• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

www.atruechurch.info

That's great! Wish they could just say the truth, without publicly calling out other teachers as "false."

These guys may be pro-poly, but their other teachings are definitely... Interesting? The vast majority of this, I've never heard before.

Certainly an interesting bunch! The primary focus of the website seems to be to show that every other Christian group and teacher is evil, and only they have the truth and will be saved. This is how most cults speak, so is a big red flag. And they certainly have some unusual views about the nature of God.

On the other hand, they appear to strive to understand and apply every passage of scripture as clearly and plainly as possible. This is highly commendable. That doesn't mean I agree with their interpretations of every passage, certainly not. But I do like their approach.

Worth reading if you want to be challenged to consider scripture from angles you may never have looked at it from before. Not a site to send an impressionable person to until you've read it very carefully yourself to ensure you are comfortable with their teachings.

You guys are really making me curious... what are some of the things you find 'unique' about their theology. I'm not looking for a fight here, just very curious, so don't worry :)

The fundamental issue is that the entire focus is how other Christians are false teachers and unsaved, while somehow he has the truth. Now obviously we all believe our own views are correct, but we need the humility to recognize that we may be wrong. Yes, we are to expose false teachers. But that doesn't mean that everyone who disagrees with us is a false teacher.

Luke 9:41-50 is a classic example.
Also bear in mind Romans 14. There are many things that we may differ on while still being brethren. Certainly for each of these issues there is only one true answer, and we should strive to understand it better, but it isn't necessarily a reason to reject someone who comes to different conclusions.
Remember also that we are not God and have imperfect knowledge (1 Cor 13:12).

Basically, there are some issues that are essential, and some that are not. Darwin Fish rejects this view (directly stating this), instead holding that every part of the Bible must be understood correctly, ie in the way he understands it, or you are going to hell.

In his search to understand the Bible correctly he has done some very interesting study, some of which may be valuable reading. But the basic assumption behind the site, that only following his narrow interpretation of every last detail of Scripture will bring salvation, is seriously false.

Samuel I'm not trying to give you a big head but this may be one of the most direct, concise writeups of this issue I've seen.

Very well said, thank you.

I'm putting this thread in my bookmarks folders. I really like how it turned out. Especially the complete lack of flaming and name calling that usually involves theological discussion. Reminds me of when I was talking with my brother-in-law and his wife who are LDS. His wife just quietly stated that it was nice to be able to talk to someone without being told they were going to hell.

Thanks, Jonathan, for bringing this up for our perusal.

Ok, I see what you mean now...

I do tend to agree with his 'narrow road' perspective, so A LOT of the stuff he says on his site rings true with me. Personally, I'm not out to preach away all the falsehoods in the modern church so I don't bother myself with thumping my bible at people. It is nice, though, that they put all that info up on their site. It serves as a reminder for me how carefully I must watch my life and doctrine. Plus it got me thinking about PM! :)

Fully understand that, I too think he makes some very good points.

Note also that you can learn a lot from interacting with people who are wrong, as well as people who are right. In his testimony on that site he shows that he was partly pointed towards the Bible by Mormon teachings, although he now rejects mormonism. I have learnt a lot from Catholic, Pentecostal and Messianic teachings, even though I follow none of those denominations and they are all very different! Sometimes I have learnt that something a particular group teaches is correct, other times being exposed to their teaching has caused me to study the Scriptures and find out that they are wrong - but learn a lot more on the way. Even Darwin Fish would not have come to his conclusions had he not carefully studied the teachings he now rejects.

His site is worth reading, IF you have sufficient knowledge of Scripture to be able to recognise if there are passages that may speak against what he is saying.

We must most importantly ensure we know the Scriptures well, so we can judge the teachings of all against them: as Darwin Fish very rightly stresses himself.

Samuel you are very good at writing a calm balanced answer.

I had a look at the site, noticed that everyone else in the world was wrong except DF the wise and true one; and put him in the personality cult basket.

ylop

Samuel,
I proclaim you; Moderator Extraordinaire

I would have had a more ylopian mindset

Johnathan, I just want to say thanks for bringing this site to light, I had never seen it before. I'm not good at balanced answers, I'm very biased when it comes to bible teachings. Either the Scriptures says a thing, or it don't. Do I believe everything on this site, No? But, It's a better stert than anywhere I've found lately. I have studied the Scriptures for many years, and not just the many bible versions, but many ancient documents, and I still don't know it all, neither does anyone else.

just, Me

Back