

meryc

Male
I have written a "book" about polygyny in the bible, it has 137 pages and I've published it on Amazon using a pseudonym [Xenos Magos] (Link: https://www.amazon.com/-/pt/dp/B0B8...ing=UTF8&qid=1660132938&sr=8-6&language=en_US). The problem is that I do not know enough to translate it into English. It is in "Portuguese-Brazilian", and I'd like to have some help.

As I'm using a pseudonym, I cannot use references to other books, authors, and so on, because I already have some publications in Portuguese (it would give me a lot of problems now).

I'm here asking if anybody could help to translate this book into English (the file is attached here - take a look and answer me).

[I can try to translate it into English, but I need somebody to read it].

Thank you all.

Attachments

• Sexo Casamento e Divórcio nas Escrituras - Físico.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
I notified a pro poly friend in Brazil who is bilingual: English and Portuguese. I'll let you know if he contacts me (unless he comes here first... 😁)

Although I don't speak Portuguese, I had a quick look at your book, and it is clear that you are very comprehensive, it looks like it would be excellent.

Knowing that translation of such an enormous book is a massive job though, I must ask one question: Why do you want to translate this book into English, specifically?

As far as I can gather (as an English speaker only), your book follows a very standard and correct pattern of looking through the Biblical examples of and instructions for marriage and demonstrating that it is both patriarchal and in some cases polygamous. The pattern of argument you use and the verses you choose are excellent. But the same pattern of argument is used by most English writers on the topic also. There is no shortage of such books in English. There is, however, a large shortage of such books in other languages.

If you are going to go to the massive effort of translating this book into another language, why would that language be English, a language already well served by such literature? Might it not be more efficient to choose an already-published English book by another author that covers the same points, recommend that to English speakers, and put your time instead into providing this information to speakers of another language that currently has no such books available?

I can say from experience, there is at present, only a limited English market... you may not sell a bunch of copies, but you do serve as another witness against monogamy only...

Although I don't speak Portuguese, I had a quick look at your book, and it is clear that you are very comprehensive, it looks like it would be excellent.

Knowing that translation of such an enormous book is a massive job though, I must ask one question: Why do you want to translate this book into English, specifically?

As far as I can gather (as an English speaker only), your book follows a very standard and correct pattern of looking through the Biblical examples of and instructions for marriage and demonstrating that it is both patriarchal and in some cases polygamous. The pattern of argument you use and the verses you choose are excellent. But the same pattern of argument is used by most English writers on the topic also. There is no shortage of such books in English. There is, however, a large shortage of such books in other languages.

If you are going to go to the massive effort of translating this book into another language, why would that language be English, a language already well served by such literature? Might it not be more efficient to choose an already-published English book by another author that covers the same points, recommend that to English speakers, and put your time instead into providing this information to speakers of another language that currently has no such books available?
Brazilian people are proud. When they see a book in English they believe that it gives that book authority. So, it is one way to make my book increase in its acceptance.
By the way, there are some arguments that I didn't find even in English, so it is a way to make the thing richer too.

Thank you for your answer.

I can say from experience, there is at present, only a limited English market... you may not sell a bunch of copies, but you do serve as another witness against monogamy only...
I've sent you the file in the other forum.

Back